Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Re: Mark 16:9-20 & I John 5:7-8

Canon issues deserve a post of their own. The "official" church did not vote on the canon until, if I recall, the Council of Trent.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:09 AM
Banned

yes, and it is worth noting that those councils split the Est'd church into shards
but the point there is that men voted the current Canon into existence, and did not follow Scriptural decree in the matter of casting lots, and apparently did not see fit to preserve those many works referred to in Scripture, either; tho the RCC might have a different perspective there.

This is not saying that God did not inspire Scripture, but that men seek to take It away from you.

Last edited by shazeep; 08-04-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

From my limited perspective, canon was originally based on theological content of the books. A few books that were very popular devotional material were sometimes included in early "bibles".

What we have now is more of a consensus that a collection by decree.

But canon history is not my focus, just a curiosity.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

God can use canonizers as much as Balaam's ass. The books are the books we should have.

Look carefully at the Tabernacle candlestick described in the bible. Each of the 6 branches had three knops, flowers and bowls (Ex 25:33). Each branch would therefore have 9 elements altogether. The centre shaft had four sets of knops, bowls and flowers (Ex. 25:34)! That makes 12 elements on the shaft.

When you take 9 elements on each branch, with 6 branches, that makes 9X6=54.

The shaft is 12.

54 + 12 = 66. The precise number of the books of the Bible!

Not only that, but the shaft and three branches makes 39 elements. The exact number of Old Testament books! The remaining three branches have 27 elements. The number of books in the New Testament.

Don't ever question if we have the right number of books in our bibles! It's no coincidence the candlestick lamps had 66 elements.

Psalm 119:105 KJV Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg candlestick.jpg (9.4 KB, 1 views)

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Wow!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

yet we know that God does not interfere with free will; so you justify the councils of men here, and the council of God gets shorted imo.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

whoops!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
God can use canonizers as much as Balaam's ass. The books are the books we should have.

Look carefully at the Tabernacle candlestick described in the bible. Each of the 6 branches had three knops, flowers and bowls (Ex 25:33). Each branch would therefore have 9 elements altogether. The centre shaft had four sets of knops, bowls and flowers (Ex. 25:34)! That makes 12 elements on the shaft.

When you take 9 elements on each branch, with 6 branches, that makes 9X6=54.

The shaft is 12.

54 + 12 = 66. The precise number of the books of the Bible!

Not only that, but the shaft and three branches makes 39 elements. The exact number of Old Testament books! The remaining three branches have 27 elements. The number of books in the New Testament.

Don't ever question if we have the right number of books in our bibles! It's no coincidence the candlestick lamps had 66 elements.

Psalm 119:105 KJV Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Those numbers, mysteriously, only apply to the Greek Bible (LXX plus NT). The Masoretic Bible does not have that many books...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
The idea that there are interpolations in the Bible doesn't bother me one bit. I worship and serve God, not the Bible.

At some point, as important as the Bible is to and for us, our experience and life belong to the Author, not the Book.

If humans, over time, have in some way, corrupted the texts of the Bible, it doesn't make God any less real, the immersion of the Holy Spirit any less real, the Gospel any less effective, the blood of Jesus any less powerful.

Think of it: Everything that is in the Bible as it pertains to a holy, Godly life, is still true, even if the Bible never existed, or was destroyed on a global scale.

1st century illiteracy was very high. Middle Eastern cultures and ethnic groups were oral cultures, that followed the voice, and not page, of God.

If we date Adam back to nearly 6,000 years ago (or more), and no part of the Bible was written down in any form until Moses arrived on the scene, you have people living for God, experiencing His grace, His love, His power, His wrath, and His salvation, without one word ever written down, for over 3,500 years (plus or minus, as needed to get to the time of Moses).

Not a single patriarch had a Bible, and we are heirs of Abraham, who believed God (and not the Bible, because it didn't exist in any form, even partially) and it was accounted to him as righteousness.

So, what can a few bad translations, interpolations, and other human mistakes do, that the CREATOR AND SUSTAINER OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE BY THE WORD OF HIS POWER, can't undo, in the hearts of those who were created and redeemed by Him?
1. Prior to the writing of the Scriptures, the only people who knew God were prophets with direct inspiration or people taught by them. Who can claim that today, that they don't need a Bible they get it direct from God?

2. If God does not preserve his Words then nobody can KNOW what God said, did, does, or wants, is doing, or will do.

3. If God does not preserve his Words then there is no reason to believe ANYTHING in the Bible is "true" except by personal, autonomous opinion or desire, purely arbitrary.

4. The Word is from the beginning, was with God, and WAS God, and was made flesh. There are not two "Words of God", and the Scriptures are "the Word of God". Therefore, the Bible is GOD IN WRITTEN FORM, the Bible is God communicating Himself to mankind. The Scriptures are the written record of the LOGOS of God, which is God Revealing Himself. The Bible is therefore God in the form of human language and preserved in print. Not that the paper and ink are God, anymore than the skin and bones of Christ are God. But just as the skin and bones of Christ are "God manifested in flesh", and so the man can be called God, so too the Bible is God manifested in human language, and thus the Logos is indeed very God.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Banned

i agree with you, and simultaneously see that one can go too far down that path also. If Queen James can substitute Easter for Passover then i suggest you check the lexicon and interpret Scripture for yourself, otherwise some Org. will be anxious to do it for you. "Logos" might only reside in the original, which makes quite a bit of sense imo.