Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Re: Dottie Rambo's Funeral

Buck still has family that are Pentecostal they lean toward being liberal I haven't seen them since my Pastor's funeral 3 years ago.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoRick View Post
I just got back to San Diego from spending a week with the Rambo's. Yes Buck is alive and well, re-maired to Mae Rambo and living in Henderson Tn. The funniest part of the funeral was the Elvis Impersonator that showed up 30 minutes late, walked to the front of the church, down the center aisle and sat next to Lanny Gardner's mother, they became friends by the end of the service.
How is Jolene (Sis. Gardner) doing? I heard some things a while back that lead me to believe she is quite confused these days.

Sister Gardner went to school with one of my aunts and won her to Lord.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
As someone else mentioned the casket was closed. I arrived literally one minutes before 1 pm and rushed into one of the few remaining seats in the balcony so I didn't get to really scope out who all was there.

There was not an overwhelming representation of "Skirt People" but there was an elderly woman in bundage sitting two rows in front of me and I saw at least one other elderly old time Pentecostal couple and three or four more younger ones that were possibly UPC or the like.

I did wonder if the Bectons were there. I wouldn't really expect any of the younger pastors or saints in the area but for those with a UPC / Oneness background who are 45 years or older Dottie Rambo was a huge figure in Gospel Music in our younger years.

I had heard that Karen Harding was supposed to go, but am unsure if she actually did.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Has God the Father or the Holy Ghost called 1Corinthians yet to tell whether Dottie arrived?

(this one's for you, CC1! )
Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
methree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyde View Post
I had heard that Karen Harding was supposed to go, but am unsure if she actually did.
Yes, she was in the Homecoming Choir.

Also, Mark Lowry and Kim and Valerie of LordSong sang "I Call Him Lord".
Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Someone shared this email with me. It was written by someone who was a close friend of the Rambos. She sang with them many years ago. I thought you might be interested in hearing her take on the funeral.

Well, it was an interesting trip to say the least. I really appreciated my kids being there to support me. I think I emailed the letter from Rick to you. If not, let me know. Yes, Buck and Mae were there, and yes I got to visit with Reba and Dony. I was shocked at all the people who lined up to see and talk to me...it was like a family reunion. I just had no idea that so many folks remembered me and wanted to visit with me. It was good to see Dottie and Buck's families there. Bro. Hardwick prayed a beautiful prayer at the funeral ... can't remember it exactly, but I do remember him praying for a "spirit of conciliation" and mentioned Buck & Reba's families as well as the others still in the hospital. I saw Larry Ferguson's wife, but did not know who she was until the funeral, so I felt really bad that I didn't even ask who she was ... but, so many people!!!!! Christ Church seats at least 3,000 and those seats were completely full 30 minutes before the funeral was scheduled to start! We were seated in the family area, just two rows behind Barbara Mandrell and Dino & Cheryl. I was again surprised at the people coming over to greet me and then scramble back to their seats. I was still hugging folks as the first part of the service began ... I am humbled and thrilled to see the love coming from people I had not seen in over 40 years!!

After one hour of continuous playing of Dottie's songs by Larry Dalton on the piano ... absolutely beautiful beyond words! Then the Service began. First, they played a video featuring Landy & Joy Gardner and Nicole Binion singing Holy Spirit Thou Art Welcome. Next Dony extended his appreciation for all the family to the audience. Then Charles Green prayed a short prayer. Next, Destiny Rambo McGuire & Dionne Dismuke (Granddaughters) sang "I Will Lift You There" and the crowd stood and applauded for quite some time. It was sooo beautiful!

Next a Bishop Jim Swilley gave the Obituary and then Dino played "Behold the Lamb" and then Barbara Mandrell did the "Setting the Stage" (that's what was on the program). She spoke for just a couple of minutes. Then The Choir Of The Artists was directed by Bill Gaither. They had been in concert the night before but still the Homecoming folks filled the choir loft completely. Then the following songs were sung by different ones and they just went out of one song into another: Sheltered In The Arms of God, Remind Me, If That Isn't Love, He Looked Beyond My Faults, I Go To The Rock, Mamma's Teaching Angels How to Sing.

Then Pastor L. H. Hardwick, Jr., gave a salute to Dottie and her songs. Next there was a video tribute by Israel Anthem McGuire, Grandson. Gaither group then sang "We've Weathered Storms Before. A Michael Langston briefly spoke on "A Special Word About Mothers."

Larry son, Christian Ferguson, sang with the sound track and Dottie's voice (Stand By The River).. He was sooo cute, constantly rocking back and forth with his hips. It was hilarious and everyone seemed to like it. Next Bishop Carlton Pearson gave a brief message. Next, the Homecoming Choir sang ... I Will Glory In The Cross, I've Never Been This Homesick Before, I Call Him Lord, Lamb of Glory, Too Much to Gain to Lose. Gloria Gaither then read a thing she had written entitled "There Has To Be A Song."

