Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Re: Hard Hitting Praise Tonight Misty Edwards

Michael, celebrating Christmas and Easter won't send a person to hell. Contemplative, centering prayer and Lectio Divina will. I don't know of anyone who really believes Jesus was born on 12/25. We simply celebrate His birth event.

You can't even compare the two.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
KBTW

I suspect that you have found something in the music at IHOP that you can relate to from coming to the Lord in the Jesus movement generation. However, I would think that you would be very careful to not get entangled with the contemplative prayer group of people. It would shock me after the stand you have taken on so many other vital issues, for you to think that contemplative prayer is okay.
You have rightly judged why I was drawn to IHOP. I was searching for a remnant of that feeling of the Jesus Movement when I saw a video by Misty. It was so wonderful!

As to getting entangled with IHOP. Foundation doctrine is very important to me. I have never been a member of a Trinity Church since 1980. I will try to elaborate on this my next post.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Michael, celebrating Christmas and Easter won't send a person to hell. Contemplative, centering prayer and Lectio Divina will. I don't know of anyone who really believes Jesus was born on 12/25. We simply celebrate His birth event.

You can't even compare the two.
See what I mean? People can find fault quickly with some other group. They can easily be blind about the heresies in their own.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:03 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
See what I mean? People can find fault quickly with some other group. They can easily be blind about the heresies in their own.
Yes. It is possible even you have some false doctrine in your life. It is possible I do too.

We must always live and walk in the Spirit, and ask the Lord to show us the best way we can walk in the truth we have. If we keep a sincere, humble spirit, and keep from getting an elitist attitude that "we have it all figured out", then we can pray that the Lord will find us acceptable in His sight. We must never think we have got some kind of superior elitist insight into the Lord. He knows how to knocks us off our pedestal if we do. And I speak to myself as well as to anyone reading this.

I don't claim to know all things, but I want to walk in all the truth I can.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Don't ask.

lol
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM

With that being said, I would be very careful to be a part of anyone in the contemplative prayer movement.

I had a friend give me a book written by someone (whose name I forget now), but the book was called Contemplative Prayer. It sounded good. I got a prayer journal, and began to follow the steps she outlined to more productive prayer. Learning more about prayer is always good isn't it?

Well, I struggled with the first chapter or two of the book, and couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong. I just felt so icky reading her book. She asked the reader to take one passage of scripture and sit and imagine things, imagine people in the room with you, and to feel the powers around you as you imagined these things.

I was at our local Christian thrift store, and found the book by Brian Flynn. After reading it, I got up and threw that book on contemplative prayer away. You see, the Spirit of the Lord within me recognized the evil in it, while at first, it seemed quite sincere, and simple. I couldn't get past the first chapter or two, before I had set the book aside, because I believe the Spirit of the Lord within me was rising up against the demonic force that doctrine is entangled with.

Contemplative prayer is simply New Age doctrine tied up in a pretty pleasing package, and it is very dangerous.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Don't ask.

rofl
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
rofl
Glad to provide such great entertainment for you!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
I really mean you no harm. Its just that when you compare IHOP to the Salvation Army it lets me know that you don't know anything about IHOP.
I do know about IHOP. I even started getting into it at one time, and know a lot of people who still are. I was greatly turned off at one point though.

The comment that I made about the Salvation Army was aimed at your mentioning of IHOP's outreach. I know people who are a part of the SA, one of them, who is a good friend, is a Major in the organization.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I had the experience of accepting Christ as my Savior and Lord in 1974. A burned out hippie captured by the love of Gods word and the judgment he was working against me which opened my eyes. I was attending no Church.

As I sought God in prayer 6 weeks later I had an experience with tongues and prophecy that came to pass the same hour. Since I had never been in a Pentecostal Church neither had any Christian friends or was attending Church period I did not even know the significance at the time.

Not long afterward I discovered the Jesus Movement! At the time I thought this was the ultimate. We had fellowship in the home. Deep and lasting relationships some till this day. We would pray and then hit the streets! We preached Christ to thousands. Prayed for the sick, baptized in water and prayed with people to receive the Holy Ghost.

It was an exciting life as even on the streets at times prophetic words would come forth to the lost convicting them of Christ. It was living out the life of discipleship!

Fastforward a few years. I saw the truth of baptism in Jesus name and Oneness. With anticipation I checked out some Churches. It seemed quite stuffy and "religious". Very little concept about reaching out to the lost EXCEPT to try to get then in Church.

Then when they came they would be ran off as the Preachers railed about beards and jewelry.

Most of them taught pre trib delusion as true doctrine. They rejected the sermon on the mount to a great degree one Pastor telling the story about how he and his brother got in a fight with some guys leaving them in a "pool of blood".

All the while almost no gifts of the spirit like I was used to seeing but a lot of yelling, hollering and running the aisles! When people came in they were quickly brought into the suit and tie culture. Christmas and Easter were celebrated as if they were sacred rather than pagan.

I guess our rejection of each other was mutual. They didn't want me and tho I received Oneness and still consider it the most precious truth I know I did not want their brand of "Apostolic".

I did find a few house groups of Apostolics to fellowship over the years thankfully.

Bottom line. I had the same Holy Ghost before I was Oneness as after. I know there are probably more Spirit baptized people outside the Oneness groups than inside them.

I am moved for them. They need more truth. I am not well received among them any more than among Oneness because I preach it to them. As far as Biblical Holiness I have found more takers for it among "Charismatics".

Once past Oneness and Acts 2:38 I have little in common with most Apostolic groups. I see as much wrong among Apostolic Platform type groups as among Charismatics.

When I was having meetings in my home the Charismatics said we were putting people in bondage. The Apostolics said we were playing Church in our basement.

So I look to Jesus. He has always been my passion. I am always glad when I see young people worshipping him! I am very glad if thousands of them are receiving the Spirit at IHOP or ANYWHERE!

Yes I realize the danger of getting hooked into cults. Frankly most Churches nowadays are cults. If I get to meet people that are in such groups I will do all I can to teach them a more perfect way.

When it all comes down we are called to perfection. No one can have assurance of salvation unless they walk in the whole counsel of God. That's why I may seem hard against Apostolic Churches because I have from the beginning expected more from them.

Do I love them? Sure. Do I love the Charismatics? Sure. They both have the same Holy Spirit.......at least those who really have it. Will I do all I can to help anyone who is sincerely trying to serve God? Sure.

There are Charismatic Churches that have more all around truth than Apostolics. Do they need to believe Jesus is the Father? Sure. Does anyone have assurance they will enter the kingdom if they don't? No.

Does anyone have assurance of the kingdom if they do not DO the will of God? No.

I am glad when I find people zealous for Christ. Wanting to forsake all and follow him. I will encourage such people whoever they may be.