Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeemedcynic84 View Post
The reason it is said like that is because Trinitarians believe in one God... They stick to the trinitarian terminology out of tradition...

The way to understand the trinity is to look back at Nicea when they adopted it and understand who/what they were fighting when they adopted it and why they adopted it...

The groups they were trying to eliminate were ones that were teaching that Jesus was not God at all, but the first created thing that then created the Holy Spirit and God gave Jesus all his god-powers who then gave the Holy Spirit all the god-powers, too... (Arians)

There were other groups saying that Jesus wasn't human but some sort of divine vision everyone saw but wasn't really there since God can't become part of the natural world because the natural world was evil and was actually created accidentally by demons (long story)... (Gnostics)

There was still another group that taught that Jesus' Father was not actually YHWH of the Old Testament but that YHWH was evil and a satan-like figure... (Marciuns)

These are the kinds of groups they were fighting in those early days... and they are the kinds of groups the Trinity was adopted to fight... Look at the basics of the Trinity:

1. The Father is God
2. The Son is God
3. The Holy Spirit is God
4. There is one God

that's the jist of it... everything else is just trying to make those 4 statements all be true and make sense...
thank you, but I still don't see how a personal pronoun can on the one hand refer to being and on the other refer to distinction in persons....

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 PM
redeemedcynic84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
thank you, but I still don't see how a personal pronoun can on the one hand refer to being and on the other refer to distinction in persons....
it doesn't make sense, it never was meant to make complete perfect sense in every way because it never did...

oneness doesn't make complete sense Biblically either if you honestly look at it....

If what we say about oneness is absolutely true, why does Paul refer to the Father & Son as seperate things?? Why does Jesus refer to His Father's plan as if it is something different than His own? Why does Jesus essentially beg for His life in Gethsemene? Why does Jesus say he'll send another in reference to the Holy Ghost??

The more I really look and study about what God is, the more I think we just need to shrug our shoulders and admit that we don't know, but that we do know a few things, and those few things are the 4 points I listed in my last post...
Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

We don't know everything? Seriously?!!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
it doesn't make sense, it never was meant to make complete perfect sense in every way because it never did...

oneness doesn't make complete sense Biblically either if you honestly look at it....

If what we say about oneness is absolutely true, why does Paul refer to the Father & Son as seperate things?? Why does Jesus refer to His Father's plan as if it is something different than His own? Why does Jesus essentially beg for His life in Gethsemene? Why does Jesus say he'll send another in reference to the Holy Ghost??

The more I really look and study about what God is, the more I think we just need to shrug our shoulders and admit that we don't know, but that we do know a few things, and those few things are the 4 points I listed in my last post...
Im just trying to get to the bottem of this sort of Trinitarian view and wording, answering by stating what is wrong with Oneness is not helping. There are plenty of other threads already on Oneness and it has been stated ad nauseum that Oneness is not perfect either

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:26 PM
redeemedcynic84

Quote:
Im just trying to get to the bottem of this sort of Trinitarian view and wording, answering by stating what is wrong with Oneness is not helping. There are plenty of other threads already on Oneness and it has been stated ad nauseum that Oneness is not perfect either
my point isn't to rip on oneness...

My point is that I don't think it was really intended to make complete perfect sense... It doesn't, and isn't really suppose to...

I garuntee you that the people who put together this theory realized that it doesn't make a ton of sense... They just had no better explanation...
Old 09-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
my point isn't to rip on oneness...

My point is that I don't think it was really intended to make complete perfect sense... It doesn't, and isn't really suppose to...

I garuntee you that the people who put together this theory realized that it doesn't make a ton of sense... They just had no better explanation...
Well Im not even bothering to say in principle or concept the Trinity is flawed, though I believe that to be true. My point is that such a way of a Trinitarian explaining their beliefs is self contradictory

Old 09-07-2007, 02:52 AM
redeemedcynic84

Quote:
Well Im not even bothering to say in principle or concept the Trinity is flawed, though I believe that to be true. My point is that such a way of a Trinitarian explaining their beliefs is self contradictory
but anytime you try to refer to God in terms of humanity you are not going to be able to explain it on a sensible, logical, and non-contradictory level... There will always be flaws as long as we are trying to explain God in our terms...

but all we have is our terms... To say any view of the Godhead that maintains that there is just one God while confirming Christ's divinity, the Father's divinity, and the Holy Ghost's divinity is flawed is, in my opinion, a flawed view of God and the Bible....
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Im gonna see if I can persuade Dan to take a quick pic or your knees
Prax, I'm glad to see this lighter side of you!

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The reason it is said like that is because Trinitarians believe in one God... They stick to the trinitarian terminology out of tradition...

The way to understand the trinity is to look back at Nicea when they adopted it and understand who/what they were fighting when they adopted it and why they adopted it...

The groups they were trying to eliminate were ones that were teaching that Jesus was not God at all, but the first created thing that then created the Holy Spirit and God gave Jesus all his god-powers who then gave the Holy Spirit all the god-powers, too... (Arians)

There were other groups saying that Jesus wasn't human but some sort of divine vision everyone saw but wasn't really there since God can't become part of the natural world because the natural world was evil and was actually created accidentally by demons (long story)... (Gnostics)

There was still another group that taught that Jesus' Father was not actually YHWH of the Old Testament but that YHWH was evil and a satan-like figure... (Marciuns)

These are the kinds of groups they were fighting in those early days... and they are the kinds of groups the Trinity was adopted to fight... Look at the basics of the Trinity:

1. The Father is God
2. The Son is God
3. The Holy Spirit is God
4. There is one God

that's the jist of it... everything else is just trying to make those 4 statements all be true and make sense...
5. The Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Spirit, and the Spirit is not the Father. This is how Trinitarians attempt to make those statements true.

Oneness do not add anything else to those statements except that the Son is God in the form of a man.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Believer

Quote:
That seems like an equivocation fallacy though. On the one hand a personal pronoun, such as "he" designates a person. On the other hand it designates a being.

Let's stay on track here. That statement...do you as a Trinitarian agree with it? How do you explain the equivocation where a masculine personal pronoun indicates a person and then later it designates not a person but a being. I'm kinda confused as to how Trinitarians can refer to Father as a HE (person) but then refer to the Trinity as a whole as a He (Person?) or to the Being as a He that is revealed as three He's (persons).

it seems that to some degree Trinitarians see the Trinity as a person on one level that exists as persons on another level....

The question was answered, just not to your satisfaction. I’ll say it again, God is one Being. There isn’t anything wrong with using personal pronoun when speaking about God as one Being. I don't think Trinitarians care either way because it doesn't change the doctrine. I think the problem is that Oneness are using their own definition for the word "person" and not what it meant when it was first used to describe the distinctions. It was about the same time period that the terms “modes” were coined.