Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 AM
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondb3klingon1 View Post
I guess I have to go with the experts. MS Paint rules. Along with MS Word, MS Powerpoint, MS(the disease), MS blah blah yada yada yada, patent this, patent that. Yeah a few of my favorite things. NOT!!!

VI, GIMP, Solaris, C++, and a book by Bjarne himself. AHHHHH like a nice cup of tea it soothes the soul. or is that sole?
There are things that microsoft does well, and things they don't. I use CentOS on three web servers and Fedora on another. Linux is the only way to go for servers. For the desktop, for what I do, there simply isn't a mature enough application suite that can compete with Adobe creative suite and Dreamweaver.

Like I said before, I am a graphics professional, I feed my family quite well using photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver and indesign. Gimp doesn't hold a candle to photoshop, there is no illustrator, indesign or dreamweaver equivalent for linux. As nice as open source is, it takes money to develop robust consumer applications, and linux as a desktop os isn't there yet, and it my never be.

But for a server, it is tops. Windows 2k3 server?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Atkinson View Post
There are things that microsoft does well, and things they don't. I use CentOS on three web servers and Fedora on another. Linux is the only way to go for servers. For the desktop, for what I do, there simply isn't a mature enough application suite that can compete with Adobe creative suite and Dreamweaver.

Like I said before, I am a graphics professional, I feed my family quite well using photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver and indesign. Gimp doesn't hold a candle to photoshop, there is no illustrator, indesign or dreamweaver equivalent for linux. As nice as open source is, it takes money to develop robust consumer applications, and linux as a desktop os isn't there yet, and it my never be.

But for a server, it is tops. Windows 2k3 server?

There was discussion of Adobe opening the book for the code, but it never progressed.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
There was discussion of Adobe opening the book for the code, but it never progressed.
Yeah, I remember. Corel did a linux port of their graphics suite and the office suite containing programs formerly known as word perfect, quatro pro and oh, can't forget paradox, around 1999, and even tried to enter the distro market. never went anywhere.

When it comes to work I am a big fan of the tool that does the job. When it comes to play I like geek toys, vista being one.

I wish I had gotten ultimate instead of home premium, but I can upgrade for a mere 159.00
Old 03-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Ronzo

The notebook comes on Tuesday...

Looking forward to playing with it but couldn't care less about the Vista.

I don't believe I'll be using that aero interface thingy. I have better things to waste RAM on.

I went with a Dell Insprion E1705. Between the security package discount (4 year warranty with complete care - accidental damage coverage - and 4 years of lojack), the web site offer ($343 off), and my employee discount, I saved a considerable chunk of change.

Normally, the employee discount doesn't save me a whole lot, but it all added up.

Definitely made a very attractive price... and thanks to my tax refund, I was able to afford it.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Go Dodgers!

I set up someones PC the other day for him. He just got a new box with Vista...Vista is pretty nice. I like the way the windows can be sent to the desktop and then you can click on the window you want to be on top