Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-11-2020, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Charismatic Sweep

My Pastor shared this on our church's Facebook page some time ago. I've often thought about it and I decided to share it here.

The Charismatic movement's effect on traditional Pentecostalism seems to have been generally negative from many perspectives.

From the words of Elder Steve Eply:

I saw the early days of the Charismatic movement as a boy. Initially many were hungry for more of God that was preached and experienced by their denomination. But it didn't take long to realize they were interesting in the blessing but not in the cost. Their movement exploded across the globe. Real experiences were quickly replaced by sensationalism rife with strange doctrines and practices. Huge mega churches blossomed with unconverted people praying in a "prayer language" and bopping to the newest trends in music.

Now in my senior years I reflect we did not convert many of them. They were like the people Jeremiah prophesied about "wild asses in the wind". But their effect on the Pentecostal movement has been devastating. Even the late Bishop Gilbert Patterson of the Church of God in Christ bemoaned the fact the congregants of his movement were not receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost because there was no change in their lives.

The influence of this delusional movement has forever altered some areas of our movement. Flashing lights, smoke machines, Hillsong-style music, folks dressed like they are going to a picnic instead of church. They are like the folks who spoke half Ashdod and half the language of the Jews.

The doctrine of Balaam is what it is.

Holiness standards are too heavy a burden to bear. Jewelry becomes acceptable, makeup, cut hair, immodest dress. No clear doctrinal distinctions. Hollywood is no big deal. Professional sports is in. Preaching separation is out.

My voice may not be much be I am going to lift it in pleading and defending the old paths.

We are just going to keep on doing doing what we have always done.

Preaching, Prayer, Praise.

Holiness is still in style.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Last edited by Bro Flame; 02-11-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Re: Charismatic Sweep

He put in words what I actually think.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
He put in words what I actually think.
It seems to be a fairly common consensus among us in the Apostolic realm.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:55 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
It seems to be a fairly common consensus among us in the Apostolic realm.
We’re in a realm now
Old 02-11-2020, 10:58 AM
New User

This thread has a video of a message by an Assembly.. Assemblies... of God pastor. You may find it interesting.

http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ght=Clendennen
Old 02-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I agree with the overall point, but cutting hair isn't sin.

The hyped up services with the lights and graphics seems to be the big trend. Telling people they got the Holy Ghost when they didn't is huge where I am from. Saw an evangelist tell do it at a tent revival. Same evangelist preached about uncut hair in relation to angels(Stoneking is his mentor) then had sisters lower their hair at the end of service. Some ate it up, but it was all hype.

I could go on. It can be discouraging.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post

The hyped up services with the lights and graphics seems to be the big trend. Telling people they got the Holy Ghost when they didn't is huge where I am from. Saw an evangelist tell do it at a tent revival. Same evangelist preached about uncut hair in relation to angels(Stoneking is his mentor) then had sisters lower their hair at the end of service. Some ate it up, but it was all hype.

I believe a lady who cuts her hair is in rebellion against the Word of God. However, I concur with EVERYTHING else in your post.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
We’re in a realm now
Realm, arena, movement, sect.

The Apostolic faith we are.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
This thread has a video of a message by an Assembly.. Assemblies... of God pastor. You may find it interesting.

http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ght=Clendennen
I've had someone else bring this video up to me before, I'm sure. I'm certainly going to listen to it when I have the chance to do so.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post

The Bible tells us if a woman is shorn or shaven (i.e. cuts her hair), it is a shame (1 Corinthians 11:6).