Apostolic Friends Forum  

Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Nursery
Facebook

Notices

The Nursery Where we await new little ones in our AFF Fellowship Family!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 PM
melissa22xo

Re: A Place for mothers with young children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffdmitch View Post
Hi everyone. I have 3 little ones a 2 1/2 year old little, a 1 1/2 year old boy and a 7 week old little girl. I am very blessed withmy little treasures. On response to the question about worrying about your kids backsliding, I pray over my children every day and teach them worship and pray from the day they are born. We have worship time at home and I try to set the example that I believe the Lord would have me set..i'm not perfect but I try my best I don't think there's anything more you can do than just pray , set the right example for you children and teach them to have a relationship with God, then you leave it in God's hands. I do worry about the scary things of this world, in fact i've decided not to send my children to a public school. I will be homeschooling them, it's just too scary now a days.
I just wanted to let you know that when i read your post i felt like such a slacker! I really admire that you pray and worship with your children. I mean i pray with my boys but mostly you know just before bed and when we eat. I usually just pray for them when i'm alone never really with them. But after i read this i felt convicted and today i worshiped and prayed with my boys and it felt great! The whole mood of my day was changed So thank you for posting this! And we are also going to be homeschooling our boys..which i'm excited but a little terrified about.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

I rememember when my kiddos were small ( they are only 15 and 11 now) I would look for teenagers and young adults in the church that I thought were "good kids" and I would ask them, "What do you think your parents did right"?

The answers were astonishing...
But I think they might have worked so far!

"You will be hated for my sake-Just remember that it should be for MY sake and not YOURS-
Do NOT act in such a way as to be offensive, and then blame it on me"

Love, God
Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I am the mother of a beautiful 3 yr. old daughter.
I am however struggling with taking her to Sunday night service!
She can not contain herself at all .. but she is 3.
I brought toys and books but she get bored of that very fast.
I end up having to take her out of the sanctuary and talking to her about the importance of sitting quietly while the pastor is talking. In the end i feel like i just put her and myself though a stressful night and i have only herd a few words all night...
I can never get a babysitter for Sunday night but when i do i enjoy going oh so much.
please any ideas of how to calm a 3 yr. old... lol thanks
Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)
Old 01-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Is there a room you can take her to where you can still hear the sermon?

My daughter will be 3 in March and she cannot sit through a service. She is very active and it's just not going to happen. I honestly think it's developmentally inappropriate to expect them to.

I go to a small church and I generally take my daughter to the nursery for the sermon, where there is a speaker. It's not ideal but otherwise I would probably stay home.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova View Post
I am the mother of a beautiful 3 yr. old daughter.
I am however struggling with taking her to Sunday night service!
She can not contain herself at all .. but she is 3.
I brought toys and books but she get bored of that very fast.
I end up having to take her out of the sanctuary and talking to her about the importance of sitting quietly while the pastor is talking. In the end i feel like i just put her and myself though a stressful night and i have only herd a few words all night...
I can never get a babysitter for Sunday night but when i do i enjoy going oh so much.
please any ideas of how to calm a 3 yr. old... lol thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
Is there a room you can take her to where you can still hear the sermon?

My daughter will be 3 in March and she cannot sit through a service. She is very active and it's just not going to happen. I honestly think it's developmentally inappropriate to expect them to.

I go to a small church and I generally take my daughter to the nursery for the sermon, where there is a speaker. It's not ideal but otherwise I would probably stay home.
Well - I guess I'm a little old-fashioned. But I have two children and both are in ministry today. By the time they were three, there were very few services that they were not able to sit quietly through. I didn't take snacks for them - but I did have "quiet" toys. If they began to be too loud with their 'quiet" toys, we made a trip to the bathroom for a little education applied to their seat of understanding. Upon returning, I didn't (or my husband - whichever took them out) return to our seat if it would be disruptive - we sat in the back. Children will live up or down to what is expected of them.

