Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_resolve View Post
I knew some dumb comments would be made when I looked through it. Some people just can't help themselves.
LOL!! I don't blame them. I would be giving them a hard time if they posted a mag with women playing softball or riding horses in blue jean skirts!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
A young Middle Eastern guy was the tow truck operator that came yesterday to take one of our cars to the shop. He had Arabic music blaring from the cab of his truck, thick accent, the whole deal.

We were laughing because our old 99 Taurus he was loading up had United States Marine bumper stickers on it and George W. Bush ones.

Hopefully he is one of the good guys and not part of an Alqueda sleeper cell.
You may find that car at the bottom of the river somewhere!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Brother Strange

Quote:
LOL!! I don't blame them. I would be giving them a hard time if they posted a mag with women playing softball or riding horses in blue jean skirts!

Yeah, you would.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I thought a little more substantial stuff might be discussed than the dress code!

For example did anyone notice that one of the fall term classes is "Understanding Islam and Muslims"?

There are 15-20,000 Muslims in Nashville and I believe this course is aimed at educating people about Islam and how to witness to them.
I'm sorry Brother I hope you know how much I enjoy reading your posts. I have always enjoyed discussions with you. Please don't take this personal.

I opened the PDF and the first thing that pops up is that picture. When you open up a Christian newsletter (being a holiness movement, not necessarily ultra or moderate) you would expect maybe a little more modesty? I really know nothing of your fellowship and first impressions are the most lasting.

One may meet someone with sleeves down to their knuckles and neckline to their chin. Although the person may look very godly, separate, or should I just say totally covered, that individual could be as nasty as nails. Still when someone goes to a job interview with a high level company they will dress likewise. This is what I'm trying to say opening up a Christian newsletter I was surprised at the way the people were dressed. That's all.

They're young people and they were taught by their parents, media, their society and culture how they should look.

To those 15-20,000 Muslims who may be indeed religious Islam those young people are just westerners who are infidels. Now I'm not speaking of Islamic believers who are extremist Jihadists. I'm speaking of religious Islam who believes in a modesty of wearing full cover of clothing. The women may not wear berkas, but they were headcoverings and those women and men believe in the modesty of full covering. Now these people are not all waiting to take over the planet with a stick of TNT, and wanting to murder your children. These people love their faith, even though they’re dead wrong, they see modest dress.

Since they have that in mind a girl dressed as those in the opening picture on the church's newsletter represent everything those 15-20,000 Muslims believe to be non-godly. The same would be for the Chabad who are religious modest Jews. I have an American Muslim and a Conservative Rabbi in our Church Bible studies. The holiness of the people in the church they respect.

Please CC1 I love you and enjoy you, please don't take this wrong. This is my perspective and I'm not trying to push my trip on you. I'm just made a comment concerning a Christian Newsletter's opening picture. I will read the rest of the newsletter. Lord bless you my friend.

In Jesus name

Brother Benincasa

www.OnTimeJournal.com
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

EB,

Absolutely no offense taken. When I post something like this mag in a basicly conservative old time Pentecostal forum I know that the different sensibilities involved will be apparent.

If you don't like that pic you certainly would not like CC on a Sunday. We have folks from all sorts of backgrounds and lifestyles attending church.

For most of them a woman's shoulders or even back exposed is not a matter of morality. This kind of goes back to the "hyper sensitivity" I think many OP's develop from being in such a closed culture with such a stringent dress code.

In other words seeing a pic of women or seeing them in person dressed that way doesn't give me pause. I don't even think about it where to someone with an extremely conservative dress code it would leap out at them as a violation of that dress code and what they consider modest.

Have I seen women at CC cross the line where I am comfortable? Every great once in a while but I don't have any idea if they are a visitor, etc so I am not going to judge them.

My wife wears sleeveless dresses to church in the warmer months and we don't think anything about it. I have never been much of a bicep and shoulder man anyway!!!

As far as the dress offending Muslims we may be trying to witness to I would suggest that nothing short of the women wearing burkha's would please many of them.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
EB,

Absolutely no offense taken. When I post something like this mag in a basicly conservative old time Pentecostal forum I know that the different sensibilities involved will be apparent.

If you don't like that pic you certainly would not like CC on a Sunday. We have folks from all sorts of backgrounds and lifestyles attending church.

For most of them a woman's shoulders or even back exposed is not a matter of morality. This kind of goes back to the "hyper sensitivity" I think many OP's develop from being in such a closed culture with such a stringent dress code.

In other words seeing a pic of women or seeing them in person dressed that way doesn't give me pause. I don't even think about it where to someone with an extremely conservative dress code it would leap out at them as a violation of that dress code and what they consider modest.

