Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

The Heroes of Pentecost

The Heroes of Pentecost

The New Testament is filled with stories of people who were used of God to “Preach the Gospel to every creature” They were instrumental spreading the Gospel to the four corners of the earth. We read of John the Baptist announcing the coming of the Messiah, Peter preaching at Pentecost , and of Paul and Silas singing at midnight in prison. We read of the miraculous ministry of Jesus, John on the isle of Patmos and Paul’s writings to the New Testament Church.

And, it doesn’t stop with men. Women, throughout the Bible fulfilled pivotal roles in fulfilling the ministry God had called them to. Priscilla, along with her husband expounded “the way more perfectly unto Apollos“. Act 18:26 In Acts 21, we read of the four unnamed daughters of Phillip “…which did prophesy“. There were many women, some of which are not named, who assisted Paul and served the Lord, in various ways and have, thus, become the “heroines of Pentecost”.

In Acts 6, we have the seven men who were chosen to serve as deacons. Acts 7 and 8 tells us about Stephen, the first martyr of the Christian Faith, and of Phillip, who later became an evangelist and was the first preacher to the Gentiles, but what do we know about the other five? Very little it seems. They were the “unsung heroes of Pentecost“. What we do know about them is significant. Evidently, from Acts 6:3, we know the 7 deacons were: 1) men of Good report, 2) full of the Holy Ghost and 3) had wisdom. When you think about it, what better tribute can you give people who give of themselves to the work of the Lord? They weren’t seeking fame and prestige, they were seeking to serve the Lord. While little information is available for these 5 “unsung heroes of Pentecost“, the meanings of the names speak volumes of the character one needs to serve God: And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, (he that presides over the choirs) and Nicanor, (a conqueror; victorious) and Timon, (honoring), and Parmesan (that abides, or is permanent), and Nicolas (the victory of the people), a proselyte of Antioch: Act 6:5 Who is a hero of our faith but one who leads Gods people, who is ‘more than a conquerer through Christ, who abides permanently in the faith, who is a person of honor, and who has the victory for God’s people at heart? These are “the unsung heroes Pentecost“.

We read of the exploits of the ministry team of Paul and Barnabas: entire cities came to hear their message of salvation. Act 13:44. Through their united ministry, the Word of God was published throughout the region. Healings and miracles were wrought through the hands of these servants of God Act 14:3 They fasted and prayed and God used them mightily to spread the Gospel. But what about the “unsung heroes of Pentecost” that caused this mighty ministry to break forth. In Acts 13 :1-3 we read: Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

Act 13:3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid [their] hands on them, they sent [them] away.

What about this Simeon, Lucius and Mannaen? We know little if any thing about them. Their names are absent in the annals of history, yet their contribution to the work of the early church in launching the ministry of Paul and Banabbas was instrumental in reaching multitudes of Jews and Gentiles with the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. They are the true “unsung heroes of Pentecost”.

In Acts 11, we read of men, whose names are not even recorded, who went to the Grecians to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Of them, and of their mission, the writer of Acts declared, “And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord“.Act 11:21 These men, whose aim was not for social acclaim and wealth and honor, are some of the Bibles “unsung heroes of Pentecost”.

Paul wrote two letters to Timothy, who, Paul refers to as “his own son in the faith”. We know of Timothy's dedicated service to the Lord, of his faithfulness to the church, but what of the two “unsung heroines of Pentecost” that were instrumental in teaching Timothy and who shaped his character.? Timothy’s mother, Eunice, along with Lois, Timothy’s grandmother, was commended for their unpretentious and genuine faith. These were two women, along with scores of others who are the “unsung heroines of the Pentecostal faith”. There are many others: Mary, who was there in the Upper Room to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. The unconverted Paul, in his persecution of the early church, committed both men AND women to prison for their faith, which only served to fan the flames of Pentecostal fire. Act 8:3-4. In Philippians 4:3 Paul said, “And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel,… whose names [are] in the book of life. Paul refers to Phebe, another “unsung heroine of Pentecost” as a “servant to the church”, and as his “helper” and advises the church to “assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you” Rom 16:1

Who are “the unsung heroes of Pentecost”? These are they who quietly and humbly go about their work for the Lord with little to no recognition. They seek no glory, they receive little or no praise… they serve God, often in the face of ridicule and oposition. Often they pass from this life are soon forgotten. But their legacy, their contribution, to the Gospel of Jesus Christ lives on. They are of whom Jesus said:
Blessed are…
…. the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
…. they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
…. the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
…. they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled
…. the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
…. the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
…. the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
…. they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:1-10

A sister, many years ago, felt they call of God in her life to preach the Gospel. She encounter much opposition and hardship but she remained steadfast. She obeyed the call she felt God had placed on her heart. For years she labored unceasingly, preaching the Good News of Salvation and praying… always praying for lost souls.

