Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Re: Tithing…Is it a command?

One has to do alot of twisting to teach tithes is for us.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryseeker View Post
My suggestion would be that you get into a GOOD Bible study
I wonder if you know who I am?

Been around just tired Sheaves for Christ to move...
Old 12-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
One has to do alot of twisting to teach tithes is for us.
PTL Truthseeker,

Please don't take this wrong. I just want to ask you a simple question.

Will you sell all, take up the cross, and follow Him? If you say yes, share your experience.

God doesn't want a tenth; He wants everything. We must learn to serve Him with ALL, nothing more, nothing less. I believe you're arguing the point because you don't tithe and have hidden things in your tent.

As a pastor, I have seen this in folks and everyone who holds back the tithe has alterior motives within. Ananias and Saphira are still a part of the church today. Please check your heart. Money will bind you if you're not careful.

Give all and be set free.

God Bless, NFS
Old 12-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotforSale View Post
PTL Truthseeker,

Please don't take this wrong. I just want to ask you a simple question.

Will you sell all, take up the cross, and follow Him? If you say yes, share your experience.

God doesn't want a tenth; He wants everything. We must learn to serve Him with ALL, nothing more, nothing less. I believe you're arguing the point because you don't tithe and have hidden things in your tent.

As a pastor, I have seen this in folks and everyone who holds back the tithe has alterior motives within. Ananias and Saphira are still a part of the church today. Please check your heart. Money will bind you if you're not careful.

Give all and be set free.

God Bless, NFS

No I will not sell all, have you? My guess is your not homeless, so you probably haven't. I have a family and kids and homeless and cold is not something I'm interested in.

The tithe debate must be answered by scripture and scripture alone. Accusations and assumptions are prersumptous and dangerous.

I have no problem with tithes as a guide but all this going to hell over it stuff is great error.

I usually don't get personal on forums and like to stay on topic, buy since you said I might have hidden things in my tent, I will be say that if you teache tithes you not what the scriptures say on the subject nor given any unbias study towards.

I have tithed for years even taught it to new converts, but when I took a closer look at I discovered there is many erroneous assumptions and misintepretations of the tithe doctrine.

Ananias had nothing to do with tithes or offerings but LYING about what they sold it for, just another twist on scripture regarding tithes/offerings. Even peter it was in there power to give what they wanted.

BTW Elder nothing personal here nor am I offended, so post away with out fear of offending me, I'll do the same.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM
A Student of the Word

If one is going to teach tithing, then one must teach all of the biblical tithing doctrine - from the very laws from which this doctrine is derived: That is, complying with all eight tithing ordinances that Mal 3:10 refers to (all of the tithes, not just one or two). However, most Bible teachers today have no real knowledge or understanding of the tithing precept, or why after the death of Christ, tithing is never mentioned again.

Is a workman worthy of his hire? Absolutely! No question about that. Should a local assembly take on the responsibility of supporting those who labor among them? Absolutely! Do those who "require" tithing actually believe in what they teach? Only a few! Most continue to grasp firmly to their secular jobs, not trusting in God to really meet their needs through the gospel they preach. Even so, if one is going to follow Paul's example, then they should leave the subject of tithing alone and support themselves, so as not to be a burden on the assembly.

No where in the scriptures are we allowed to establish our case on just a few laws, in order to support our favorite, or sanctioned doctrines. If we appeal to just one written ordinance (take it down from the cross), are we are committed then to the entire package? Yet, the law of God still has a legitimate role to play in the life of a N.T. Christian (but, that is another study). As was pointed out on an earlier post, unlike the people of old, we actually own nothing, but are simply stewards of God’s creation, much like Adam and Eve! They owned nothing while maintaining control and responsibility over everything.

