Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

City Hills Churches, Anyone Know About These?

I don't think I live near one and I am only interested in gleaning information on this group from people who actually know some of the former UPCI preachers who have started their own churches within this "denomination", if it is a denomination.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Re: City Hills Churches, Anyone Know About These?

I think you may search online.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I don't think I live near one and I am only interested in gleaning information on this group from people who actually know some of the former UPCI preachers who have started their own churches within this "denomination", if it is a denomination.
Did a google search and saw the website of one of these churches in TN and one in TX. Both are associated with Association of Related Churches - ARC.

https://www.arcchurches.com/
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Banned

I like their style. But I'm not finding much solid information on doctrine.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I like their style. But I'm not finding much solid information on doctrine.
For ARC? I couldn't find any statement of faith in the links. I had to google search "ARC Statement of Faith" in order to find them.

https://www.arcchurches.com/about/statement-of-faith

Quote:
We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, and authoritative Word of God. The Holy Spirit inspired the writers of the Old and New Testaments pointing to Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world.

We believe that there is One God, eternally revealed to the world in the Father, the Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. By Him were all things created.

We believe that God sent His Son, Jesus Christ to redeem all of mankind. Jesus Christ was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life on this earth, performed many undeniable miracles, was crucified for our sins, buried and was raised from the dead for our justification. By the name of Jesus Christ, and His name only, can mankind be saved. Jesus Christ sits at the Right Hand of the Father and will return personally in power and glory to receive His Church unto Himself.

We believe that mankind is sinful by nature and will perish without the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ as revealed in His Gospel. That God wishes that no one should perish, but that all would come to this saving knowledge through the preaching of the Gospel to a lost and hopeless world.

We believe in the multi-faceted work of the Holy Spirit to bring conviction of sin, revelation of the truth of the Gospel of Christ, drawing of the sinner to God, adoption of mankind into the Body of Christ through regeneration, and the distribution and administration of the Gifts and Fruit of the Holy Spirit in the believer’s life. Jesus Christ is the “baptizer with the Holy Spirit” for the empowerment of the Church through the Baptism with the Holy Spirit.

We believe in the local church as a place where believers gather together for edification, teaching from the Word of God, and ministry to and through each other according to their spiritual gift. The local church provides identity to its members as well as encouragement, interdependence, fellowship, correction, and discipline.
Standard stuff. Trinnie. Nothing about baptism. Holy Spirit is "empowerment."
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

City Hills TN - Pastor Brandon Shanks. http://cityhills.com/believe/

Statement of Faith:

Quote:
We believe in One eternally existing God who created all things and by whom all things exist. God has revealed Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence or being.

We believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. The Holy Bible, and only the Bible, is the authoritative Word of God. It alone is the Final authority in determining all doctrinal truths. We accept the Scriptures as the Final authority in all matters of faith and conduct.

We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, was crucified on Calvary for our sins, and bodily rose from the dead; and the he has been exalted to the throne of God where he is the only mediator between God and man. He alone is Lord and Savior. We believe that through his death, burial and resurrection we have personal salvation and power for victorious living.

We believe that all have sinned and stand in need of redemption, which is received by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, His death, burial, and resurrection. Those repenting of sin and being born again become children of God. Salvation is a gift from God, not a result of our good works or of any human efforts.

We believe that all people are called to repent. Repentance is a commitment to turn away from sin in every area of our lives and to follow Jesus fully.

We believe that following faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, new believers are commanded by the Word of God to be baptized in water in the Name of the Lord. Water baptism is an act of obedience identifying with Jesus in death to sin, burial of the old nature, and resurrection to new life.

We believe that the Holy Spirit is active in the world today and that the baptism of the Holy Spirit and His accompanying gifts and the life characteristics produced by His indwelling, are the privileges of all New Testament believers. Jesus spoke of two types of baptism-water baptism and Spirit baptism. Jesus Himself was baptized in the Jordan River by John the Baptist. After His water baptism, the Spirit descended upon Jesus. We should follow the example of Jesus and be baptized in water and in the Holy Spirit.

Holiness is God’s standard of living for His people. We may stumble along our path, but as born-again believers, we should always pursue a life of purity and righteousness. This is an ongoing process and it is through the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God that the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.

