Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-23-2015, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

Newbie question!

Hello all!

I just had a quick question. I have only been apostolic for a little over a year. Now before I ask let me state that my church has never mention anything to me ever on makeup, jewelry, skirts, or cutting hair. I only came to know about these standards as I researched online. Any who, I was reading a blog yesterday and it talked about deut. 22:5 and that being the reason why women are to wear skirts/dresses. But then I'm thinking as a newbie what about the other verses in deut.? Why hold on to this one verse if we are no longer bound to the law of Moses? Can you still dress modestly while wearing pants? Also, if you still look like a woman are pants ok?

Another question. If a man had mid back length hair but still cuts it regularly. Is that ok?

I'm sorry for all the questions. Hope someone can give some clear insight. Again, I'm just a newbie and still learning so much on this walk!
Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Banned

Re: Newbie question!

You are asking for "clear insight" from men, who all disagree on these matters! Let the Holy Spirit guide you, is my advice.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Banned

If you spend time "Lost in the Spirit", the Holy Ghost will show you that holiness, which starts within, will cause us to dress modestly to please our Savior within us. The whole point of being Spirit filled is to please God, or we are not on track in our walk with God.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

You will get many different answers on this question, but here is my 2 cents.

De 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment:for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

The underlined part is what makes this exsist after the law of Moses. There are ceremonial laws that actually make no sense to us today, but had a purpose at the time. The things that God hates such as pride, etc.... still have not changed. If God hates something then, He will still hate it now.

Quote:
Mal. 3:6 For I am the Lord, I change not;
Cross dressing is something God hates. The act that is not the person. The next question you should ask yourself could ladies wearing pants be considered that. I will not answer for you, it is something you must decide for yourself. Depending on the church you go to this may matter some to you. I am seeing that more and more churches are letting up on these standards and I believe that people are finding out that it is not as black and white an issue as it has been made to be in the past.

Be prayerful before coming to any conclusions and also be sensitive to how you feel when wearing pants or skirts. The Holy Ghost will lead and guide you in all truth.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Deut 22:5 isn't about women wearing pants. It's root meanings are about women taking the role of a man in battle, and a man taking the role of a woman.

Modesty is main thing. There is no dress code supported in scripture. The current UPC dress standard is a man-made standard based on western values and prejudices.

If it were a biblical mandate, you wouldn't have DKB saying it's okay for women in India to wear pants. Nor would my friend have been told, before going overseas to help with some missionaries, to not be shocked by seeing women in church leadership wearing pants.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
You will get many different answers on this question, but here is my 2 cents.

De 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment:for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

The underlined part is what makes this exist after the law of Moses.
That's not the best answer, wadr

Lev 11:10 KJV And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 04-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Retired Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy002 View Post
Hello all!

I just had a quick question. I have only been apostolic for a little over a year. Now before I ask let me state that my church has never mention anything to me ever on makeup, jewelry, skirts, or cutting hair. I only came to know about these standards as I researched online. Any who, I was reading a blog yesterday and it talked about deut. 22:5 and that being the reason why women are to wear skirts/dresses. But then I'm thinking as a newbie what about the other verses in deut.? Why hold on to this one verse if we are no longer bound to the law of Moses? Can you still dress modestly while wearing pants? Also, if you still look like a woman are pants ok?

Another question. If a man had mid back length hair but still cuts it regularly. Is that ok?

I'm sorry for all the questions. Hope someone can give some clear insight. Again, I'm just a newbie and still learning so much on this walk!
Sis,

You ask some excellent questions. We all have our thoughts and ideas on these subjects, but I think the best advice you have been given on this thread is to seek God, study His word, and let Him guide you. Of course that applies to everything -- not just these matters. God will guide you in the path He wants you to go in His timing as long as you continue to hunger and thirst after righteousness and seek him with all your heart.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. - Psalm 51:17

Jude 21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And of some have compassion , making a difference : 23 And others save with fear, pulling [them] out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Deuteronomy chapter 22 addresses rules about thing a person cannot mix together. Do not mix 2 kinds of seeds in your vineyard. Do not plow with 2 different animals. Don't mix wool clothes with linen clothes.

In verse 5, Moses says to not mix guy clothes with girl clothes.

The "abomination" thing also applies to eating pork and lobster. It was a big "no no" then, but not now.

Since Deut. 22:5 is nowhere else mentioned anywhere in the Bible, I would not worry about it.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post

Lev 11:10 KJV And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
Quote:
Shall be an abomination unto you
It doesn't say an abomination unto God it says you (Hebrew people). My interpretation still stands.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post

Also the Hebrew words for abomination are different in these scriptures. I am not condemning anyone nor am telling this young lady what to do I am only showing my point of view from scripture. I don't understand why it is so touchy a subject to people. My question is if scripture was more definitive would it still be an issue. That makes it a matter of the heart. Personally I wouldn't condemn a lady for wearing pants if they were modest, but I still teach De. 22:5 because I feel that people should be informed. People can decide for themselves, but our church staff has a dress code.

Last edited by good samaritan; 04-23-2015 at 05:31 PM.