Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Seminary Schools???

Does anyone have any suggestions for Seminary Schools that an apostolic would benefit from going to? I checked into Dallas Theological Seminary, and they require a statement saying that you affirm the doctrine of the trinity. Although, it does not define the trinity in the student's statement (it does define it for the faculty and staff), I think I could get by with affirming the "trinity", but not affirming their definition of it. But I would still feel unconfortable with it. I am interested in historical studies, linguistics, and systematic theology. I am definitely intrigued by DTS Th. M. nad I know they are highly regarded. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a seminary school that an aposotolic would benifit from? One that is highly regarded? The biggest bang for the buck so-to-speak? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Dallas Seminary? Man oh man. That is the motherlode of dispensationalism. lol

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Dallas Seminary? Man oh man. That is the motherlode of dispensationalism. lol
From what I understand, they are very conservative with regard to biblical linguistics and textual criticism.... BTW, what's wrong with dispensationalism? Do you have any other suggestions?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDylan View Post
From what I understand, they are very conservative with regard to biblical linguistics and textual criticism.... BTW, what's wrong with dispensationalism? Do you have any other suggestions?
Covenant Theology is far more biblical. Dispensationalism is much too presumptuous, and, in my opinion, takes thoughts such as Israel getting its own "age" again in a millennium when the bible makes no plain statements at all about it. Romans 11, for example, states All Israel shall be saved, but it does not say it is outside the church age. Romans 9 states that God's regard of who "Israel" is pertains solely to the children of promise and "not all Israel is Israel."

The seminary is simply fanatical about dispensationalism.

Quote:
The Covenant of Grace became the basis for all future covenants that God made with mankind such as with Noah (Gen 6, 9), with Abraham (Gen 12, 15, 17), with Moses (Ex 19-24), with David (2 Sam 7), and finally in the New Covenant fulfilled and founded in Christ. These individual covenants are called the "biblical covenants" because they are explicitly described in the Bible. Under the Covenantal overview of the Bible, submission to God's rule and living in accordance with his moral law (expressed concisely in the Ten Commandments) is a response to grace - never something which can earn God's acceptance (legalism). Even in his giving of the Ten Commandments, God introduces his law by reminding the Israelites that he is the one who brought them out of slavery in Egypt (grace).

As a framework for biblical interpretation, Covenant Theology stands in direct contrast to Dispensationalism in regard to the relationship between the Old Covenant with national Israel and the New Covenant in Christ's blood. Regarding the theological status of modern day Jewish people Covenantalism is often referred to by its detractors as "Supersessionism" or "Replacement theology" due to the perception that it teaches that God has abandoned the promises made to the Jews and has replaced the Jews with Christians as His Chosen People in the earth. Defenders of Covenant Theology deny that God has abandoned his promises to Israel, but see the fulfillment of the promises to Israel in the person and the work of the Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth, who established the church in organic continuity with Israel, not a separate replacement entity.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM
She makes me look good!

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for Seminary Schools that an apostolic would benefit from going to? I checked into Dallas Theological Seminary, and they require a statement saying that you affirm the doctrine of the trinity. Although, it does not define the trinity in the student's statement (it does define it for the faculty and staff), I think I could get by with affirming the "trinity", but not affirming their definition of it. But I would still feel unconfortable with it. I am interested in historical studies, linguistics, and systematic theology. I am definitely intrigued by DTS Th. M. nad I know they are highly regarded. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a seminary school that an aposotolic would benifit from? One that is highly regarded? The biggest bang for the buck so-to-speak? Thanks!
If I am not mistaken...DTS is also heavy on the doctrine of cessation...meaning they believe that the HOly Spirit baptism, gifts, and miracles ceased with the apostles.

My wife am I am currently studying for our Masters of Divinity at ORU's School of Theology and Missions....great school, very heavy on the free operation of the Holy Ghost and power, believe that tongues are the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and describe the godhead as "one God in three modes just like Water, Ice, and steam"...just had to read a Richard Roberts book for a class and this was how he described the godhead.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant1 View Post
If I am not mistaken...DTS is also heavy on the doctrine of cessation...meaning they believe that the HOly Spirit baptism, gifts, and miracles ceased with the apostles.

My wife am I am currently studying for our Masters of Divinity at ORU's School of Theology and Missions....great school, very heavy on the free operation of the Holy Ghost and power, believe that tongues are the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and describe the godhead as "one God in three modes just like Water, Ice, and steam"...just had to read a Richard Roberts book for a class and this was how he described the godhead.
Sounds a LOT better.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant1 View Post

Are you traveling to a campus or studying online? Sorry to be nosy. Just wondering about your experience and costs.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
DTS has a very Catholic-based view of women's role in the church. :sshhh

See current persecution thread that Sister Alvear heavily posted on. Good stuff that shows how the historical thinking about women in ministry got so bad and muddled and influences our thoughts today.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Wheaton College has a great linguistics program at the graduate level. They also offer a Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical and Theological studies (which includes linguistics since it requires competency in both Hebrew and Greek).
Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Reformed Theological Seminary in Florida. You'd have the opportunity to study with one of the finest Christian minds of this era- John Frame.

http://www.rts.edu/faculty/StaffDetails.aspx?id=502

- Groucho Marx