Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Re: The "DAVID DANCED WHILE NAKED" error

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
The stripping away of the inward spiritual man caused them to try to remedy it by outward clothing.
Not touching this one!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Stranger in a Strange Land

Don't LOOK, Ethel!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

What to say, what to say?

I had never really thought about it all that much until now. I believe that when the Bible was translated the words naked meant fully unclothed, while the word nakedness implies that there is little or nothing being worn, or that you are committing what we would call today 'indecent exposure'.

That having been said, I do not find David to be dancing until he was entirely naked, but only until he had was dancing in an ephod, this could have been an undergarment that was more revealing than his other clothing without actually showing any 'nakedness'. I do think that his wife was appalled by his actions, and was jealous over his kingly dignity. Her father would have influenced what her visions of proper royal decorum would have been.

All of this, compounded by a seeming lack of interest in the things of God on her part, set the seen for the sad finale on what was a very happy day. David says that he would be more base in his own site, but be had in honor.

I would say it is not that different a situation from ours, when we take off the suit coat and dance until the shirt is entirely untucked, and we hunt for the tie on the third row, and who knows where the watch and pocket change are. Women shout their hair down, and then there are pins lying all over the floor. We have abased ourselves in our eyes, and in the eyes of our fellow men. We are told that we look like we are insane and crazy. However, such is our zeal for God, that we do not care what others say.

I hold that is a similar circumstance with David.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Sorry if I went long and waxed redundant. Hazards of having long periods without sleep.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
What to say, what to say?

I had never really thought about it all that much until now. I believe that when the Bible was translated the words naked meant fully unclothed, while the word nakedness implies that there is little or nothing being worn, or that you are committing what we would call today 'indecent exposure'.

That having been said, I do not find David to be dancing until he was entirely naked, but only until he had was dancing in an ephod, this could have been an undergarment that was more revealing than his other clothing without actually showing any 'nakedness'. I do think that his wife was appalled by his actions, and was jealous over his kingly dignity. Her father would have influenced what her visions of proper royal decorum would have been.

All of this, compounded by a seeming lack of interest in the things of God on her part, set the seen for the sad finale on what was a very happy day. David says that he would be more base in his own site, but be had in honor.

I would say it is not that different a situation from ours, when we take off the suit coat and dance until the shirt is entirely untucked, and we hunt for the tie on the third row, and who knows where the watch and pocket change are. Women shout their hair down, and then there are pins lying all over the floor. We have abased ourselves in our eyes, and in the eyes of our fellow men. We are told that we look like we are insane and crazy. However, such is our zeal for God, that we do not care what others say.

I hold that is a similar circumstance with David.
But an ephod was a priest's garment, not undergarments.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Where does the idea come from that it was revealing, though? I can only see Michal's words as a basis for that since she said he was uncovered.
As I said the WORD used there could simply mean revealed...thats the word used there in Hebrew

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Go Dodgers!

look folks, if ya wants to dance nekkid be my guest, just do it in private, don't look for bible to do what you want to do

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Covenant Apostolic

I personally would rather people be clothed, I don't want to see everyone's whereforall.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

David's disposition was described by an eye witness...
2 Samuel 6:20
King James Version (KJV)
20Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!
I think David's ephod was flapping while he danced with all his might. These ephods are modest... if one isn't dancing like crazy. Wear one with nothing underneath and watch and see if you have a chance of exposing yourself. Get my drift?

Anyway... it's evident that the handmaids and servants were worshiping also, and so weren't gawking at David's "uncovered" parts. However, in all of this Michal clearly was more focused on David's "junk", and the embarrassment it presented to the "royal office".

I'm not saying it's okay to dance naked. But if one is dancing in church and a little leg, or clevage, or chest, shows... are you going to be aghast, judging them for not being "proper" in our high Pentecostal formalities, or will you be rejoicing with them about what the LORD has done????
Old 10-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
David's disposition was described by an eye witness...
2 Samuel 6:20
King James Version (KJV)
20Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!
I think David's ephod was flapping while he danced with all his might. These ephods are modest... if one isn't dancing like crazy. Wear one with nothing underneath and watch and see if you have a chance of exposing yourself. Get my drift?

Anyway... it's evident that the handmaids and servants were worshiping also, and so weren't gawking at David's "uncovered" parts. However, in all of this Michal clearly was more focused on David's "junk", and the embarrassment it presented to the "royal office".

I'm not saying it's okay to dance naked. But if one is dancing in church and a little leg, or clevage, or chest, shows... are you going to be aghast, judging them for not being "proper" in our high Pentecostal formalities, or will you be rejoicing with them about what the LORD has done????
How do we know David was not wearing the undergarments priests wear?

Why does this mean his genitals were exposed? I've seen girls at church jump or dance and at some point thier skirt rose up a bit but not enough to see their underwear yet one might still have the same thought of David's jealous wife