Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Re: Something I read today....

"We know what something is worth to someone by what they are willing to pay for it. Out of love for us, God was willing to do nothing less than to go to the farthest extreme of becoming our sin (2 Cor 5:21) and becoming our God-forsaken curse (Gal 3:13). God could not have gone any further than he in fact did to free us from our bondage and make us his bride. If the worth of something or someone to another is determined by what they are willing to pay to acquire it, then the fact that God was willing to pay the greatest price that could possibly be paid can only mean that we have the greatest possible worth to God. The unsurpassable price God paid for us, in other words, means that we have unsurpassable worth to God. God could not possibly love us more than he actually does...

On the cross, God reveals his true character and promises to be this kind of loving God to us. On the cross, God reveals his perfect love for us and reveals our unsurpassable worth to him. And on the cross God promises to always love us like this and to always ascribe this worth to us. The most remarkable part of God’s love revealed on the cross is that this love is revealed while “we were still sinners” and were positioning ourselves as his enemy (Rom 5:8; 10). In fact, God loved us precisely by becoming our sin and by standing in our place as a God-forsaken enemy! The unsurpassable worth God ascribes to us isn’t based on anything positive he finds in us, and it can’t be lessened by anything negative he finds in us. The cross demonstrates that God’s love for us, and our priceless worth to him, are completely based on God’s character, not ours. Even when we are in bondage to sin and are thinking, feeling, and/or acting like God’s enemies, we can trust that it remains as true as ever that we could not be loved more than we actually are, and could not matter more to God than we actually do. There is nothing that fills my heart with more joy, peace, and confidence than the realization that God’s perfect, unsurpassable, unwavering love for me is also unconditional. When we allow this unconditional love to form the core of our self-identity, we will remain unshakable in our sense of being fully alive, regardless of what life may throw our way." Greg Boyd, ReKnew

(I deleted the part about the Trinity.)
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear

Last edited by mizpeh; 02-22-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

There is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:28
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

To any Calvinists who think we were saved at the cross without faith and repentance:

"Roger Olson
Calvin himself vigorously denied that anyone was or is saved solely by the cross. And Piper, for example, always says the cross "secured" salvation for the elect. So point him to his own Calvinist teachers--most of who know the cross did not save anyone without their own personal repentance (which God monergistically guarantees in them)."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereo...#disqus_thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
To any Calvinists who think we were saved at the cross without faith and repentance:

"Roger Olson
Calvin himself vigorously denied that anyone was or is saved solely by the cross. And Piper, for example, always says the cross "secured" salvation for the elect. So point him to his own Calvinist teachers--most of who know the cross did not save anyone without their own personal repentance (which God monergistically guarantees in them)."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereo...#disqus_thread

Mizpeh,

I could not help but notice this several days ago because it was in the "latest threads" column on the right. The link to this quote did not work and I could not find additional context anywhere else so I'll just work with this. First, as you know, I am decidedly not Calvinist. Second, I will never understand why you like Olson so much (that is not to say I personally dislike him, I just would not recommend him as a teacher based on some of the things I have read from him). Anyway, I just wanted to point out part of the quote and see if you think it really agrees with your opening comment:

"So point him to his own Calvinist teachers--most of who know the cross did not save anyone without their own personal repentance (which God monergistically guarantees in them)."

God monergistically guaranteeing that anyone makes a personal choice is an oxymoron notwithstanding all the furious hand waving of Calvinists. Secondly, Calvinism teaches that a person repents as a result (because of) of having been regenerated, it does not teach a person repents in order to be regenerated. In other words, Calvinism does not teach that a person repents in order to be saved but rather that a person repents because (and only after) they have "monergistically" been saved. In fact, faith is a result of salvation, faith does not result in salvation. Let's make it simple...in Calvinism, anything that is dependent on the volition of man is a "work," and Calvinism teaches salvation is absolutely "works free," salvation is not dependent on any work of man or man's "willful" cooperation.

Just saying--
TheLayman