We believe the church has been called out of the world to be a group of people who follow Jesus Christ fully and love one another sacrificially. We believe the church, through the power of the Holy Spirit, is called to affect genuine spiritual change in the community. We believe the local church is the hope of the world! The church is called to be one group of people made up of many members, all using their talents and abilities for the cause of Christ.

We believe in the return of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth and the establishment of His kingdom. We believe in the resurrection of the body, the final judgement and the ultimate victory of the eternal Kingdom of God. This will occur at a date undisclosed by the scriptures. We await his return.
This SoF is a bit different from the ARC SoF. This is more oneness, includes salvation as repentance and baptism, but Holy Spirit is still left as an option.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

City Hills TX - Pastor Mitch Rose. http://www.cityhillstx.com/

Statement of Faith:

Quote:
GOD: We believe in One eternally existing God who created all things and by whom all things exist. God has revealed Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being. (Deuteronomy 6:4; John 1:1-14; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Genesis 1:26; Matthew 3:16-17, 28:19; Luke 1:35; Isaiah 9:6, John 10:30)

THE BIBLE: We believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. The Holy Bible, and only the Bible, is the authoritative Word of God. It alone is the final authority in determining all doctrinal truths. We accept the Scriptures as the final authority in all manners of faith and conduct. (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Proverbs 30:5; Romans 16:25-26)

JESUS CHRIST: We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, was crucified on Calvary for our sins, and bodily rose from the dead; and that he has been exalted to the throne of God where he is the only mediator between God and man. He alone is Lord and Savior. We believe that through this death, burial, and resurrection we have personal salvation and power for victorious living. (Colossians 1:15-18; 1 Timothy 3:16; John 1:1,14,14:6;20:28; Isaiah 9:6; Philippians 2:5-6; 1 Timothy 2:5; Acts 4:12; Revelation 1:8)

SALVATION: We believe that all have sinned and stand in the need of redemption, which is received by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, His death, burial, and resurrection. Salvation is a gift from God, not a result of our good works or any human efforts. (Ephesians 2:8-9; John 1:11-13, 3:1-9, 15-18; Galatians 2:16, 3:8; Titus 3:5; Romans 10:9-10; Acts 16:31; Hebrews 9:22; Romans 3:21-24)

REPENTANCE: We believe that all people are called to repent - it is God’s will that no one perishes, but everyone comes to life-changing repentance. Repentance is a commitment to turn away from sin in every area of our lives and to follow Jesus fully. (Acts 2:38, 17:30; Matthew 3:1-2; Isaiah 55:7)

WATER BAPTISM: We believe that following faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, new believers are commanded by the Word of God to be baptized in water. Water baptism is an act of obedience which signifies our union with Jesus in death to sin, burial of the old nature, and resurrection to new life. (Matthew 28:19; Acts 2:38, 8:12,16:36-38, 10:48, 16:33, 19:5, 22:16; Mark 16:16; Romans 6:4; Colossians 2:12)

HOLY SPIRIT: We believe that the Holy Spirit is active in the world today and that the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the initial sign of speaking in other tongues is the privilege and promise of all believers. (Mark1:7-8; John 14:16-18; Acts 1:5, 8, 2:1-4, 38-39, 4:31, 8:17, 10:44-45, 19:6)

THE CHURCH: We believe the church is the Body of Christ, the habitation of God through the Spirit, with divine appointments for the fulfillment of Jesus’ great commission. Every person who is born of the Spirit is an integral part of the church as a member of the body of believers. There is a spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 1:22, 2:19-22; Hebrews 12:23; John 17:11, 20-23)

THE SECOND COMING: We believe in the return of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth and the establishment of His Kingdom. We believe in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment and the ultimate victory of the eternal Kingdom of God. This will occur at a date undisclosed in Scripture. We await His return. (Matthew 24:30, 26:63-64; Acts 1: 9-11; 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8; Revelation 1:7)
Similar to City Hills TN. Oneness. Repentance and baptism. HS is a privilege of believers. Includes speaking in tongues.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferSimmon View Post
I think you may search online.
I know that.
I was hoping I could find someone on here who has connections to anyone in these churches.

I find the churches with these names have several Pastors who were once a part of UPCI churches. 2 from the same UPCI church (who left at different times) and one who was a good friend of one of the other preachers who became a Pastor.

Two of the preachers had the Pentecostal Fire in their sermons, when they were with the UPCI. None of them reflect that style of preaching in their sermons now.

All three of them were young preachers when they left.