Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
My Family!

Re: Sex Before Marriage: Does God Approve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Great article - - couldn't agree more!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

I know of an interesting situation relating to this topic.

A preacher’s wife left him and soon after he backslid into the world for about two years. While backslidden he met a woman who was also divorced. They both have children from their previous marriages. They had been living together for about three years and he began feeling God telling him to come back to church. They both came to church and she was baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost. It is apparent that he still has a “call of God” on his life. God appears to be doing wonderful things in their lives. The only problem is that they are living together. I’m not sure if they’ve been talking about getting married. Seeing that they are both progressively consecrating their lives to the Lord I wouldn’t be surprised if they were or will be soon.

Here’s what I found strange. The church has accepted both of them with open arms. No real issue is made about them living together. I’ve heard him being encouraged with things like, “God isn’t finished with you brother. You’re anointed.” Of course, he’s not in leadership or anything. But it seems like they are opening up to him becoming leadership at some point. What is interesting is that the church isn’t demanding that they separate. It seems to be accepting the current situation and encouraging greater involvement.

So, here are my questions…
Is this church doing the right thing?

If so why is it the right thing?

How should I receive him? I mean he’s very gifted and I still feel like he’s meant for ministry, I just feel a little uncomfortable around him. Maybe it’s because I’m worried that if I’m too cozy with him people might think badly of me. I’m also not happy about them living together.

If the church isn’t doing the right thing, what should it be doing with them?
(I’m sure there will be varied opinions so all please share)
Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Do I believe that sex before what? is OK? What constitutes a marriage? A preacher? A minister? A piece of paper? It does not matter what I believe nor do I profess to declare what is or is not a "sin" before I examine what was declared in words to be sin and what the prophets did or did not do that was or was not declared to specifically be sin.

You were specifically challenged to go into the book and bring to light the actions of those declared righteous in the Bible and compare the real actions and what happened in their lives related to sex to what you teach.

What defines a marriage in your teaching and what defines a marriage in your bible? What was sexually lawful and unlawful in the bible? Sticking who we recognize as prophets/messengers of God:

Lawful or unlawful? Jacob's wife Rachel?
Lawful or unlawful? Rachel's handmaid? Leah's handmaid?
Lawful or unlawful? Abraham's second wife Katura? Wasn't he already married?
Lawful or unlawful? David's wives Ahinoam, Abigail, Maachah, Haggith, Abital, Eglah, Bathshua, and another identified as Merab? David's only specific identified sin was taking another man's wife
Lawful or unlawful? Solomon's 700 wives? He might have been wise but he wasn't very smart
Lawful or unlawful? Moses' wives Tharbus and Zipporah?

Those declared righteous took lawful mates to themselves and in the act of taking them and forming unions with them they became wives to them. In the Bible sex itself between two lawful individuals commits the couple to one another.

So what was sin? Specifically declared to be a mate of one being sexually involved with a mate of another. Being intimate in any way with the mate of another.

Marriage until around 110 AD was a private matter where a man and women joined together and formed a household. As per the Bible. BUT:

[I]t becomes both men and women who marry, to form their union with the approval of the bishop, that their marriage may be according to God, and not after their own lust Changed all that in 110 AD.

NOTE: It is dangerous to replace what is the rights of approval by God with the approval of a Bishop or any other form of religious leadership

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that if a committed man and woman join together with intention to form a family and union they sin. The act of sex consummates their commitment and binds them to one another. The "marriage ceremony" is not biblical nor does it have biblical basis. So, in summary, sex between two committed individuals who are consummating their commitment is not identified as a sin in the bible.

Neither is drinking wine at the wedding party LOL thats another discussion

Specifically identified as a sin:

Sex with someone other than your spouse is a sin
Sex outside of the intention to form a committed union is a sin

Thanks for asking We should go to tithing next

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorrick1959 View Post
SO MR OR MRS WALKS LOL WHICHEVER. you think that sex before marriage is ok? and oh yes i believe in tithing for sure , so does the bible and god honors it and blesses it i am living proof.

fornication if you remeber the bible speaks of it ,,,if sex bewteen 2 unmarried folks ,, so if it speaks against that , it just could be we shouldnt do that ,, now i aint very smart as you have been so mindful of to show me the err of my ways lol. so maybe i am just looking at it wrong..

