Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Useful Verses????

Okay,

The Bible says that all scripture is useful for teaching, rebuking, etc.

When reading the Bible together, my wife and I often enjoy noticing those little verses that maybe seem, well, a little less useful than others. It sometimes amuses us (in addition to our serious study) to discuss what one might learn from certain obscure verses......

Our recent favorite...

Ex 16:36..... I feel much smarter after reading this verse!!

Anyone else ever snicker a little at some verses (or are we just nuts)? Any favorite examples?

Last edited by snicker1986; 01-29-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
mary

Re: Useful Verses????

You're just nuts.

...well, you asked!
Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicker1986 View Post
Okay,

The Bible says that all scripture is useful for teaching, rebuking, etc.

When reading the Bible together, my wife and I often enjoy noticing those little verses that maybe seem, well, a little less useful than others. It sometimes amuses us (in addition to our serious study) to discuss what one might learn from certain obscure verses......

Our recent favorite...

Ex 16:36..... I feel much smarter after reading this verse!!

Anyone else ever snicker a little at some verses (or are we just nuts)? Any favorite examples?

Snicker you have made my day! I feel so much more ready for life since your sharing of that scripture. WOW! Now an omer is the tenth part of an ephah. Ex 16:36. ????

Anyone having any questions that you need answered. I'm ready now!

BeenThinkin

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Proverbs 25:24 always gives me a chuckle:

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a large house.

(I am feeling very powerful right now!)
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyahstarter View Post
Proverbs 25:24 always gives me a chuckle:

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a large house.

(I am feeling very powerful right now!)
I love that one. Not that I ever was, or is, or will be a brawling woman.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 01-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

This verse cracks me up every time I read it:

2 Kings 19:35 (King James Version)

35And it came to pass that night, that the angel of the LORD went out, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians an hundred fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses.

I can just picture one of them awakening the next morning, looking around with startled eyes and proclaiming - "BEHOLD! I'm a dead corpse! And so are you! And you!!"
Old 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post

35And it came to pass that night, that the angel of the LORD went out, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians an hundred fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses.

I can just picture one of them awakening the next morning, looking around with startled eyes and proclaiming - "BEHOLD! I'm a dead corpse! And so are you! And you!!"
I know, right. Is it okay to laugh? Cause I am.......

And how did they rise if they were all dead corpses?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
I know, right. Is it okay to laugh? Cause I am.......
I hope so, otherwise I'm doomed!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 PM
mary

I like the crossing of the Red Sea, personally.
Exodus 14:24 And it came to pass, that in the morning watch the LORD looked unto the host of the Egyptians through the pillar of fire and of the cloud, and troubled the host of the Egyptians,
Exodus 14:25 And took off their chariot wheels, that they drave them heavily: so that the Egyptians said, Let us flee from the face of Israel; for the LORD fighteth for them against the Egyptians.

Wow, really? It troubled the Egyptians that they were driving through a sea, water piled on either side, and suddenly their wheels fell off their chariots? And again, really? Without wheels the chariots drove heavily?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post

I've had a lot of mornings like that!

I read a "Bible Trivia" book once that said Nehemiah 3:25 was the most obscure verse in the Bible. I've sometimes "shared" the Scripture reference with unsuspecting folks just for fun.