Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeshua is God

Re: List of grace giving churches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
Perhaps belivers in freewill giving should make a new version of the New Testament, and take out the references to christian tithing.....oh wait, there are none.

Now, wasn't there a fellow who went through the trouble of publishing a whole new version of the Bible, The Holy Apostolic New Testament, just to erase the text of Matthew 28:19? Now who did that, FlaminZword?

So you tell me who has a problem with scripture?!
I have people who have congratulate me on The Holy Apostolic New Testament, they like the new features it has and some have enjoyed the Jesus Name Appendix, which explains the restoration of the authentic text of Matthew 28:19.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones, did not you left the apostolic way and have joined the Trinitarians?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
I have people who have congratulate me on The Holy Apostolic New Testament, they like the new features it has and some have enjoyed the Jesus Name Appendix, which explains the restoration of the authentic text of Matthew 28:19.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones, did not you left the apostolic way and have joined the Trinitarians?
Nope that would be me!

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Nope that would be me!
Well since you are a fellow service member I will give you a free return pass to the Apostolic way, we will welcome you back with open arms and a smile.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Well since you are a fellow service member I will give you a free return pass to the Apostolic way, we will welcome you back with open arms and a smile.
Thank you, but no thank you!

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:

I'm the preacher at the Bible Church I posted earlier in this thread. It has an open membership (open to believers,as the church should be), but you won't find the word trinity in our statement of beliefs, nor do I believe in the trinity, neither baptize I in the titles of the trinity, BUT since justification is by faith in Jesus Christ, its not my place to condemn people who have faith and fruit, but (IMO) flawed theology.

At the church we have a box at the back of the sanctuary, and whoever wants to give is free to do so.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

If I were in Decatur I would visit for sure. Sounds like a place I would enjoy.

I am however in Ohio. You and Rudy raise an interesting point about starting churches that go against the current. The problem is, I'm not so sure about doing it. I am in a very strong, stable, large church. It is a very good church in most ways. Now, I have a real problem with the tithing nonsense and some of the "standards" (that our Pastor admits to us ministers are just tradition, but he will not stop preaching b/c he feels he doesnt have the right to remove the lines the previous leaders of our movement have put up), but it is still a great church.

So do I leave a very good church that is stable and I can be saved in, just to start a small home meeting or church just over tithing and a couple standards? Do I take my children out of a church where they have a fantastic childrens program and tons of kids to a church where it may be just them alone? And how do I convince my wife, who loves the church and tends to always only see the good in things like church, that we would be better off starting a church or group that doesn't preach garbage like tithing? If shes not on board with it, then it's going to be next to impossible.

It's easy to say "just start a church that doesn't preach that stuff", or even "go find another church", but in reality...it's not easy at all. I have hoped that I could change the church from within, but I know that is not the case in these areas.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
If I were in Decatur I would visit for sure. Sounds like a place I would enjoy.

I am however in Ohio. You and Rudy raise an interesting point about starting churches that go against the current. The problem is, I'm not so sure about doing it. I am in a very strong, stable, large church. It is a very good church in most ways. Now, I have a real problem with the tithing nonsense and some of the "standards" (that our Pastor admits to us ministers are just tradition, but he will not stop preaching b/c he feels he doesnt have the right to remove the lines the previous leaders of our movement have put up), but it is still a great church.

So do I leave a very good church that is stable and I can be saved in, just to start a small home meeting or church just over tithing and a couple standards? Do I take my children out of a church where they have a fantastic childrens program and tons of kids to a church where it may be just them alone? And how do I convince my wife, who loves the church and tends to always only see the good in things like church, that we would be better off starting a church or group that doesn't preach garbage like tithing? If shes not on board with it, then it's going to be next to impossible.

It's easy to say "just start a church that doesn't preach that stuff", or even "go find another church", but in reality...it's not easy at all. I have hoped that I could change the church from within, but I know that is not the case in these areas.
This is one of the reasons why there are so many denominations in Christianity. one person does not like one doctrine that is preached in their church and off goes to create a new denomination that does not teach that doctrine.
In a way it is good for the more churches there are the more outreach is done to the lost, but sometimes it becomes bad when the anti-this go on a rampage against the pro-this or vice versa.
So are we going to have a new Apostolic denomination that does not teach tithing? then after that what will be the next split?
A house divided can not stand.

First of all I will not stop preaching tithing, but on the same token I do not think we should throw out of the church people who do not believe in tithing, it is simply a disagreement over doctrine.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why there are so many denominations in Christianity. one person does not like one doctrine that is preached in their church and off goes to create a new denomination that does not teach that doctrine.
In a way it is good for the more churches there are the more outreach is done to the lost, but sometimes it becomes bad when the anti-this go on a rampage against the pro-this or vice versa.
So are we going to have a new Apostolic denomination that does not teach tithing? then after that what will be the next split?
A house divided can not stand.

First of all I will not stop preaching tithing, but on the same token I do not think we should throw out of the church people who do not believe in tithing, it is simply a disagreement over doctrine.
Yep just like us "Simply a disagreement over doctrine "

Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Yep just like us "Simply a disagreement over doctrine "
I will never stop preaching the tithe or the Oneness, but if a person wants to keep on believing otherwise, well that is their prerogative.

My job as a preacher is to convince all the congregation to believe certain doctrines, if I fail to convince one person, that does not mean I will get rid of that person, perhaps it is my own failure to explain correctly that doctrine and why should I punish that person for my own failure?

When I had my own church, I never forced anyone to either stay or leave. My job was to preach my message not to kick people out, everyone was free to come in and listen or free to stand up and walk out, I would simply preach my message and let people decide whether to accept it or reject it.

On my next church I will keep the same precept, I will preach what God gives me to preach and if some want to accept it well, but if others refuse to accept it, well its on them, my job is simple to preach. I do not use my preaching to keep people in or to chase people out, unlike some other preachers I do know.

Last edited by FlamingZword; 07-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I will never stop preaching the tithe or the Oneness, but if a person wants to keep on believing otherwise, well that is their prerogative.

My job as a preacher is to convince all the congregation to believe certain doctrines, if I fail to convince one person, that does not mean I will get rid of that person, perhaps it is my own failure to explain correctly that doctrine and why should I punish that person for my own failure?

When I had my own church, I never forced anyone to either stay or leave. My job was to preach my message not to kick people out, everyone was free to come in and listen or free to stand up and walk out, I would simply preach my message and let people decide whether to accept it or reject it.

On my next church I will keep the same precept, I will preach what God gives me to preach and if some want to accept it well, but if others refuse to accept it, well its on them, my job is simple to preach. I do not use my preaching to keep people in or to chase people out, unlike some other preachers I do know.
Army guy! Honestly we are not all that far from each other in what we believe.
I am a tither and have been from day 1.
I probably lean more Oneness in my view of the Godhead but I don't hold full Godhead understanding as a requirement for Salvation.
I believe in Biblical Baptism (Matt 28:19, Acts 2:38 and Romans 6:3-5) Baptism is done in the Authority of Jesus Christ.
I believe that Holy Ghost is for today (I spoke in tongues last night at our prayer meeting and I spoke in tongues this morning in my own prayer time) and I believe in living a separated life. My life and the way I display my life should in most cases look the same as my unsaved neighbors.

Where we separate is what you believe is required for Salvation. On this we can agree to disagree.

May God bless your ministry and may He keep you in the message that He has given you, but as for me and my household it would take the audible voice of God to tell me that I am out of fellowship and in wrong doctrine before I will back.