One night, in an old abandoned schoolhouse/church buiding, where the sister was conducting a revival attended by a handful of dirt poor farm families, the door opened and in walked a neighborhood trouble maker. He reeked of the stench of alcohol. But the lady evangelist continued preaching and, the altar call was given. Down the aisle walked that dirty roughneck, and kneeling at an altar of repentance, the young man wept his way to salvation and deliverance. Later, that young man, who had never before that night attended church, became an international evangelist. He became a renown tent evangelist, was seen and heard on radio and TV and opened a Bible School that’s trained thousands for the work of the ministry. He authored books and published a monthly magazine that helped this writer, and others, to come to know the Lord. That young man became world renowned. But that lady evangelist that lead him to the Lord has all but been forgotten. She is “an unsung hero of Pentecost”.

Do you labor diligently for the Lord without seeking praise or honor? Do you labor on the mission field or in your local church faithfully with little or no recognition? Do you pray that somehow you will reach someone with the Gospel who will go forth and “be strong, and do exploits” for God Kingdom? Dan 11:32. Then take heart… you, too are a “hero or heroine of Pentecost!

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Honorary Admin

Good preaching Bro!!!!! I trust that we can all become unsung heroes of the faith!! It matters not if we are widely known...all that matters is "did we matter?"
Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM

Hold the mayo. Heros or Heroes?

Old 12-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Amen what matters is that we advanced The Kingdom Of God and the cause of Christ,and lifted up Jesus Christ.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Holy Unto The Lord

If you meet me, and forget me, you have lost nothing. If you meet Christ and forget Him, you have lost everything.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:21 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Price View Post
If you meet me, and forget me, you have lost nothing. If you meet Christ and forget Him, you have lost everything.
No that is a great statement my friend....
Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
[

A sister, many years ago, felt they call of God in her life to preach the Gospel. She encounter much opposition and hardship but she remained steadfast. She obeyed the call she felt God had placed on her heart. For years she labored unceasingly, preaching the Good News of Salvation and praying… always praying for lost souls.

One night, in an old abandoned schoolhouse/church buiding, where the sister was conducting a revival attended by a handful of dirt poor farm families, the door opened and in walked a neighborhood trouble maker. He reeked of the stench of alcohol. But the lady evangelist continued preaching and, the altar call was given. Down the aisle walked that dirty roughneck, and kneeling at an altar of repentance, the young man wept his way to salvation and deliverance. Later, that young man, who had never before that night attended church, became an international evangelist. He became a renown tent evangelist, was seen and heard on radio and TV and opened a Bible School that’s trained thousands for the work of the ministry. He authored books and published a monthly magazine that helped this writer, and others, to come to know the Lord. That young man became world renowned. But that lady evangelist that lead him to the Lord has all but been forgotten. She is “an unsung hero of Pentecost”.

Do you labor diligently for the Lord without seeking praise or honor? Do you labor on the mission field or in your local church faithfully with little or no recognition? Do you pray that somehow you will reach someone with the Gospel who will go forth and “be strong, and do exploits” for God Kingdom? Dan 11:32. Then take heart… you, too are a “hero or heroine of Pentecost!
OK, just out of curiosity
who was the evangelist?
and who was the man who got saved?

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Ronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Price View Post
I doubt the bolded statement is true.

I know the second statement is true though.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
OK, just out of curiosity
who was the evangelist?
and who was the man who got saved?
The sisters name I cannot recall. The evangelist: (I'll get a whoopin' here) was Asa Alonzo Allen.

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Bro. OneAccord,

If I am not mistaken several of our UPCI ministers came in under lady

evangelists. TF Tenney, Arless Glass, C P Kilgore, A D Urshan, and I feel

sure there were probably more. My brother just younger than myself, and I

received the Holy Ghost the last night of a revival held by Sister Lee of

Grand Prairie, Tx. The year 1958.

Blessings,

Falla39