Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Re: New here, with a question.

Great!!

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

This church thing is becoming more of a problem across denominational lines as time goes on, especially with the shunning and lack of acceptance. It's not just an apostolic church issue. It's a man-made standards issue that keeps people out who don't conform. Have you thought of beginning a home church with YOU teaching the Word and the informality and new people attending would be a fresh change to what you have been experiencing.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:39 AM
crakjak

Move to the Dallas area, there are many churches here that fit your position.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 11-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I have thought that perhaps with intensive clarification for our child, that may work.
Repentence, Jesus name baptism, and the Holy Ghost infilling are foundational apostolic doctrine. All the trinity pentecostal churches don't teach this to be necessary and that is false doctrine for sure. Whether or not a lady should wear skirt or cut her seems small doctrinally compared to Acts 2:38. I would rather go to a church and disagree with the dress code that is less important than go to a church who reject apostolic doctrine.

How could you feel more apart of people who scripturally haven't been born again than with people that you share foundational truth with. I hope you find a foundationally true church that would be more welcoming to your wife's differences in belief in regards to dress code, but until then I would hold out and try to be tolerant and respect the churches beliefs as much as you would want them to respect yours.

I am upc but our church makes a place for born again believers who don't go along with the traditional pentecostal dress. I am sad that culture has made it so difficult in the teaching of male and female. Stay connected with the foundational truth and God will reward you for your desire to be true to Him. I sympathize for your situation and will say a prayer right now.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

PHP Code:
[QUOTE=Seeking;1341758]I have thought that perhaps with intensive clarification for our childthat may work.[/QUOTE]

RepentenceJesus name baptism, and the Holy Ghost infilling are foundational apostolic doctrineAll the trinity pentecostal churches don't teach this to be necessary and that is false doctrine for sure. Whether or not a lady should wear skirt or cut her seems small doctrinally compared to Acts 2:38. I would rather go to a church and disagree with the dress code that is less important than go to a church who reject apostolic doctrine.

How could you feel more apart of people who scripturally haven'
t been born again than with people that you share foundational truth withI hope you find a foundationally true church that would be more welcoming to your wife's differences in belief in regards to dress code, but until then I would hold out and try to be tolerant and respect the churches beliefs as much as you would want them to respect yours. 

I am upc but our church makes a place for born again believers who don'
t go along with the traditional pentecostal dressI am sad that culture has made it so difficult in the teaching of male and femaleStay connected with the foundational truth and God will reward you for your desire to be true to HimI sympathize for your situation and will say a prayer right now
Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Well.... We visited the church I found. It was culture shock (lol). The pastor is oneness. He baptizes quoting both Acts 2:38 and Matt 28:19 and invokes both "In the name of Jesus" and the titles. He preaches repentance is all that is required for salvation and that baptism and the Holy Ghost baptism are part of growing as a Christian.
I think I was OK with the glitzy MTV style church service (video production announcements etc) and casual "carry your coffee and donuts in the sanctuary during service" atmosphere. Where we struggled was dropping our daughter off for Sunday school. She is 4. Her teacher was an older gentleman in a wheelchair. I was a little uncomfortable with this as some children need occasional assistance for toileting. I tried to be open minded even though he looked like a biker (not wanting to be judgemental). What threw us the most was that he was wearing a T-shirt that said "Too Drunk to Walk". Maybe I am more conservative than I thought. I thought that was inappopriate for church, for leadership and particularly for teaching children.
I definitely am oneness. I believe that in salvation per Acts 2:38. I may be back to square one. I just don't want to go to a Baptist Church. (My spouse's preferred solution). :-(
Old 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
PHP Code:

How could you feel more apart of people who scripturally haven
't been born again than with people that you share foundational truth with. I hope you find a foundationally true church that would be more welcoming to your wife's differences in belief in regards to dress codebut until then I would hold out and try to be tolerant and respect the churches beliefs as much as you would want them to respect
I am actually female. My husband was raised Baptist. He is uncomfortable with standards. I do not believe they are essential to salvation, but have lived them in the past and could do that again. I think it is a good way to live, just not necessary to salvation. He really struggles with the idea. For him, not owning a TV or watching sports is a hill he is "willing to die on". I started trying to live standards when we started going to the UPC church. It became an issue and I backed off. It is not my place to lead him. I spent the next 2 1/2 years praying my gizzards out for God to help him in this issue. After in depth discussions, I do not believe this situation will change. I had him contact our pastor and have lunch with him to discuss all of this. Maybe he can help resolve it.
I tried "leading from behind" (modifying my dress and behavior silently) and that does not work with my husband, it just makes him dig his heels in. It wasn't worth the tension. I don't believe it is essential to salvation and not willing to risk our relationship over it.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
Move to the Dallas area, there are many churches here that fit your position.
Oklahoma is pretty conservative. :-/
Old 11-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I am actually female. My husband was raised Baptist. He is uncomfortable with standards. I do not believe they are essential to salvation, but have lived them in the past and could do that again. I think it is a good way to live, just not necessary to salvation. He really struggles with the idea. For him, not owning a TV or watching sports is a hill he is "willing to die on". I started trying to live standards when we started going to the UPC church. It became an issue and I backed off. It is not my place to lead him. I spent the next 2 1/2 years praying my gizzards out for God to help him in this issue. After in depth discussions, I do not believe this situation will change. I had him contact our pastor and have lunch with him to discuss all of this. Maybe he can help resolve it.
I tried "leading from behind" (modifying my dress and behavior silently) and that does not work with my husband, it just makes him dig his heels in. It wasn't worth the tension. I don't believe it is essential to salvation and not willing to risk our relationship over it.
Many upc churches have t.v. now. In Louisiana you can find people with wine in the fridge. People wearing shorts too, old people at that.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Many upc churches have t.v. now. In Louisiana you can find people with wine in the fridge. People wearing shorts too, old people at that.
Does anyone know of a liberal apostolic church in Tulsa? There are no liberal UPC churches, one ALJC Church that is conservative, independents that broke from the UPC for not being conservative enough and some PAW churches. That may be an option (although we are not black so we would be very much in the minority). Maybe there is an independent I am not aware of that would be a good fit.