Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in having one?
Yes 20 83.33%
No 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
bible, bible study, doctrine

Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Re: Apostolic Study Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
What is the sign that a new baby is alive. The initial sign? A certain sound.
A cry from it's innermost being. There will be other signs as the child in fed,
nurtured and cared for. There will be signs of growth, just as a tree grows.
In the fulness of time when that child/tree becomes fully mature, it will bear
fruit. You will know it by what it produces/reproduces. The fruit doesn't fall
far from the tree. There may be hinderances in the child's/tree's growth, but
you will know them by their fruit. Good fruit comes from a good tree. If a child
is "trained up in the way it SHOULD go, by the parents, and when it becomes
an adult, and becomes born again, it should be like the mature, godly parents
that produced it. There will be stages of growth, and just as there are stages
of natural growth, there will be stages of spiritual growth.

My thoughts anyway.

Falla39
we could explain that away or we could look at what the word says. first I must have a bible verse that speaking in tounges is the initial evidence. I need a verse that specifically states this. Cause were talking doctrinal foundation.

secondly not only did some speak in tounges but some prophesied, do we all now have to prophesy?

Jesus also said in Mark 16:17
And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues
they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well

we just cant go on (makes since to me) we need scriptural proof that the only evidence of the holy spirit is tounges.

Do i agree it is a evidence yes is it the only one No.
Paul Himself stated do all speak with tounges asking a rhetoric question meaning NO.

So since we do not have specific verses stating this we cannot go on the baby makes a sound when it cries. what i can agree with you on is the fruit.

Regardless if they spoke in tounges or not, a good tree will produce fruit for the Lord, and that is exactly how Jesus said you will know them. Not by the sound of a baby cry
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerrak View Post
we could explain that away or we could look at what the word says. first I must have a bible verse that speaking in tounges is the initial evidence. I need a verse that specifically states this. Cause were talking doctrinal foundation.

secondly not only did some speak in tounges but some prophesied, do we all now have to prophesy?

Jesus also said in Mark 16:17
And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues
they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well

we just cant go on (makes since to me) we need scriptural proof that the only evidence of the holy spirit is tounges.

Do i agree it is a evidence yes is it the only one No.
Paul Himself stated do all speak with tounges asking a rhetoric question meaning NO.

So since we do not have specific verses stating this we cannot go on the baby makes a sound when it cries. what i can agree with you on is the fruit.

Regardless if they spoke in tounges or not, a good tree will produce fruit for the Lord, and that is exactly how Jesus said you will know them. Not by the sound of a baby cry

Well, Bro.
You've turned off some that call themselves Apostolic with that post.
They wouldn't think a Bible could be called "Apostolic" if it had teaching like that in it.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

This forum is made up of Apostolics with various opinions, thoughts, beliefs, and teaching. We don't agree among ourselves on many things. Some of us actually think nobody is "Apostolic" if they don't agree with us. And this forum is representative of many others who call themselves Apostolic. How could we ever have a Study Bible that could be called "Apostolic" and represent such diversity?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
This forum is made up of Apostolics with various opinions, thoughts, beliefs, and teaching. We don't agree among ourselves on many things. Some of us actually think nobody is "Apostolic" if they don't agree with us. And this forum is representative of many others who call themselves Apostolic. How could we ever have a Study Bible that could be called "Apostolic" and represent such diversity?
i dont know i go to a apostolic church, am i not apostolic?
just cause i do not except the initial evidence doctrine does that make me a non apostolic?

If there was such a verse in the Bible that states with evidence of speaking in tounges attached to acts 2:38 then i would have no room to make such a claim. However you know as well as i do there are many conversions in the bible, and not even half of them talk about about tounges.

To much pressure is placed on people going down to the alter to speak in tounges and there begging God for it.. when God said the Spirit is a free Gift. Not the evidence of tounges.

Tounges is a gift of the Spirit, just as much is faith miracles, prophesies.

We just try to limit one experience and state if you dont have this experience your not saved.. <- bro. sam that isnt biblical
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorTLArt View Post
...I recently bought a new bible and it has a great format and awesome notes and it re-sparked my interest in this project....

What Study Bible did you buy?
What do you like about it?