Yet, my personal position on tithing is that ten percent of my income is good a starting point for personal giving – when I have it to give – to support the work of the kingdom of God. Actually, according to the law, I am legally a double recipient of the Levitical tithe. Of course, according to our modern interpretation (rejection) of the law, I am excluded from receiving my otherwise lawful portion that the statutes allocate to me. And no, I am not a pastor! Even so, the purpose of the tithe was eliminated along with the destruction of the Temple and the disbanding of its hereditary Levitical priesthood. Now, if we are required to support a Temple replacement, i.e. the local church building, then let’s identify it for what it is, a levy on the congregation of a resurrected Temple tax, separate from any tithing issue.

An interesting site, with a little hype and some substance, may be found at: www.nomoretithing.org

A final comment: If anyone is convicted in their heart that tithing is a personal requirement upon them – even established and settled by the word and the Spirit of God, then by all means continue to tithe! Do not allow anyone to persuade you differently! If, on the other hand you are convinced that you should give according to your understanding of the word, your ability, intent and clear conscience before God, then let that be your guide. And, let us all be joyful in our hearts with the free giving of our substance to further the work of our Lord’s kingdom, and not suffer under compulsion or the judgment of men.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Jesus is the Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaShaliach View Post
If one is going to teach tithing, then one must teach all of the biblical tithing doctrine - from the very laws from which this doctrine is derived: That is, complying with all eight tithing ordinances that Mal 3:10 refers to (all of the tithes, not just one or two). However, most Bible teachers today have no real knowledge or understanding of the tithing precept, or why after the death of Christ, tithing is never mentioned again.

Is a workman worthy of his hire? Absolutely! No question about that. Should a local assembly take on the responsibility of supporting those who labor among them? Absolutely! Do those who "require" tithing actually believe in what they teach? Only a few! Most continue to grasp firmly to their secular jobs, not trusting in God to really meet their needs through the gospel they preach. Even so, if one is going to follow Paul's example, then they should leave the subject of tithing alone and support themselves, so as not to be a burden on the assembly.

No where in the scriptures are we allowed to establish our case on just a few laws, in order to support our favorite, or sanctioned doctrines. If we appeal to just one written ordinance (take it down from the cross), are we are committed then to the entire package? Yet, the law of God still has a legitimate role to play in the life of a N.T. Christian (but, that is another study). As was pointed out on an earlier post, unlike the people of old, we actually own nothing, but are simply stewards of God’s creation, much like Adam and Eve! They owned nothing while maintaining control and responsibility over everything.

Yet, my personal position on tithing is that ten percent of my income is good a starting point for personal giving – when I have it to give – to support the work of the kingdom of God. Actually, according to the law, I am legally a double recipient of the Levitical tithe. Of course, according to our modern interpretation (rejection) of the law, I am excluded from receiving my otherwise lawful portion that the statutes allocate to me. And no, I am not a pastor! Even so, the purpose of the tithe was eliminated along with the destruction of the Temple and the disbanding of its hereditary Levitical priesthood. Now, if we are required to support a Temple replacement, i.e. the local church building, then let’s identify it for what it is, a levy on the congregation of a resurrected Temple tax, separate from any tithing issue.

An interesting site, with a little hype and some substance, may be found at: www.nomoretithing.org

A final comment: If anyone is convicted in their heart that tithing is a personal requirement upon them – even established and settled by the word and the Spirit of God, then by all means continue to tithe! Do not allow anyone to persuade you differently! If, on the other hand you are convinced that you should give according to your understanding of the word, your ability, intent and clear conscience before God, then let that be your guide. And, let us all be joyful in our hearts with the free giving of our substance to further the work of our Lord’s kingdom, and not suffer under compulsion or the judgment of men.
good post
If ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Mone me, amabo te, si erro

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Kevin J. Conner The Name of God p. 92
Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 PM
A Student of the Word

Well, I see I left a few typeos and a couple of extra words scattered in the misssive. LOLOL But, I guess the message still managed to come through.

Fumbling with words, fumble, fumble.......
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaShaliach View Post

Good post, brother. I sense sincerity and honest desire for level theology.

