Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

The Wedding

Usually, I don't post this type of stuff out here but I just wanted some feedback. My sister is getting married in March at a "destination wedding" meaning, most people have to spend big bucks to get there. She used some airline miles for me, as a gift for my 25th wedding anniversary that will be coming up this summer. No one else in my family (husband or kids) is going to go. We cancelled our trip to my MIL's for Christmas because of PTO time for me not being enough otherwise.

My sister and I do not have a good history. She is a very liberal, vegetarian, feminist type and I don't have that much against that but she has no respect for the life I have lived at all and pretty much despises it. She has never been married before and no kids.

She favors one of my children over the other and tried to get the one and not the other to come. I intervened and said both needed to be invited and didn't hear anything back. We just avoided each other until yesterday when I wrote to her that I found a nice dark purple dress to wear.

She doesn't want me to wear it. My mother is wearing dark purple and since it is a tropical wedding, she doesn't want two dark purple dresses worn. She did not ask me to stand up in the wedding. She did not ask me to sing (even though I sing very well). She has pictures posted on her website of who is coming. My brother's picture is posted although mine is not. My brother is not going and I am.

She told me I didn't really have to come to the wedding if I didn't want to and she waited quite a while to purchase the ticket after I told her that both my kids needed to be invited and not just one.

Sigh. So, I guess all that looking for a dress yesterday and being happy I found one is time gone to the wind.....

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: The Wedding

Wow, so are you going anyway?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
Wow, so are you going anyway?
Yes, I am planning on it but I don't feel very welcome.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Yes, I am planning on it but I don't feel very welcome.
Boy, I can understand that. Is she not a happy person?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
Boy, I can understand that. Is she not a happy person?
No, I don't think she is, generally. She has climbed the ladder of success and has great success in her job. But with men, very unsuccessful. She has had many boyfriends over the years. This last one that she is marrying is 10 years her junior and, that's not terrible necessarily but he is not the best guy either. Has some issues that we know of.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Not riding the train

That's a tough deal. My oldest sister treated me terrible ALL of my life UNTIL I turned 40.

She called and said we were all meeting for a Sisters Day Out and going to make it an annual event.

I told her that it was a joke for her to call it a "sisters" thing and that I would not be attending, that I had just turned 40 and would not allow anyone to treat me any way they wanted anymore, I had had enough.

I normally never say anything to my family about anything, but this time, I threw caution to the wind.

She didn't talk to me for two years and now we are fast friends. Time heals all wounds.

Sometimes people are like Indians. You can't show you are afraid or they will stab you with a knife. Stand up to them and you will be smoking a peace pipe.

This is just how I felt to handle it. It worked for me, but then again, that's how I am. I let you push and push and push and then I come out of the corner fists raised. LOL!

You sure you aren't just wanting to get on a plane and go somewhere? LOL!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
That's a tough deal. My oldest sister treated me terrible ALL of my life UNTIL I turned 40.

She called and said we were all meeting for a Sisters Day Out and going to make it an annual event.

I told her that it was a joke for her to call it a "sisters" thing and that I would not be attending, that I had just turned 40 and would not allow anyone to treat me any way they wanted anymore, I had had enough.

I normally never say anything to my family about anything, but this time, I threw caution to the wind.

She didn't talk to me for two years and now we are fast friends. Time heals all wounds.

Sometimes people are like Indians. You can't show you are afraid or they will stab you with a knife. Stand up to them and you will be smoking a peace pipe.

This is just how I felt to handle it. It worked for me, but then again, that's how I am. I let you push and push and push and then I come out of the corner fists raised. LOL!

Boy, Pressing-On, I hope I have not said anything on AFF that upset you! I promise I'll do better! I don't want you coming out of the corner.... Okay?

Been Thinkin

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
No, I don't think she is, generally. She has climbed the ladder of success and has great success in her job. But with men, very unsuccessful. She has had many boyfriends over the years. This last one that she is marrying is 10 years her junior and, that's not terrible necessarily but he is not the best guy either. Has some issues that we know of.
Okay, I hope you have a pleasant time. And maybe this is kind of an olive branch she is extending.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
Boy, Pressing-On, I hope I have not said anything on AFF that upset you! I promise I'll do better! I don't want you coming out of the corner.... Okay?

Been Thinkin
I've only hit three people in my life.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post

HAHAHA!!!!!!

Be kind, ILG. Be very, very kind.