Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Aquila's Avatar
Aquila Aquila is offline
Brother In Christ


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 30,237
The Divorcee:

I was reading about the qualifications of bishops and deacons. As I reflected on this, an interesting question came to mind.

Assuming the requirement of being the "husband of one wife" is to be interpreted as meaning that a man cannot be divorced and remarried...

What rolls, offices, or ministries might the remarried divorcee who wishes to serve become involved in?
__________________
"Some people think I say inappropriate things. I prefer to think of it as, radical honesty." ~ Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Happily "off the chain"


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 17,412
Re: The Divorcee:

I believe all offices in the church are understood as either bishop/overseer/elder, or deacon/minister/servant. The word deacon means minister or servant. Those who are not elders or ministers (bishops or deacons) are to simply function in whatever capacity Christ has gifted them with. But they are not "deacons" or elders. Everyone has a role, function, or capacity. But elders and deacons are set forth as examples, among other things, and have a certain amount of representational authority. Hence they must be above reproach.
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Aquila's Avatar
Aquila Aquila is offline
Brother In Christ


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 30,237
Re: The Divorcee:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I believe all offices in the church are understood as either bishop/overseer/elder, or deacon/minister/servant. The word deacon means minister or servant. Those who are not elders or ministers (bishops or deacons) are to simply function in whatever capacity Christ has gifted them with. But they are not "deacons" or elders. Everyone has a role, function, or capacity. But elders and deacons are set forth as examples, among other things, and have a certain amount of representational authority. Hence they must be above reproach.


What about...?

Apostle
Pastor
Teacher
Prophet
Evangelist

I'm thinking a divorcee shouldn't serve as an apostle or pastor.

Can a divorcee function as a teacher, prophet, or evangelist?
__________________
"Some people think I say inappropriate things. I prefer to think of it as, radical honesty." ~ Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Tithesmeister Tithesmeister is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 888
Re: The Divorcee:

This is an interesting subject. I believe it should be interpreted as a man who is husband to one wife. As in he did not have more than one. I realize it is not often interpreted that way, but if taken literally, that is what it means.

Many people say that it means never married and divorced, then remarried.

I have also heard it applied to a widower. This interpretation says that if the wife of the deacon dies he is disqualified from being a deacon. Presumably he is no longer husband to one wife.

When you take into account that it was not unusual in biblical times for men to have multiple wives simultaneously, I believe that is what it refers to.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Aquila's Avatar
Aquila Aquila is offline
Brother In Christ


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 30,237
Re: The Divorcee:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
This is an interesting subject. I believe it should be interpreted as a man who is husband to one wife. As in he did not have more than one. I realize it is not often interpreted that way, but if taken literally, that is what it means.

Many people say that it means never married and divorced, then remarried.

I have also heard it applied to a widower. This interpretation says that if the wife of the deacon dies he is disqualified from being a deacon. Presumably he is no longer husband to one wife.

When you take into account that it was not unusual in biblical times for men to have multiple wives simultaneously, I believe that is what it refers to.
It's my understanding that in Rome, polygamy was prohibited about 100 years before Christ. Also, rabbinical sources show that it was denounced by Jewish authorities at this time also.

Christ's emphasis on remarriage after divorce being adultery (some give the exception is there was adultery) would point to remarriage after a divorce.

In the Greek it reads, "man of one woman". Widowers would be such, seeing the first spouse would be deceased. This would therefore disqualify men with concubines, or mistresses, and remarried divorcees.

The focus is being above reproach, to protect the reputation of the church and the honor of Christ's name.
__________________
"Some people think I say inappropriate things. I prefer to think of it as, radical honesty." ~ Unknown

Last edited by Aquila; 03-04-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 AM
Scott Pitta's Avatar
Scott Pitta Scott Pitta is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wisconsin Dells
Posts: 2,002
Re: The Divorcee:

Is the prohibition about divorce ? Polygamy ? Does it mean pastors are required to be married ? Which one is it ? Or is he referring to something else ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2018, 03:42 AM
Amanah's Avatar
Amanah Amanah is offline
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sebastian, FL
Posts: 6,535
Re: The Divorcee:

If the Pastor is the injured party, his wife was unfaithful and she leaves/divorces him, is he unqualified from ministry?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2018, 04:14 AM
Truthseeker's Avatar
Truthseeker Truthseeker is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,531
Re: The Divorcee:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
If the Pastor is the injured party, his wife was unfaithful and she leaves/divorces him, is he unqualified from ministry?
No
__________________
Today pull up the little weeds,
The sinful thoughts subdue,
Or they will take the reins themselves
And someday master you. --Anon.


The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2018, 06:29 AM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,387
Re: The Divorcee:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
If the Pastor is the injured party, his wife was unfaithful and she leaves/divorces him, is he unqualified from ministry?
No, the instruction of husband of one wife meant the guy had to of been married at one point in time. Because ruling over a household was a criteria for the preacher to rule over the church assembly.
__________________
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 AM
houston's Avatar
houston houston is offline
“And he gave some...” Eph 4:11


 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SOUTH ZION
Posts: 10,690
Re: The Divorcee:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
No, the instruction of husband of one wife meant the guy had to of been married at one point in time. Because ruling over a household was a criteria for the preacher to rule over the church assembly.
That’s terrible. Who wants to be married?
__________________


“You are not original; I have run into your kind of folks a lot, and you aren't even the smoothest I have encountered.” Coonskinner

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Jito463
- by CC1
- by aegsm76
- by n david

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.