The choir then sang The Holy Hills of Heaven. Bishop David Huskins gave "The Final Word" after which the choir and audience sang We Shall Behold Him. It was more like a church service and concert combined ... words cannot describe the Spirit of Worship that was in that place.

Dottie was buried (entombed) at the Mausoleum located just behind the funeral home. We went over there on Tuesday morning because I just needed one more time to say goodbye. Little Jimmie Dickens will be on one side of her, Lily Tomlin will be on the other side along with her parents who have already passed away.

There was a lot of speculation about Dottie's will, but I did not know who she left what to. I just know that I lost a really good friend. I told Buck that I would always love him and Dottie and Reba ... they will always have a special place in my heart.

OK, I'm tired again. So, I need to go lie down. The trip really wore me out ... getting too old...
Old 05-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
Someone shared this email with me. It was written by someone who was a close friend of the Rambos. She sang with them many years ago. I thought you might be interested in hearing her take on the funeral.

Well, it was an interesting trip to say the least. I really appreciated my kids being there to support me. I think I emailed the letter from Rick to you. If not, let me know. Yes, Buck and Mae were there, and yes I got to visit with Reba and Dony. I was shocked at all the people who lined up to see and talk to me...it was like a family reunion. I just had no idea that so many folks remembered me and wanted to visit with me. It was good to see Dottie and Buck's families there. Bro. Hardwick prayed a beautiful prayer at the funeral ... can't remember it exactly, but I do remember him praying for a "spirit of conciliation" and mentioned Buck & Reba's families as well as the others still in the hospital. I saw Larry Ferguson's wife, but did not know who she was until the funeral, so I felt really bad that I didn't even ask who she was ... but, so many people!!!!! Christ Church seats at least 3,000 and those seats were completely full 30 minutes before the funeral was scheduled to start! We were seated in the family area, just two rows behind Barbara Mandrell and Dino & Cheryl. I was again surprised at the people coming over to greet me and then scramble back to their seats. I was still hugging folks as the first part of the service began ... I am humbled and thrilled to see the love coming from people I had not seen in over 40 years!!

After one hour of continuous playing of Dottie's songs by Larry Dalton on the piano ... absolutely beautiful beyond words! Then the Service began. First, they played a video featuring Landy & Joy Gardner and Nicole Binion singing Holy Spirit Thou Art Welcome. Next Dony extended his appreciation for all the family to the audience. Then Charles Green prayed a short prayer. Next, Destiny Rambo McGuire & Dionne Dismuke (Granddaughters) sang "I Will Lift You There" and the crowd stood and applauded for quite some time. It was sooo beautiful!

Next a Bishop Jim Swilley gave the Obituary and then Dino played "Behold the Lamb" and then Barbara Mandrell did the "Setting the Stage" (that's what was on the program). She spoke for just a couple of minutes. Then The Choir Of The Artists was directed by Bill Gaither. They had been in concert the night before but still the Homecoming folks filled the choir loft completely. Then the following songs were sung by different ones and they just went out of one song into another: Sheltered In The Arms of God, Remind Me, If That Isn't Love, He Looked Beyond My Faults, I Go To The Rock, Mamma's Teaching Angels How to Sing.

Then Pastor L. H. Hardwick, Jr., gave a salute to Dottie and her songs. Next there was a video tribute by Israel Anthem McGuire, Grandson. Gaither group then sang "We've Weathered Storms Before. A Michael Langston briefly spoke on "A Special Word About Mothers."

Larry son, Christian Ferguson, sang with the sound track and Dottie's voice (Stand By The River).. He was sooo cute, constantly rocking back and forth with his hips. It was hilarious and everyone seemed to like it. Next Bishop Carlton Pearson gave a brief message. Next, the Homecoming Choir sang ... I Will Glory In The Cross, I've Never Been This Homesick Before, I Call Him Lord, Lamb of Glory, Too Much to Gain to Lose. Gloria Gaither then read a thing she had written entitled "There Has To Be A Song."

The choir then sang The Holy Hills of Heaven. Bishop David Huskins gave "The Final Word" after which the choir and audience sang We Shall Behold Him. It was more like a church service and concert combined ... words cannot describe the Spirit of Worship that was in that place.

Dottie was buried (entombed) at the Mausoleum located just behind the funeral home. We went over there on Tuesday morning because I just needed one more time to say goodbye. Little Jimmie Dickens will be on one side of her, Lily Tomlin will be on the other side along with her parents who have already passed away.

There was a lot of speculation about Dottie's will, but I did not know who she left what to. I just know that I lost a really good friend. I told Buck that I would always love him and Dottie and Reba ... they will always have a special place in my heart.

OK, I'm tired again. So, I need to go lie down. The trip really wore me out ... getting too old...
BB, Thanks for sharing this account of the funeral.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
BB, Thanks for sharing this account of the funeral.
I agree.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:05 PM
GO CUBBIES!

this may have been posted... it is pictures from the funeral.

http://www.gospelmusicupdate.com/gal...ash/index.html
Old 05-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Sister Alvear

thanks.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear