Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Music Room
Facebook

Notices

The Music Room Share your favorite music, or request song lyrics here.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Beautiful are the feet......

Bach for Evangelism????

Quote:
Yuko Maruyama, a Japanese organist working in Minneapolis, was once a devout Buddhist. Now, thanks to the music of J. S. Bach, she is a Christian. "Bach introduced me to God, Jesus, and Christianity," she told Metro Lutheran, a Twin Cities monthly. "When I play a fugue, I can feel Bach talking to God." Masashi Masuda, a Jesuit priest, came to faith in almost the same way: "Listening to Bach's Goldberg Variations first aroused my interest in Christianity." Today Masuda teaches theology at Tokyo's Sophia University.

But why would the most abstract works of an 18th-century German composer guide Asian people to Christ? Charles Ford, a mathematics professor in St. Louis, suggests that this is because Bach's music reflects the perfect beauty of created order to which the Japanese mind is receptive. "Bach has had the same effect on me, a Western scientist," explained Ford. Henry Gerike, organist and choirmaster at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, agrees: "The fugue is the best way God has given us to enjoy his creation. … But of course Bach's most significant message to us is the Gospel." Gerike echoes Swedish archbishop Nathan Söderblom (1866–1931), who famously called Bach's cantatas "the fifth Gospel."

Rev. Robert Bergt, musical director of Concordia's Bach at the Sem concert series, has first-hand experience with the missionary lure of Bach's cantatas in Tokyo. He used to be the chief conductor of Musashino Music Academy's three orchestras. Bach's compositions brought his musicians, audiences, and students into contact with the Word of God, he said. "Some of these people would then in private declare themselves as 'closet Christians,'" Bergt related in an interview. "This happened to me at least 15 times. And one of them I eventually baptized myself." While only one percent of Japan's population of 128 million is officially Christian, Bergt estimated that the real figure could be three times as high if one includes secret believers.

After two failed attempts to popularize Bach's music in Japan since the late 19th century, a veritable Bach boom has been sweeping that country for the last 16 years. Its driving force is organist Masaaki Suzuki, founder and conductor of the Bach Collegium Japan that has spawned hundreds of similar societies throughout the country.

During Holy Week, Suzuki's performances of the St. Matthew Passion are always sold out, although tickets cost more than $600. After each concert, members of the audience crowd Suzuki on the podium asking him about the Christian concept of hope and about death, a topic normally taboo in polite Japanese society. "I am spreading Bach's message, which is a biblical one," Suzuki told me.

But why do Bach's melodies and harmonies, so alien to the Asian ear, appeal to the Japanese? Musicologists attribute this to Francis Xavier and other Jesuit missionaries, who introduced Gregorian chant into Japan and built organs from bamboo pipes 400 years ago. Though Christianity was soon squashed, elements of its music infiltrated traditional folk song.

Four centuries later, this curious fact is now enabling tens of thousands of Japanese to come to Christ via Bach. The surprising success of this music in evangelizing one of the most secular nations on earth has led Lutheran theologian Yoshikazu Tokuzen to call Bach a "vehicle of the Holy Spirit."

© 2007 Christianity Today International.
Have Apostolics been wrong for using country gospel or black gospel music? We might have missed the boat!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Re: Bach for Evangelism????

To me, it does not matter how a person gets introduced to Jesus....just as long as they are.

And as far as classical music is concerned, different strokes I guess.

But David Meece was a classical pianist turned contemporary christian musician in the 80's and some of his classical piano openings to songs such as "you can go" or "This time" were awesome with the contemporary music coming in later. It really blended well.

I think there is room for all kinds of music in Gods house as long as it lifts him up.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Forever Loved Admin

I dislike country music STRONGLY!
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
I dislike country music STRONGLY!
LOL! Well I guess you would not fit in many small churches in the south. They play both kinds of music...country...AND WESTERN!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by webe123 View Post
LOL! Well I guess you would not fit in many small churches in the south. They play both kinds of music...country...AND WESTERN!
Yeah, go figure I live in Texas.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 PM
God's Son

I'm not a mainstream country fan, but I can't get enough of John Prine, Steve Earle, Hank III, Julie and Buddy Miller, country with attitude.

Black gospel bores me to tears. Most Black gospel is showmanship. Most of the lyrics are as predictable as southern gospel lyrics. I love a well crafted song.

In my brief tenure as music director, we had tremendous success with an 80's top 40 sound. Synth rock appeared to be working in our area. It was only a bonus that it hacked off the holier than thou crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
Have Apostolics been wrong for using country gospel or black gospel music? We might have missed the boat!

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Holy Unto The Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1a View Post
It was only a bonus that it hacked off the holier than thou crowd.
Tee hee hee.

That is just funny rat dare, I don't care who you are!