I have several study Bibles.
I have the
MacArthur Study Bible (John MacArthur)
Prophecy Study Bible (John Hagee)
1599 Geneva Study Bible (not really a study Bible but has lots of notes in it)
Spirit Filled Life Bible (Jack Hayford, General Editor)

I recently purchased the Life In The Spirit Study Bible for my wife

I have recommended both the Spirit Filled Life Bible and the Life in the Spirit Study Bible to people and have given away copies of both.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 06-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

There are Bible studies and there are Bible studies! Then there are the things that the HOLY GHOST teaches!

John 14:26
But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 Cor. 2:13
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

There are those who have a teachable spirit, and there are those you can't tell or teach much, and some you can't teach or tell anything!

Not to be offensive, but endeavoring to speak the truth in love! The love of God shed abroad in my heart by the Holy Ghost! Rom. 5:5

Many in many churches read the Bible, but without the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit to open their understanding, they cannot understand the things of the Spirit. Those are the things which the Holy Ghost teaches.

If the Holy Ghost/Spirit, same thing, was not important, there would be no reason for Jesus to go to the cross and die. GOD had a plan for the redemption of mankind. It was not to STOP with the message and baptism of John the Baptist. That was only to prepare the people that there was ONE coming after John, and HE would baptize them with the HOLY GHOST and Fire.

My best friend in school went to the local A of G church. She married the pastor's son. I graduated with both of them over fifty years ago. I visited her church a few times with her as we lived around the corner from the A of G church. That was before my late father began the church we still attend with three generations of our family. This is not counting my husband of almost 50 years, (will be next month), and I.
My friend explained when I visited with her, that the people at the alter were getting saved. Then they would get baptized and get the power if they wanted it. Today they are members of the large B------ church in our city.

When the Holy Spirit comes in, there will be a sign that the Spirit has made a connection with that person. I cannot understand why a person would argue that you don't have to speak with tongues. You don't have to, but if you want/desire to receive the Spirit, you will seek HIM with your whole heart. Having observed and been in the church all of my 71 yrs, I have observed those who did not receive the Holy Ghost, but claimed they had it, and there is a marked difference in those who did and those who didn't speak in tongues, AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THE UTTERENCE!! Why not be open, and have a teachable spirit and receive ALL that GOD has for us. I received the Holy Ghost at 18 yrs, 53 yrs ago this summer. I still hunger for more of HIM! So many stop short of the greatest experience GOD has for mankind.

A person may received the Holy Spirit and like an infant, that is not fed, die spiritually. Babies seem to be born hungry. So should the newborn infant desire the sincere milk of the Word that it should grow there. Paul taught on that. Then later, if a person does not walk in the Spirit, you will see the fulfilling of the flesh. It's what spirit that is fed the most. The human spirit or the Holy Spirit.

Falla39
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

You've just explained, in so many words, (IMHO, that is) the basic, elementary reason for the "INEFFECTIVENESS" of the Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal Church that is present in the earth today........ DIVISENESS AMONG IT'S MEMBERS!

Please note what Paul advises about the underlying cause for "divisions among you:" (I Corinthians 11:17-19)

Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together NOT FOR THE BETTER, BUT FOR THE WORSE.
For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be DIVISIONS AMONG YOU; and I partly believe it.
For there MUST BE ALSO HERESIES AMONG YOU.....

Instead of dwelling upon the things which brings about DIVISIONS among us, perhaps we would be better served if we focused our attention more towards trying to determine what the "heresies" are which has caused them!

Just my thoughts about the matter..... So, yes, I believe any type of Bible study that is designed to accomplish this is worthwhile.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
There are Bible studies and there are Bible studies! Then there are the things that the HOLY GHOST teaches!

John 14:26
But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 Cor. 2:13
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

There are those who have a teachable spirit, and there are those you can't tell or teach much, and some you can't teach or tell anything!

Not to be offensive, but endeavoring to speak the truth in love! The love of God shed abroad in my heart by the Holy Ghost! Rom. 5:5

Many in many churches read the Bible, but without the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit to open their understanding, they cannot understand the things of the Spirit. Those are the things which the Holy Ghost teaches.

If the Holy Ghost/Spirit, same thing, was not important, there would be no reason for Jesus to go to the cross and die. GOD had a plan for the redemption of mankind. It was not to STOP with the message and baptism of John the Baptist. That was only to prepare the people that there was ONE coming after John, and HE would baptize them with the HOLY GHOST and Fire.