Have I seen women at CC cross the line where I am comfortable? Every great once in a while but I don't have any idea if they are a visitor, etc so I am not going to judge them.

My wife wears sleeveless dresses to church in the warmer months and we don't think anything about it. I have never been much of a bicep and shoulder man anyway!!!

As far as the dress offending Muslims we may be trying to witness to I would suggest that nothing short of the women wearing burkha's would please many of them.
I totally appreciate that you are not taking my observation personally.
I am far from thinking that in services and in Bible study that people who visit or those who are new converts must dress like the older converts in the church family. Jesus never forced anyone to follow anything. The Rabbinical and Socratic method of teaching is built from the student asking questions of the teacher, and the teacher persuading the students to inquire and seek knowledge. I work towards that within any church family. What Paul shows the Corinthian church, was that Paul planted, Apollos watered but God gave the increase. So God is the increasing power, not man.

I do enjoy our interaction with each other and I was just giving my observation of the newsletter. I didn't want you to think that I was making this personal against you. I was just reading Elder Talmadge L. French's book "Our God is One" on page 115 has a little information on your church family and fellowship. Does Christ Church have Trinitarians and One God people worshipping together?

In Jesus name

Brother Benincasa

www.OnTimeJournal.com
Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

CC1, I believe the two town meetings scheduled are to get members opinions about Dan Scott taking over as senoir pastor.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Brother Strange

Quote:
EB,

Are there any old timers left in CC? I mean are there any left there that still wear the uniform and adhere to the old time Holiness standards?

I notice that there are still quite a few in KP in Austin, including Wanda, so it appears.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Strange View Post
Are there any old timers left in CC? I mean are there any left there that still wear the uniform and adhere to the old time Holiness standards?

I notice that there are still quite a few in KP in Austin, including Wanda, so it appears.
We do have a few older ladies that still wear the beehive hairdo! These are folks that have been at Christ church for 30+ years.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I'm sorry Brother I hope you know how much I enjoy reading your posts. I have always enjoyed discussions with you. Please don't take this personal.

I opened the PDF and the first thing that pops up is that picture. When you open up a Christian newsletter (being a holiness movement, not necessarily ultra or moderate) you would expect maybe a little more modesty? I really know nothing of your fellowship and first impressions are the most lasting.

One may meet someone with sleeves down to their knuckles and neckline to their chin. Although the person may look very godly, separate, or should I just say totally covered, that individual could be as nasty as nails. Still when someone goes to a job interview with a high level company they will dress likewise. This is what I'm trying to say opening up a Christian newsletter I was surprised at the way the people were dressed. That's all.

They're young people and they were taught by their parents, media, their society and culture how they should look.

To those 15-20,000 Muslims who may be indeed religious Islam those young people are just westerners who are infidels. Now I'm not speaking of Islamic believers who are extremist Jihadists. I'm speaking of religious Islam who believes in a modesty of wearing full cover of clothing. The women may not wear berkas, but they were headcoverings and those women and men believe in the modesty of full covering. Now these people are not all waiting to take over the planet with a stick of TNT, and wanting to murder your children. These people love their faith, even though they’re dead wrong, they see modest dress.

Since they have that in mind a girl dressed as those in the opening picture on the church's newsletter represent everything those 15-20,000 Muslims believe to be non-godly. The same would be for the Chabad who are religious modest Jews. I have an American Muslim and a Conservative Rabbi in our Church Bible studies. The holiness of the people in the church they respect.

Please CC1 I love you and enjoy you, please don't take this wrong. This is my perspective and I'm not trying to push my trip on you. I'm just made a comment concerning a Christian Newsletter's opening picture. I will read the rest of the newsletter. Lord bless you my friend.

In Jesus name

Brother Benincasa

www.OnTimeJournal.com
BB, your out look is correct, if we are talking about a a job interview. You are comparing dressing for an interview with fellowshipping at a persons home, at least that is what looks like is going on. I know CC did not take offense and neither do I, but it is funny how the one with the conservative mindset sees the dress code as oppose to the fun and fellowship.

I admit I took a second look when I saw the pictures. I have not been out of the UC part too long, but I noticed the fun and fellowship. There is no need to point out someones dress code, IMO. I believe that the end time will see a great revival. Infact, the people that will take part in the revival will not look or dress as the old church has. Brother, I have viewed several of your posts and it is clear you are way on the conservative side. That is fine with me. I have no problems with others convictions. Though I am a little surprised that the first thing mentioned was about the clothing in the photo. You said,"first impressions are the most lasting." You are correct. Would you want everyone to think of you as they do in their first impression? I know I would not.