The point about tithing not being mentioned after the death of Christ is an interesting one. Plenty is said about money and riches (and giving), but nothing about tithing (the exact word); does this mean we abolish the tithe?

Money and riches lead one to bribery, ill-seeking lust, and a voracious appetite for the temporal. These alone are warnings, especially to us of America, letting us know danger lurks in the chambers of mammon. We must never let money control us, allowing the nature of "holding back" to graple us down to conditional servitude, which I believe is the tithe of hypocrisy.

When Jesus came to this world, he dealt with the Law in ways that stunned everybody. He told us, adultery is more than a physical act; Jesus took it further, and did not erase the need to abstain from this behaviour; this sin can be committed in the "heart". This is so revelatory.

This was the problem with the Scribes and Pharasees; everything they did was external. The Lord told them, cleanse the inside. Take care of the inner man, where inner desires control us. Jesus said on the sermon on the mount; Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Jesus did not come to this world to condemn the Law, but to fullifll the Law.

If the heart is cleansed, vision is restored. We see God in His fullness. Holding back becomes irrellevent and distant. We find Him as complete and we are left in need of nothing. Everything becomes His. Our lives hold no bars against His will. We follow Him, while He leads us on paths of complete surrender. God's Law is no longer on tables of stone, but is written within where it matters and ultimately shapes us into those who are of another world.

Like I've stated earlier, measuring the tithe is vain. God wants all. If the heart is focused and clear, this is not difficult. As the Lord is in plain view, we find nowhere else to go but too, Him. We understand. We are free.

Just like adultery is of the heart, so is giving. Jesus took us deeper with the giving issue, not away from its necessity and blessing. He told the rich young ruler, "sell everything". His disciples "forsook all" and followed him. The woman who gave the mite, gave all that she had, Jesus telling the religious of that day, she gave more than the tithers.

We are Home Missionaries in our city. My wife and I, and our 3 children sacraficed our lives to start this work here. In the last 13 years we have given in ways most will never understand. We sold our dream home, ran our bank account to below empty, worked untold hours, all to do His will of seeing the lost saved. I have laid on the floor in utter despair, wondering if we were going to make it. Through it all though, I found hope. Hope in Him. Hope that He can make a way. Hope in that I could never out-give God, and that the cruz of oil will not fail.

I discovered that when we gave the Lord our heart, mind, soul, strength, money, things, time, you name it, we were set free. I realized I must stop counting, measuring, and limiting the true potential of our Mighty King.

The more we fuss over the tithe, the more we will choke out and hinder God's ability to press down, shake together, and run it over. I could never repay Him for all He has done for me. It is with great Joy, I give Him my everything. I may have things today, but tomorrow may be different. Job may end up being my close freind and I must be ready for the challenge of being abased once again.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:33 PM
A Student of the Word

Thanks to the both of you gentlemen.

As to the appropriate application of the Law, I will be addressing that subject throughout the study I am starting on the Bible Study thread Bible Study

Subject: The Study of Mt 5-7 (From a Hebraic world view).
Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

A thought came to me this weekend.

The Lord is the Bridegroom. The Church (us) are the the Bride.

In marriage (been married myself for 28 years), finances between my wife and I are one and the same. What's mine is hers and what's hers is mine. We are one flesh and care for one another with no barriers. In raising 3 children, I didn't tell my wife, "The Family only gets 10%." When my wife became ill and almost died, my bank account went dry paying her hospital bill. If 10% was my limit, she wouldn't be with me today.

In marriage counseling, when the marriage is at risk of failure, finances become divided, or have been a devisive issue for a long time. In fact, money becomes the fight when the bitter end evolves.

If we are one with the Lord and are truly His Bride, the 10% rule is abolished. The reason is simple; Our relationship with Him holds no bars or lines because we are married to the Lord; We are 100% comitted, just like a good marriage is. If we hold back, we are telling God we are on conditional terms with Him. This will lead us down the path of "Divorce" if we are not careful, and it won't be the Lord who files.

This is just a thought. Hope it provokes good reason.