Last edited by Walks_in_islam; 09-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

An interesting case. See comments above

Regards,

wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post

A preacherís wife left him and soon after he backslid into the world for about two years. While backslidden he met a woman who was also divorced. They both have children from their previous marriages. They had been living together for about three years and he began feeling God telling him to come back to church. They both came to church and she was baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost. It is apparent that he still has a ďcall of GodĒ on his life. God appears to be doing wonderful things in their lives. The only problem is that they are living together. Iím not sure if theyíve been talking about getting married. Seeing that they are both progressively consecrating their lives to the Lord I wouldnít be surprised if they were or will be soon.

Hereís what I found strange. The church has accepted both of them with open arms. No real issue is made about them living together. Iíve heard him being encouraged with things like, ďGod isnít finished with you brother. Youíre anointed.Ē Of course, heís not in leadership or anything. But it seems like they are opening up to him becoming leadership at some point. What is interesting is that the church isnít demanding that they separate. It seems to be accepting the current situation and encouraging greater involvement.

So, here are my questionsÖ

How should I receive him? I mean heís very gifted and I still feel like heís meant for ministry, I just feel a little uncomfortable around him. Maybe itís because Iím worried that if Iím too cozy with him people might think badly of me. Iím also not happy about them living together.

If the church isnít doing the right thing, what should it be doing with them?
(Iím sure there will be varied opinions so all please share)
Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Great article - - couldn't agree more!
Heathen!!!
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post

A preacherís wife left him and soon after he backslid into the world for about two years. While backslidden he met a woman who was also divorced. They both have children from their previous marriages. They had been living together for about three years and he began feeling God telling him to come back to church. They both came to church and she was baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost. It is apparent that he still has a ďcall of GodĒ on his life. God appears to be doing wonderful things in their lives. The only problem is that they are living together. Iím not sure if theyíve been talking about getting married. Seeing that they are both progressively consecrating their lives to the Lord I wouldnít be surprised if they were or will be soon.

Hereís what I found strange. The church has accepted both of them with open arms. No real issue is made about them living together. Iíve heard him being encouraged with things like, ďGod isnít finished with you brother. Youíre anointed.Ē Of course, heís not in leadership or anything. But it seems like they are opening up to him becoming leadership at some point. What is interesting is that the church isnít demanding that they separate. It seems to be accepting the current situation and encouraging greater involvement.

So, here are my questionsÖ

How should I receive him? I mean heís very gifted and I still feel like heís meant for ministry, I just feel a little uncomfortable around him. Maybe itís because Iím worried that if Iím too cozy with him people might think badly of me. Iím also not happy about them living together.

If the church isnít doing the right thing, what should it be doing with them?
(Iím sure there will be varied opinions so all please share)
They should get it right, if refuse disfellowship.

Fornicaters should be disfellowshipped not encouraged.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
He has some great points in this article.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

I think it can go to extremes in eirther direction. Some are as loose goose carnal with everything goes then some are puritans, that it's not for enjoyment.

Have a heart to keep the married bed pure and I believe we will be led to the right things.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:20 PM
My Family!

Quote:
I think it can go to extremes in eirther direction. Some are as loose goose carnal with everything goes then some are puritans, that it's not for enjoyment.

Have a heart to keep the married bed pure and I believe we will be led to the right things.
Why would you consider someone being "loose goose carnal with everything" if they are married?

Keeping the marriage bed pure has nothing to do with the married couple - - - it means to keep "others" out of the marraige bed.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post

Keeping the marriage bed pure has nothing to do with the married couple - - - it means to keep "others" out of the marraige bed.
How do you come to that conclusion?