Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

Hello from a newbie

"Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ"

A bit about me for those who care to know: I came to the apostolic faith at the age of 23, having married a girl who was raised UPC. Within months of attending church with her, I received the Holy Ghost, speaking in other tongues, and was baptized in the Name of Jesus. I was a faithful and active in my church for many years, deeply involved in the worship department.

Nowadays, I suppose to some I would fit the label "back-slidden". Although I still believe in the apostolic doctrine, pray, read my Bible, and practice holiness in appearance and deed; I have allowed disappointments, hurts, and my own laziness to keep me from the house of God. My children are pretty much grown and attend church faithfully on their own. But every time I try to get back into my church I find myself disappointed or hurt. I still love the church and the pastor, and I believe I should attend where God planted me. Although the problems I see in my brethren are quite real, I accept full responsibility for not being faithful to church.

Why am I here? Well, I guess I hope that in being here and talking with you all I will find strength to be more faithful to God's house and learn to be more patient with the brethren. I understand that some of you may judge me, that is ok, for no one (but God) knows my faults better than me.

Thanks for reading all of that, I look forward to getting to know you all. God bless.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 AM
America, bless God.

Re: Hello from a newbie

Welcome to AFF, StonyGround. I appreciate the frankness of your intro. You display a self-knowledge, honesty, and humility that is all too rare in the world today. Give a hearty Bah humbug, to anybody who has the nerve to judge you. It's simply not our job!

There is plenty of stuff going on here, but I invite you to message me if there's anything you'd care to discuss one on one.

Enjoy the forum.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stony ground View Post
"Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ"

A bit about me for those who care to know: I came to the apostolic faith at the age of 23, having married a girl who was raised UPC. Within months of attending church with her, I received the Holy Ghost, speaking in other tongues, and was baptized in the Name of Jesus. I was a faithful and active in my church for many years, deeply involved in the worship department.

Nowadays, I suppose to some I would fit the label "back-slidden". Although I still believe in the apostolic doctrine, pray, read my Bible, and practice holiness in appearance and deed; I have allowed disappointments, hurts, and my own laziness to keep me from the house of God. My children are pretty much grown and attend church faithfully on their own. But every time I try to get back into my church I find myself disappointed or hurt. I still love the church and the pastor, and I believe I should attend where God planted me. Although the problems I see in my brethren are quite real, I accept full responsibility for not being faithful to church.

Why am I here? Well, I guess I hope that in being here and talking with you all I will find strength to be more faithful to God's house and learn to be more patient with the brethren. I understand that some of you may judge me, that is ok, for no one (but God) knows my faults better than me.

Thanks for reading all of that, I look forward to getting to know you all. God bless.
Welcome to the forum,. a lot of good stuff here and also on the contrary other stuff. As far as being hurt and having some past feelings about things. Well if your going to be in pentecostal company get use to that. Just remember you don't belong to the UPC you belong to Jesus, he is the one that died for you but rather is alive for you.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Just as the problems you see in your brethren? Isn't it sad that our human nature points that out so well? Sometimes we all struggle, maybe they are struggling, too. Be faithful to God, he is always faithful. People will let us down, but Jesus always lifts us up!!!!
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Welcome to AFF.

We can't judge you because you are not our servant and we are not your Judge. You are God's servant and God is your Judge. What really counts is not what people think about you but how is your relationship with Jesus?

God's Church is much larger than the little room named UPC. If you don't feel right about going to a UPC church, you might find some other church where you feel comfortable --some place where you can be ministered to and where you can minister to others.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

welcome stonyground, you are not the only backslider on the forum. I believe in God, but am not attending a church right now. Please feel free to share your views and opinions.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Welcome to AFF, Stony Ground,

Falla39
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Welcome Stony. You know, its funny, this is an Apostolic Forum. Not that all of us are practicing Apostolics. Some are, while others have Apostolic roots. And this is a place where we come together to encourage one another. And, well, yeah, at times we gripe and argure. So, I hope you can wade through all that and find some encouargement. I know I have... many times.

Its a Friends forum. We do what friends do. We gripe and argue. But when the chips are down, we do that other thing freinds do. We encourage.

And this is... well, this is a Forum. A place to talk. And I'm glad you've joned us. And, believe it or not, you've already encouraged me... by showing me that I'm not alone in my own struggles.

So, let me do a friend thing and say this.... Don't worry so much about getting back into your church. Make things right with God. Find peace with Him.... try reconciling yourself to Him and not so much with standards and doctrines. All that will come. The Bible says,

Psa 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psa 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring [it] to pass.

When we delight in, and commit to, the Lord, evrything else will fall into place.

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

I thank you all for the warm welcome and the kind words, much appreciated.

Also, thank you to those who gave advice and encouragement, also very much appreciated. I welcome your wisdom and good counsel.

I have always had a visceral revulsion towards hypocrisy, few things make me angrier. Not only is that the reason I find it hard to cut people slack sometimes (particluarly those I think should know better), but it's also been a stumbling block for me. I am not comfortable being involved in something to which I'm not 100% commited, and I think that eventually left me on the periphery of the congregation.

I do not agree 100% with the stances preached by this particular church, but I agree with >90% and will be not be rebelious about the other 10%. But what is preached and what is done are not always the same thing and that is something that makes me crazy.

Ok, enough bellyaching from me. Thank you all again.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Welcome to AFF.