Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Administrator

My Mosque

Ok, so not really "my" mosque but one that is being built a mile down the road from where I live and one I will pass every day on my way to work.

In my town right outside Nashville they are building a huge 50,000 sq ft "Islamic Center" that includes classrooms, recreational facilities, and a Mosque.

I am sure their aim is to evangelize MTSU, the second largest University in the state of Tennessee that is just 5 minutes from this center.

While I am very disturbed about this project if there are no ties to radical Islam with the funding, board, and Imam of this center then there is no legal reason to keep it from being built.

This is a test of just how "christian" the christian community will react in our town and so far it is a mixed bag. Thankfully my pastor is showing christian love and character while still being vigilant about any danger to our community.

Yesterday evening as I was driving to a mens cookout at church I noticed a TV news van at the site. Later when I got home I checked the news on the web and found out somebody had vandalized three pieces of heavy equipment at the job site by setting them on fire. I am sure it is some redneck idiot "christians" thinking they are doing the will of God but falling into a trap to discredit christians who actually practice christianity

This Mosque is causing more division in the local christian community as they figure out how to respond to it than anything in the past. Like my pastor I am praying for wisdom in how we respond.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

Re: My Mosque

Why don't you get a group of your neighbors together, make an appointment, and go down there and see for yourselves? What is worse in the imagination - the known or unknown? Pardon me but you are approaching this like you are driving by a haunted house or something. "Lock and load" (LOL not literally please) and drop in one day.

Do you really believe that the schools and community centers are being built to "evangelize?". Our community center in Houston had a clinic, legal aid center (mostly helping immigrants as I recall), a small school, and a mosque. The Muslim community for the most part stayed to themselves (evangelize? It is not like the Muslim community is welcome or anything even my wife had to be careful going out alone as the term "raghead" got tossed at her a few times from truck windows) I recall that there were always people from the area who dropped by to see what was going on including a couple of area ministers and many of the neighbors around the mosque. If any of our neighbors had an issue (examples traffic, noise, etc) they would call and we would catch hell from the Imam about respecting the community.

So go and see. The last thing the Muslim community wanted (at least in our case) was to have problems, offend, or create issues with our neighbors.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walks_in_islam View Post
Why don't you get a group of your neighbors together, make an appointment, and go down there and see for yourselves? What is worse in the imagination - the known or unknown? Pardon me but you are approaching this like you are driving by a haunted house or something. "Lock and load" (LOL not literally please) and drop in one day.

Do you really believe that the schools and community centers are being built to "evangelize?". Our community center in Houston had a clinic, legal aid center (mostly helping immigrants as I recall), a small school, and a mosque. The Muslim community for the most part stayed to themselves (evangelize? It is not like the Muslim community is welcome or anything even my wife had to be careful going out alone as the term "raghead" got tossed at her a few times from truck windows) I recall that there were always people from the area who dropped by to see what was going on including a couple of area ministers and many of the neighbors around the mosque. If any of our neighbors had an issue (examples traffic, noise, etc) they would call and we would catch hell from the Imam about respecting the community.

So go and see. The last thing the Muslim community wanted (at least in our case) was to have problems, offend, or create issues with our neighbors.
The angle that most Muslims are just peace loving folks would carry a lot more weight if the vast majority of them had not remained silent after 9-11. If Islam has been "hijacked" by extreme militants who don't reflect the view of most why wasn't there a worldwide pushback against this extreme "minority"?

It is not like I think most of the Muslim population in my town are about to plant an IED or anything but I think the vast majority of muslims are complicit by their silence. Also many who would not do actual violence themselves support and approve those who do.

Care to respond to my remarks about Muslim communities attempts to have Sharia Law in Great Britain and in America? That is documented fact. Islam wants to conquor, not co exist.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
The angle that most Muslims are just peace loving folks would carry a lot more weight if the vast majority of them had not remained silent after 9-11. If Islam has been "hijacked" by extreme militants who don't reflect the view of most why wasn't there a worldwide pushback against this extreme "minority"?

It is not like I think most of the Muslim population in my town are about to plant an IED or anything but I think the vast majority of muslims are complicit by their silence. Also many who would not do actual violence themselves support and approve those who do.

Care to respond to my remarks about Muslim communities attempts to have Sharia Law in Great Britain and in America? That is documented fact. Islam wants to conquor, not co exist.
Exactly.

I think I saw all I need to know when them moderate peace loving palestinians were celebrating out in the streets throwing candy in the air on 9-11-01.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 08-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
Exactly.

I think I saw all I need to know when them moderate peace loving palestinians were celebrating out in the streets throwing candy in the air on 9-11-01.
The night assembly supervisor I had hired through a temp agency was a muslim from one of the "stans" near Afghanistan and the night of 9-11 freaked the people he was supervising out by telling them it was a great day and he wanted to buy them all soft drinks at break to celebrate.

When I got to work the next morning the day manager came to me and said two of our night shift employees had come to him freaked out by what had happened. These two were long time employees who we trusted implicitly so I called the temp agency and told them not to send that guy back. The temp agency would not believe it when I told them what he had done and insinuated the other employees were lying. Then a couple of hours later they called back and apologized because when they confronted him he readily admitted it was true. Why some idiot like this that hates America wants to be here is beyond me unless he wants to contribute to its destruction.

This is an anecdotal account and not a survey of muslim views but I believe it is typical of many muslims views. They might not do something horrific themselves but applaud those who do.

Titus2woman on AF
F

Last edited by CC1; 08-29-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

how about this for learning more about Islam?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNplate.jpg (54.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Best Hair on AFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walks_in_islam View Post

Very well said, WII. Is anyone else noticing that the most civil one here in all this talk, is the one Muslim involved in all the conversation?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
Very well said, WII. Is anyone else noticing that the most civil one here in all this talk, is the one Muslim involved in all the conversation?
MS, lay off the muslim flavored kool aid.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
Please list anything I have said that is not "civil"? Good grief! Apparently you label any post that you do not agree with as uncivil.

Titus2woman on AF
F

Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Stupid, stupid people.

Really.