There will be a few times that it becomes necessary to take them out of the service (extremely lengthy or visitors sitting nearby that they might be a distraction to them keeping their mind on the Word) - but for the most part - they CAN learn to sit quietly in church!

You can begin at home - playing church and having them sit quietly while you teach them a bible lesson (start with 5 - 10 minutes).
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Well - I guess I'm a little old-fashioned. But I have two children and both are in ministry today. By the time they were three, there were very few services that they were not able to sit quietly through. I didn't take snacks for them - but I did have "quiet" toys. If they began to be too loud with their 'quiet" toys, we made a trip to the bathroom for a little education applied to their seat of understanding. Upon returning, I didn't (or my husband - whichever took them out) return to our seat if it would be disruptive - we sat in the back. Children will live up or down to what is expected of them.
Me, too. I've never thought that it hurt them in any way to learn to sit quietly in church service. It was a necessity for ours, because we've always been on the platform playing music, and I really didn't like leaving them in a nursery out of my sight. Our girls were sitting on the front row by the time they were 2-3, and our boy made it by about 4. Most of the time they had a nanny or a grandparent watching them during worship. I can count on one hand the number of times they were kept in the nursery during worship service, and they were ALWAYS in service with us during the preaching. Usually they sat on one of our laps with a book or small toy. When our son was about 3, my husband started sitting him on the other end of the pew where he couldn't see me, and teaching him to sit still. It took him about a year to be completely successful and ready for the front pew(way longer than the girls), but he eventually got the idea.

The easiest way to teach them to sit still is to keep them on the bench with a book or a quiet toy, and if you do have to take them out--DON'T take them to the fun, toy-filled nursery. LOL!!!!!!

I wouldn't spank just for being squirmy--kids are kids.. I'm not much of a spanker, though, so that's probably not terribly relevant! We've managed to teach ours to sit still in church without spanking them--the key is consistency and patience. IMO, kids who haven't spent most of their church services in the nursery tend to make the transition a lot easier.

Quote:
There will be a few times that it becomes necessary to take them out of the service (extremely lengthy or visitors sitting nearby that they might be a distraction to them keeping their mind on the Word) - but for the most part - they CAN learn to sit quietly in church!

You can begin at home - playing church and having them sit quietly while you teach them a bible lesson (start with 5 - 10 minutes).
I think it's important for children to learn to be respectful and listen when a person in authority is speaking. However, if they are really small, a few breaks might be necessary--especially if the preacher is long winded. Worship service is a little different, because they can move around and even make noise without being too noticeable.

Our POV is that worship time IS family time. I strongly object to the idea that church attendance detracts from family time. Worshiping God together and learning about God's Word together are great family activities.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

I like the house church format in regards to handling children.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Banned

The church I used to go to had a nursery for children 1-4. That was nice. Why more churches don't provide this ministry is beyond me. It was such a blessing.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
The church I used to go to had a nursery for children 1-4. That was nice. Why more churches don't provide this ministry is beyond me. It was such a blessing.
Agreed. Why do we try and force small children to sit still when for some of them it is physically impossible? So we can look holy? Beating children until they are too scared to move isn't very Christlike in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

I have 2 children, 9 and 12 yrs and 1 "god child", 1 1/2yrs (I don't like that term I feel disrespectful...).
I was very strict with my 12 yr old...I was a single parent at the time and didn't want anyone to think that my son was going to be a brat. With my 9 yr old I'm not as strict..she still takes paper to church to write..I would like for that to change but not sure how to approach it. Both of my kids have been baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost
The 1 1/2 yr old has been a challenge..lol...considering he doesn't get to go to church all the time. We do try to get him every weekend but there are times when we don't. I take a coloring book and crayons and cars for him. I do take him out for breaks but we come back in the service don't want him getting use to staying out. I also sit in the back when he is with us that way if he does get a little loud its not so disturbing but I do encourage him to be quiet.
Every child is different but I do agree being consistent is the key.