Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 AM

Is Acts 2:38 your god?

In a captivating message at the 2007 BOTT, Jeff Arnold, a solid PAJCer, and a favorite preacher of mine, remarked that many within the movement have not moved beyond Acts 2:38 and Knowing the book.

He went as far to exhort the listeners that many in the movement don't really KNOW GOD.

One interesting quote from the message and I paraphrase is .....

"You are married to doctrine and have divorced youself from Deity."

What say ye of this message? I will post audio of the message later.

Have some made Acts 2:38 and standards THE MESSAGE ... while Jesus is sitting on the outside looking in????

Just asking a question ....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
In a captivating message at the 2007 BOTT, Jeff Arnold, a solid PAJCer, and a favorite preacher of mine, remarked that many within the movement have not moved beyond Acts 2:38 and Knowing the book.

He went as far to exhort the listeners that many in the movement don't really KNOW GOD.

One interesting quote from the message and I paraphrase is .....

"You are married to doctrine and have divorced youself from Deity."

What say ye of this message? I will post audio of the message later.

Have some made Acts 2:38 and standards THE MESSAGE ... while Jesus is sitting on the outside looking in????

Just asking a question ....
That is important questions, and something I have been thinking along the same lines recently.

Whether we know God or not, doesn't negate the importance or validity of the message though!

JMHO Though.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 AM

Can "having truth" become a graven image ... by which God and all others are measured?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 AM

Your methodology is clear here:

1. A de-emphasis on what the Word says.
2. A disdain for what the Word says.
3. An emphasis on new "revelation" over what the Word says.

There is no way in hades Jeff Arnold meant that as a slam against people who believe Acts 2:38.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Your methodology is clear here:

1. A de-emphasis on what the Word says.
2. A disdain for what the Word says.
3. An emphasis on new "revelation" over what the Word says.

There is no way in hades Jeff Arnold meant that as a slam against people who believe Acts 2:38.
PP .... your accusations are false ... I am simply highlighting how some are presenting the God-breathed inerrant and holy Acts 2:38 message.

If you don't like what you read ... don't accept it ... but to accuse me of somehow disdaining the Word or having some type of new revelation that know one else has ... is a weak attempt to marginalize what is happening in the Oneness movement and its PCI history ... which is still trying to be SANITIZED apparently.

I expect an apology.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
PP .... your accusations are false ... I am simply highlighting how some are presenting the God-breathed inerrant and holy Acts 2:38 message.

If you don't like what you read ... don't accept it ... but to accuse me of somehow disdaining the Word or having some type of new revelation that know one else has ... is a weak attempt to marginalize what is happening in the Oneness movement and its PCI history ... which is still trying to be SANITIZED.

I expect an apology.
I'm horribly sorry, Daniel.

Why continue to attack those you say you agree with? The spirit of your post is that we elevate Acts 2:38 above God. That is wrong, and insidious. You are not-so-subtly accusing us of idol worship. The reason we love Acts 2:38 so much is because it tells us how to get right with God.

What's wrong with loving that message?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM

Your methodology is even clearer ... PP.

I have simply posed questions in this thread ...

and you make divisive assertions ... what gives, Bro????

Quote:
Then Peter suggested unto them, repent -although it is completely unnecessary, be baptized however you want to - in order to keep an out-dated tradition alive, and eventually God may baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

A powerless message from a powerless church.
You're sounding like them.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Hello AFF!

Quote:

If you don't like what you read ... don't accept it ... but to accuse me of somehow disdaining the Word or having some type of new revelation that know one else has ... is a weak attempt to marginalize what is happening in the Oneness movement and its PCI history ... which is still trying to be SANITIZED.

I expect an apology.
Very interesting what Jeff Arnold said.
To apply such strong holds on standards and manuals will cause the man of God to tune out the voice of God.:
Traditions and those that govern such and the "don't touch my rules" attitudes, will cause the man of God to loose sight of God.
Man has built the gaurd rails so far away from the edge of the cliff, that it is hard to find the path. The narrow path has become a razors edge.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

You see this is what always happens when you get into this "us against you" mentality. It's really just too bad.

Just preach what the apostles did. Put the emphasis where they did. You'll get the same results!

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

This accusation would have applied to Peter, I guess, and his compatriots in Jerusalem.

Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.

Quote:
Act 5:27 And when they had brought them, they set [them] before the council: and the high priest asked them,

Act 5:28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
There are three things the devil hates; the Doctrine, the Name, and the Blood.

These were the things that infuriated the high priest and his minions.

I am reading posts from folks who want to de-emphasize the doctrine, explain why the Name isn't necessary, and confuse the message of the Blood.

This is an old and time honored strategy.

Congratulations.