Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Living in the desert, water is my #1 concern. It is easy enough to store water for an extended period if all your doing is drinking it, but when you factor any sort of hygiene, washing cloths regardless of how efficient you do it, and even enough to water a small garden, suddenly the amount you needs increases 10-100 fold.
Have you considered getting an IBC, you can get them on Craigs list for a pretty reasonable price, I know you get some rain and you can collect it! 275 gals. would keep you for awhile, and if you stock up on bottled water you can use the rain water for everything else.

A good price on bottled water can be had at the dollar store. They are one gal. containers and store easily. Here we have a store also called BiMart and we can get gal containers for a buck each...not too bad on the wallet!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

We've been looking at a gutter system and rain barrels for a while. For actually collecting it I want to get a big 2500 gallon container that they have for sale at our local nursery. They're designed to sit in the back of a large pick up where they are used for irrigation. I really don't want to mess with 50-75 gallon barrels.

I've also been stocking up on these 6 gallon containers designed for taking water on camping trips. Walmart has them for about 10 bucks.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
We've been looking at a gutter system and rain barrels for a while. For actually collecting it I want to get a big 2500 gallon container that they have for sale at our local nursery. They're designed to sit in the back of a large pick up where they are used for irrigation. I really don't want to mess with 50-75 gallon barrels.

I've also been stocking up on these 6 gallon containers designed for taking water on camping trips. Walmart has them for about 10 bucks.
Sounds like you have a plan...2500gal would be a good amount to have on hand...here in our state we have to be careful because it is illegal to store rain water, even though you can buy rain barrels...I guess its ok to sell them, just not to use them...I really am not sure on all the laws of it.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

If it hasn't been mentioned, Ramen noodles. I get the ones in a cup, just add water. Wal-mart. Started stocking today.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Registered Member

Speaking of washing machines. My son came up with a good idea. (I haven't tried it) But a 5 gal bucket and a commode plunger. Seems it might work in a pinch.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee819 View Post
Speaking of washing machines. My son came up with a good idea. (I haven't tried it) But a 5 gal bucket and a commode plunger. Seems it might work in a pinch.
I'll keep that in mind.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Buy what you eat & eat what you buy. This really isn't a new concept. My grandparents & parents always stocked up on sale items to save money & had livestock & big gardens. A few years back, our area got hit hard with a flood. Roads washed out, grocery stores flooded & closed for months. We had been talking about livestock, & that sealed the deal for us. If we have bad weather, not a big deal. It's been so long since we've bought milk, eggs, & meat that I have no clue what prices are in the store. Living this lifestyle not only gives us peace of mind, but it saves us alot of money too.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM
On the road less traveled

Saw this on pinterest... and had to share it. This lady has an amazing food storage. She has a family of 7, and is Mormon, and the Mormon church does teach preparedness. She basically has a grocery store in her basement!!!

http://dealstomeals.blogspot.com/200...ch-vision.html
Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 AM
On the road less traveled

eww... I don't buy ramen anymore. I try not to buy ANY processed foods if possible. The chemical content is just scary. Thanks for sharing the video.