Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: Charismatic Sweep

Speaking in tongues seems to grab a lot of headlines within the Christian community these days. I remember finding one article discussing what the writer called the "vogue of speaking in tongues". The argument was that many people perhaps do not have the genuine gift of the Holy Ghost, but yet spoke in other tongues to "fit in" with those the genuinely have the Spirit of God dwelling within them.

Likewise, there are just as many articles circling about the continuing decline of the Spirit baptism and the movement of the Spirit within most self-proclaiming Pentecostal churches. There was an Assemblies of God pastor that said something along these lines: Christians don't like standing out unless they have to, and that's why many Pentecostal churches have dwindled in terms of Spirit-filled services because these churches want to move into the mainstream.

They've traded the real deal for trash.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
This thread has a video of a message by an Assembly.. Assemblies... of God pastor. You may find it interesting.

http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ght=Clendennen
Listening to it now. This was the AoG my mother grew up in as a young girl before attending a UPC church. She tells of when the AoG church she attended believed in the New Birth (necessity not added benefit) and holiness dress standards.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
I believe a lady who cuts her hair is in rebellion against the Word of God. However, I concur with EVERYTHING else in your post.
We can't be right in everything.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
The Bible tells us if a woman is shorn or shaven (i.e. cuts her hair), it is a shame (1 Corinthians 11:6).
I have looked at that chapter I dont know how many times. The uncut hair doctrine is just not there. Not trying to derail the thread with a hair discussion. Not that I mind discussing it.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:57 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Listening to it now. This was the AoG my mother grew up in as a young girl before attending a UPC church. She tells of when the AoG church she attended believed in the New Birth (necessity not added benefit) and holiness dress standards.
There are still some AG that live holiness. A rare find.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
I have looked at that chapter I dont know how many times. The uncut hair doctrine is just not there. Not trying to derail the thread with a hair discussion. Not that I mind discussing it.
Some interesting information that can help:

http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/7061-hair

Quote:
Fashions Among Women.

Among women long hair is extolled as a mark of beauty (Cant. iv. 1, vii. 6). A woman's hair was never cut except as a sign of deep mourning or of degradation (Jer. vii. 29; comp. Deut. xxi. 12). Women gave much thought to the care and decoration of their hair (II Kings ix. 30; Cant. iv. 1, vi. 4, vii. 5; Judith x. 3). The prophet Isaiah derides the many aids used by the women in curling and tending their hair (Isaiah iii.). Josephus mentions the custom—still obtaining in the East—of sprinkling gold-dust on the hair in order to produce a golden shimmer ("Ant." viii. 7, § 3).
I think the concern about trimming it came because of the trend to let the hair down and flow freely outside the house. Women back then used to wear their hair up in complex braids or even covered. Leaving the hair down and flowing was something you did at home.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:21 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
The main point of the chapter is that Christian women ought to have their head covered when praying or prophesying, otherwise they might as well cut off their hair.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
The main point of the chapter is that Christian women ought to have their head covered when praying or prophesying, otherwise they might as well cut off their hair.
So cut hair is ok as long as they wear a head covering?

Old 02-11-2020, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

If women do not cover their heads then they should just cut off their hair. This is what Western women do. They don’t cover their and then they whack off their hair.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:38 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
So cut hair is ok as long as they wear a head covering?
It is a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven. That is why if she will not cover her head she ought to be shorn or shaven, because a woman praying uncovered is unseemly (shameful, inappropriate).

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf