Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: UPC doctrinal contradiction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPFSNu_QNs

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Ok, first of all I am a little bugged by something. The UPCI website does not publish the articles of faith. Yet, for doctrines of the UPCI, they publish a bunch of lame tracts..TRACTS! In one place I read that we (the UPCI) don't believe in creeds and articles of faith. That seems to be a contradiction itself. Why not publish the AOF on the website?

Well, that led me to this, pointed out by an anti-Oneness Trinitarian. He was making an issue of Oneness saying sins are forgiven by water baptism. I quoted the AOF saying sins are forgiven by faith when we repent. He quoted David Bernard's booik saying sins are remitted by baptism

"Baptism is important only because God has ordained it to be so. God could have chosen to remit sin without baptism, but in the New Testament church He has chosen to do so at the moment of baptism. Our actions at baptism do not provide salvation or earn it from God; God alone remits sins based on Christ's atoning death. When we submit to water baptism according to God's plan, God honors our obedient faith and remits our sin. "
"The New Birth" by David Bernard, chap. 6 entitled "Water Baptism"

What do you all think on this?
Which backs up my contention that no oneness person can truly say your lost if you haven't spoken in tonuges, because their own literature shows that at the very latest point forgiveness of sins happens at water baptism.

I believe it happens earlier than that, namely at the time of genuine faith/repentance.

Strangely in DKB book "The Message of Romans" he teaches that one is justified by faith, but of course he insterts a note at the end of the dialouge that the DEFINITION of saving faith=repentance, water baptism in JN, and HG with evidence of other tongues. Strange, when I read Romans 4, I never got that.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
lol..yes always. But still, why the contradiction with the stuff Bernard writes on remission?
He's of the "other party" in many ways, but I don't think he really has any problem with the older AOF either. He seems to be really big on "Don't Rock the Boat!"
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
Which backs up my contention that no oneness person can truly say your lost if you haven't spoken in tonuges, because their own literature shows that at the very latest point forgiveness of sins happens at water baptism.

I believe it happens earlier than that, namely at the time of genuine faith/repentance.

Strangely in DKB book "The Message of Romans" he teaches that one is justified by faith, but of course he insterts a note at the end of the dialouge that the DEFINITION of saving faith=repentance, water baptism in JN, and HG with evidence of other tongues. Strange, when I read Romans 4, I never got that.
I think DB would characterize "justification" simply as being positionally right and therefore able to receive forgiveness of sins and Spiritual regeneration

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjen01 View Post
hey guys if you are gonna start a thread about every doctrinal contradiction found in the UPCI....AFF is going to need bigger servers.
No kidding. I spent years trying to bring a lot of divergent thoughts and opinions together. The greatest resistance always came from the "angry" set that demanded everyone follow their newly framed "old paths" and ignore the blatant errors and contradictions.

I can't live like that.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
He's of the "other party" in many ways, but I don't think he really has any problem with the older AOF either. He seems to be really big on "Don't Rock the Boat!"
Well, that's odd. So what is the official position of the UPCI? The book or the AOF?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post

Read the AOF and you won't quite get that either.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, first of all I am a little bugged by something. The UPCI website does not publish the articles of faith. Yet, for doctrines of the UPCI, they publish a bunch of lame tracts..TRACTS! In one place I read that we (the UPCI) don't believe in creeds and articles of faith. That seems to be a contradiction itself. Why not publish the AOF on the website?

Well, that led me to this, pointed out by an anti-Oneness Trinitarian. He was making an issue of Oneness saying sins are forgiven by water baptism. I quoted the AOF saying sins are forgiven by faith when we repent. He quoted David Bernard's booik saying sins are remitted by baptism

"Baptism is important only because God has ordained it to be so. God could have chosen to remit sin without baptism, but in the New Testament church He has chosen to do so at the moment of baptism. Our actions at baptism do not provide salvation or earn it from God; God alone remits sins based on Christ's atoning death. When we submit to water baptism according to God's plan, God honors our obedient faith and remits our sin. "

"The New Birth" by David Bernard, chap. 6 entitled "Water Baptism"

What do you all think on this?
Bernard is right and the other I have no idea... LOL!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
I think DB would characterize "justification" simply as being positionally right and therefore able to receive forgiveness of sins and Spiritual regeneration
I don't know about that one prax, I think hes speaking out of both sides of his mouth, depending on the subject. I may post some quotes later, right now I don't feel like it. And I like Bernards stuff, I know some people have something against him, but if I'm reading something form a oneness author DKB is my favorite, but I'm just telling it like I've read it.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Pel, also notice the heading Repentance and Conversion has been changed... you must have an old copy.

Repentance no longer "converts" you...

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves