Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Re: How do evangelists get paid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
As a boy I remember those poundings and the stories surrounding them. However today I know in conservative circles evangelists are well taken care of.
In liberal circles we just buy them a pair of skinny jeans and a Starbucks gift card! LOL!!!!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 09-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Lol!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Both. I teach tithes goes to the ministry. Thus I tithe to the ministry.
Elder Epley, could you elaborate on why you tithe from your tithes? I have heard this but I can’t really see how it reconciles with scripture.

It may help to know if you consider yourself the equivalent of a priest, or a Levite. I understand that the Levites tithed to the priests but the priests in the OT didn’t tithe to anybody, did they?

So, if you consider yourself typified by the OT Priest, what would be the scriptural basis for tithing to the ministry?

And we do know that the singers in the OT received tithes from the Levitical tithe, so do you also tithe to your choir members?

I’d really appreciate some information about this.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Elder Epley, could you elaborate on why you tithe from your tithes? I have heard this but I can’t really see how it reconciles with scripture.

It may help to know if you consider yourself the equivalent of a priest, or a Levite. I understand that the Levites tithed to the priests but the priests in the OT didn’t tithe to anybody, did they?

So, if you consider yourself typified by the OT Priest, what would be the scriptural basis for tithing to the ministry?

And we do know that the singers in the OT received tithes from the Levitical tithe, so do you also tithe to your choir members?

Rudy would love to start a church with you.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

The title of the tithe was offered as a heave offering to the Lord. So it makes sense to me. 1Cor.9 uses the tithing chamber as an example of ministerial support. Musicians & singers who get offerings are from the tithe yes.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The title of the tithe was offered as a heave offering to the Lord.
The tithe of the tithe refers to the Levites' heave offering that was heaved unto the Lord, and was then given to the priests. There is to my knowledge no mention of the priests giving a heave offering once they received the tithe of the tithe.Here is the passage that you seem to be referring to . . .

Numbers 18 KJV
[25] And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
[26] Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.
[27] And this your heave offering shall be reckoned unto you, as though it were the corn of the threshingfloor, and as the fulness of the winepress.
[28] Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD's heave offering to Aaron the priest.
[29] Out of all your gifts ye shall offer every heave offering of the LORD, of all the best thereof, even the hallowed part thereof out of it.
[30] Therefore thou shalt say unto them, When ye have heaved the best thereof from it, then it shall be counted unto the Levites as the increase of the threshingfloor, and as the increase of the winepress.
[31] And ye shall eat it in every place, ye and your households: for it is your reward for your service in the tabernacle of the congregation.
[32] And ye shall bear no sin by reason of it, when ye have heaved from it the best of it: neither shall ye pollute the holy things of the children of Israel, lest ye die.

If you follow the sequence, the general population of Israel was to tithe to the Levites, the Levites offered a heave offering of the tithes (the tenth part) as a heave offering to the LORD, THEN you give the LORD's offering to Aaron the priest, and they (the priests and their households) shall eat it in every place. Neither shall you pollute the holy things of the children of Israel (the tithe was holy) lest you die.

Quote:
So it makes sense to me. 1Cor.9 uses the tithing chamber as an example of ministerial support.
The Bible that I typically use (KJV, not saying others aren't okay too), does not mention the tithing chamber in 1 Corinthians 9. Tithe chamber? It is not in thirty one versions of the Bible listed on the Bible Hub for 1 Corinthians 9:13. Did you possibly add that yourself? Is this the Steve Epley NEW and Improved version?

Quote:
Musicians & singers who get offerings are from the tithe yes.
Does the Bible (OT) specify that some Levite singers were to receive tithes, while others were not to receive tithes?

Nehemiah 13:5

[5] And he had prepared for him a great chamber, where aforetime they laid the meat offerings, the frankincense, and the vessels, and the tithes of the corn, the new wine, and the oil, which was commanded to be given to the Levites, and the singers, and the porters; and the offerings of the priests.

It just seems to me that the singers are getting shorted again. Here is another interesting passage concerning singers . . .

[18] All the Levites in the holy city were two hundred fourscore and four.
[19] Moreover the porters, Akkub, Talmon, and their brethren that kept the gates, were an hundred seventy and two.
[20] And the residue of Israel, of the priests, and the Levites, were in all the cities of Judah, every one in his inheritance.
[21] But the Nethinims dwelt in Ophel: and Ziha and Gispa were over the Nethinims.
[22] The overseer also of the Levites at Jerusalem was Uzzi the son of Bani, the son of Hashabiah, the son of Mattaniah, the son of Micha. Of the sons of Asaph, the singers were over the business of the house of God.

And another . . .

[47] And all Israel in the days of Zerubbabel, and in the days of Nehemiah, gave the portions of the singers and the porters, every day his portion: and they sanctified holy things unto the Levites; and the Levites sanctified them unto the children of Aaron.

And another . . .

[10] And I perceived that the portions of the Levites had not been given them: for the Levites and the singers, that did the work, were fled every one to his field

It is really sad . . .

History is repeating itself.

Brother Epley, I really appreciate you at least answering. But, do you consider yourself a priest? or a Levite?

It is relevant because , , ,

The priests only received a tithe of the tithe!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:

Brother Epley, I really
Tithemuncher you are wrong.

Go lay everything at the feet of your pastor and live communal.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Tithemuncher you are wrong.

Go lay everything at the feet of your pastor and live communal.
How am I wrong?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Do you agree?

"Evangelism is a divine mandate, but it is not a blanket permit to mingle loosely with sinners. Another mandate is "keep yourself unspotted."

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Wot has that to do with paying evangelists?