My best friend in school went to the local A of G church. She married the pastor's son. I graduated with both of them over fifty years ago. I visited her church a few times with her as we lived around the corner from the A of G church. That was before my late father began the church we still attend with three generations of our family. This is not counting my husband of almost 50 years, (will be next month), and I.
My friend explained when I visited with her, that the people at the alter were getting saved. Then they would get baptized and get the power if they wanted it. Today they are members of the large B------ church in our city.

When the Holy Spirit comes in, there will be a sign that the Spirit has made a connection with that person. I cannot understand why a person would argue that you don't have to speak with tongues. You don't have to, but if you want/desire to receive the Spirit, you will seek HIM with your whole heart. Having observed and been in the church all of my 71 yrs, I have observed those who did not receive the Holy Ghost, but claimed they had it, and there is a marked difference in those who did and those who didn't speak in tongues, AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THE UTTERENCE!! Why not be open, and have a teachable spirit and receive ALL that GOD has for us. I received the Holy Ghost at 18 yrs, 53 yrs ago this summer. I still hunger for more of HIM! So many stop short of the greatest experience GOD has for mankind.

A person may received the Holy Spirit and like an infant, that is not fed, die spiritually. Babies seem to be born hungry. So should the newborn infant desire the sincere milk of the Word that it should grow there. Paul taught on that. Then later, if a person does not walk in the Spirit, you will see the fulfilling of the flesh. It's what spirit that is fed the most. The human spirit or the Holy Spirit.

Falla39
im not against the Holy ghost falla im just against the initial evidence doctrine that we must speak with tounges to be saved falla
there is a woman falla, who is not pentacostal, as far as i know doesnt speak with tounges, but goes around in different places and showes the Jesus Film.

after words they bring out the deaf people, she sticks her fingers in their ears and they hear.

your caught up looking for a sign. I have seen people just as devoted to God who have never spoke in tounges, who worship and praise Him the same. shrug maybe you need to get out more.

The fact is Not everyone in the book of acts is recorded speaking in tounges.
Not only that i see people come time and time again and again falla to the alter begging and pleading in tounges. but never speak it. After awhile they leave. They think God doesnt love them.

There is to many holes in the initial evidence doctrine. Not even william symour preached it like upci does today.

Last edited by acerrak; 06-11-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM
General Overseer, A.F.N.

Quote:
What Study Bible did you buy?
What do you like about it?

I have several study Bibles.
I have the
MacArthur Study Bible (John MacArthur)
Prophecy Study Bible (John Hagee)
1599 Geneva Study Bible (not really a study Bible but has lots of notes in it)
Spirit Filled Life Bible (Jack Hayford, General Editor)

I recently purchased the Life In The Spirit Study Bible for my wife

I have recommended both the Spirit Filled Life Bible and the Life in the Spirit Study Bible to people and have given away copies of both.

I recently bought the American Patriot's Bible. I have so many study bibles in my library that the list could take up a whole thread lol.

the APB isnt so much a study bible as it is just a great bible that relates to the spirit of patriotism in me as a citizen of this great and blessed nation.
Apostolic is an understanding that God has finally and completely revealed Himself to all mankind through His incarnation as Jesus Christ. He has revealed to all a way of life, love and forgiveness that leads to a right relationship with Him and with each other.

~Repairing the Apostolic Church, Apostle W. Carey & Bishop N. Morales
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerrak View Post
im not against the Holy ghost falla im just against the initial evidence doctrine that we must speak with tounges to be saved falla
there is a woman falla, who is not pentacostal, as far as i know doesnt speak with tounges, but goes around in different places and showes the Jesus Film.

after words they bring out the deaf people, she sticks her fingers in their ears and they hear.

your caught up looking for a sign. I have seen people just as devoted to God who have never spoke in tounges, who worship and praise Him the same. shrug maybe you need to get out more.

The fact is Not everyone in the book of acts is recorded speaking in tounges.
Not only that i see people come time and time again and again falla to the alter begging and pleading in tounges. but never speak it. After awhile they leave. They think God doesnt love them.

There is to many holes in the initial evidence doctrine. Not even william symour preached it like upci does today.
Acerrak,

Have you ever spoken in tongues, AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THE UTTERANCE?

Falla39