Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 09-05-2018, 04:16 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Anonymous article on MSN of "resistance" inside WH

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...tbs?li=BBnb7Kz

So, MSN just published an anonymous op-ed of someone claiming to be part of the Trump administration, who said he/she (amongst others) were part of the "resistance" inside the administration.

Quote:
The dilemma — which he does not fully grasp — is that many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

I would know. I am one of them.
It's either a bold statement, or a false claim (one never knows anymore, especially since the editor claimed to know who it is).

Quote:
The root of the problem is the president’s amorality. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.
I would accept this premise for the most part. We've seen how Trump treats anyone who opposes him (look at how he attacked all the other Republicans - whether they deserved it or not - during the primary). He's not "America first", he's "Trump first" in my opinion.

Quote:
Although he was elected as a Republican, the president shows little affinity for ideals long espoused by conservatives: free minds, free markets and free people. At best, he has invoked these ideals in scripted settings. At worst, he has attacked them outright.
Again, at face value I might accept this, given his recent actions with tariffs and trade with Canada (amongst others).

Quote:
In addition to his mass-marketing of the notion that the press is the “enemy of the people,” President Trump’s impulses are generally anti-trade and anti-democratic.
This is where he starts to lose me, as I've long known the press were the "enemy of the people". I didn't need Trump to tell me they were "fake news", I've known it for years. It's evident, going back decades, that the press have abdicated their responsibility of fair and honest reporting.

He does heap some praise on Trump:

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong. There are bright spots that the near-ceaseless negative coverage of the administration fails to capture: effective deregulation, historic tax reform, a more robust military and more.
And then proceeds to denigrate him again.

Quote:
But these successes have come despite — not because of — the president’s leadership style, which is impetuous, adversarial, petty and ineffective.
Though, once again, I'm inclined to accept them as at least partially accurate, based on his past actions and behavior.

Then the unknown author tries to paint the "resistance" cabinet as unsung heroes for opposing Trump.

Quote:
The erratic behavior would be more concerning if it weren't for unsung heroes in and around the White House. Some of his aides have been cast as villains by the media. But in private, they have gone to great lengths to keep bad decisions contained to the West Wing, though they are clearly not always successful.
Sorry, but if you disagree with your boss, you don't work around them, you up and quit. Going behind your boss' back is not appropriate.

Quote:
Take foreign policy: In public and in private, President Trump shows a preference for autocrats and dictators, such as President Vladimir Putin of Russia and North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, and displays little genuine appreciation for the ties that bind us to allied, like-minded nations.
I will grant that I've been uncomfortable with his treatment of Kim and Putin, though I'd not necessarily agree that our "allies" have truly behaved as allies should.

Then comes the real kicker.

Quote:
Given the instability many witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president. But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis. So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.
Whispers of invoking the 25th amendment for replacing a sitting president. I'm pretty sure that constitutes treason, if there's not a legitimate reason to remove him.

What follows next is the classic "it's not you, it's me" argument.

Quote:
The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as a nation have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.
Well, considering what they have to say about McLame, I'd say it really is them.

Quote:
Senator John McCain put it best in his farewell letter. All Americans should heed his words and break free of the tribalism trap, with the high aim of uniting through our shared values and love of this great nation.

We may no longer have Senator McCain. But we will always have his example — a lodestar for restoring honor to public life and our national dialogue. Mr. Trump may fear such honorable men, but we should revere them.
Sorry, are we talking about the same McCain that forbade his former VP - Sarah Palin - from attending his funeral? That in his dying breaths, saw fit to sling mud rather than "aim (for) uniting through our shared values"? That McCain? Songbird McShame was no hero, in war or in the senate. He was an opportunistic, sniveling weasel that always tried to go where the popularity was, even if that meant backstabbing his constituents and his fellow Republicans.

The article ends with the following:

Quote:
The writer is a senior official in the Trump administration.
So, is it really a senior official that's exposing corruption in Trump's administration, or is it more "fake news" that's trying to stir up dissent within his cabinet? Either one could be true, to be honest.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Anonymous article on MSN of "resistance" insid

Since when have "senior administration officials" had anything remotely resembling a conscience, or principles, or anything us dirt people can relate to?

More kabuki theater. Not to mention, who bothers with MSN anyways?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-05-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Not to mention, who bothers with MSN anyways?
Whenever I'm setting up a computer at work (either new or one we've reinstalled) part of the process involves configuring Edge and IE. Since both of those default to MSN, that's the only reason I ever stumbled across this. Were it not for that, I wouldn't even go near there.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

IE?

Why IE? Why not Opera, Firefox, or even (choke) Chrome?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

The actual source is the NY Times. This was an "anonymous" op-ed the NYT published today.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Lot of speculation towards the VP's inner circle or the VP himself, due to the use of the word "lodestar." Pence used that word when he gave a eulogy for McCain this past weekend. He's also used the word a few times before as well.

I doubt it's Pence, but who knows.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
IE?

Why IE? Why not Opera, Firefox, or even (choke) Chrome?
We do install FF & Chrome (I'd like to install Opera, but not my call), but we still set up ad blockers in all the browsers, in case the customer ends up using it.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Not riding the train

I read an article, sometime last year, stating that when an article invokes "senior administration officials", it would be referring to holdovers from the previous administration.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I read an article, sometime last year, stating that when an article invokes "senior administration officials", it would be referring to holdovers from the previous administration.
Yeah, I also read "Senior administration officials" could apply to over 600 people who work in the administration.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
The Senior Executive Service, aka the Deep State™. Elected sock puppets come and go, but the SES stays from one administration to the next. They're the ones who actually manage things.

People don't really believe the politicians actually write legislation, do they? I mean, we're talking about people who think islands will capsize if additional military personnel are stationed on them...