Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Nursery > The Grandparents Guild
Facebook

Notices

The Grandparents Guild A Gathering Place for the Grandparents of AFF

Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Not riding the train

Re: PO's Best Christmas Present EVER!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdued View Post
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awww, thanks, PO!
You're welcome!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
P.O. - My heart went out to you while reading your tale of the shower. I'm thinking by your description that the MIL is probably intimidated by your talent and obvious ability to afford this beautiful shower for your daughter. Some people never learned the lesson to be quiet in that situation. They think they are building themselves up by tearing someone else and their efforts down. Does she live in the same town you do? I take it she doesn't attend your church.
Thanks, Sweet Pea. I'm still a little confused over it. She used to have a floral shop and her DIL is a wedding planner. It's not like they don't have talent.

No, none of us live in the same towns. My daughter, the MIL, and myself all live in separate towns. I live further away from my daughter than the MIL.

It wasn't really that over the top, IMO. We used paper plates and cups. LOL! I think she had a bee in her bonnet because I organized it, at the beginning, without consulting her. That's all I think it was about.

Quote:
Yes, now that a grandbaby is involved, you will find that your paths will cross more often. I call people like this my "sandpaper" people. God is using them to smooth out my rough edges.
Yes, sandpaper for sure. But, really, she is not a mean person. She is really nice. She just has this way of saying things in a laughing way when you know that she means it. LOL!

She said to me (laughing), "You didn't need to go to all of this trouble today."

I said, "But it's fun, Liz."

She didn't say anything after that. LOL!

Quote:
I'm sure that you were a class act and handled yourself very well!
I don't think she knew that I was irritated. I'm just dreading what is in store for us as a family with this baby. My main concern is not to hurt my SIL by being at odds with his mother. I'll have to be careful to bite my tongue when my daughter is telling me the next things she says, involving the baby!

Quote:
The food looks absolutely delicious and it is obvious that your plan for decor was beautiful. Don't worry about the tablecloths - after people starting coming in and sitting down, it wasn't noticeable.
Well, thanks, Sweet Pea. The swags and the wrinkled tablecloths spoiled everything, so I didn't think anything looked nice. That's just me. It's like when your hair won't fix, it doesn't matter what you have on, you feel ugly. LOL!

You are right. You couldn't tell after everyone was seated. We started about 20 minutes late because a lot of guests were finishing up graduation festivities and out-of-town guests.

Anyway, my sister called me today to tell me that they had a great time and that our oldest sister said she had a great time. That means it went well, because she's always on her way to the next golf tournament. LOL! Before the party started she said, "I can't stay late. I have a tournament in the morning." LOL! She ended up staying three hours after the shower, so she was having a good time.

I have to tell you this funny story about her golf experiences. She and her husband were going to fly out to California for some golf thing about six months ago. A few days before the flight, they were riding bicycles. She hit a rock, flew off and broke her wrist! LOL! They went anyway, but she didn't get to play golf. Bummer! LOL!

Last edited by Pressing-On; 06-07-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

I think it is funny that she told you that you didn't have to go to all that trouble..... as if you were doing it for HER....

No, it certainly wasn't "over the top", if you used paper plates and napkins. And there is nothing wrong with that!

So glad that your sister was enjoying herself so much that she stayed to visit! Love it! She must REALLY be a golf fanatic if she's willing to fly to CA just to watch a golf tournament right after she broke her wrist.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
I think it is funny that she told you that you didn't have to go to all that trouble..... as if you were doing it for HER....
I'm still just thinking she was offended that I organized it. At the outset she told my daughter that it is not proper for a grandmother to host a baby shower for her daughter. I went on-line to read opinions on a bridal/baby shower forum that discussed that very issue. There were, at least, six grandmothers saying that they were hosting the shower because they would not expect anyone else to put the money into the shower that they would. So, I thought, "Yeppers! I agree! I'm going to host it!". LOL!

And I just want/need to say one more time (LOL) - I can't believe someone that had a floral shop and someone that is a wedding planner would do such a shoddy job on a table swag. I just can't get over it!!! LOL! I was thinking, this morning, that I should have gone up there, fitted the thing myself and had it ready to assemble. I could just kick myself!!

The thing is, my daughter choose her colors by picking out the paper plates she wanted to use. That made it a little more formal than I wanted for a baby shower, so I was trying to use the ribbon and tulle to soften the edges. It didn't give the effect I wanted, so I'm still disappointed.

I didn't mind purchasing the 11 dozens roses because I wanted to use them to decorate with this Christmas. So, I actually had a plan of my own going.

Quote:
No, it certainly wasn't "over the top", if you used paper plates and napkins. And there is nothing wrong with that!
LOL! Well, I did have crystal dishes out, so the paper plates were casual. I actually wanted to put them on the tables, at the outset, with the gift box filled with mints on them. But, we started out with games and they would have been in the way. We had gold-leafed crowns on the tables, which the camera didn't pick up.

Quote:
So glad that your sister was enjoying herself so much that she stayed to visit! Love it! She must REALLY be a golf fanatic if she's willing to fly to CA just to watch a golf tournament right after she broke her wrist.
She is very fanatical about golf. I used to caddy for her in High School. Every time our family gets together, my sister and two BILs cut out and go play golf. Everyone gets so annoyed, but I thought that was part of getting together. I don't care if they leave and play golf. LOL!

Okay, I think my therapy session is over. Thanks for letting me discuss it. I better stop now, because I feel like I am reversing and starting to get mad at her. Don't want to do that! LOL!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Not riding the train

LOL! I forgot about this gift a friend gave my daughter. Just the thing for a boy!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:53 AM
of 9!! :)

LOL!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
LOL! I forgot about this gift a friend gave my daughter. Just the thing for a boy!

Too cute!

My DIL received the new "jeans" Pampers! They are really cute.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Too cute!

My DIL received the new "jeans" Pampers! They are really cute.
Someone was telling me about the "jeans" Pampers. I haven't seen them yet. Cute!

Getting the changing table tomorrow and the bedding arrived today! Fun, Fun!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Not riding the train

Okay, we are ready for the baby! Everything is purchased and in it's place. She exchanged all the duplicate presents and got back a $350 gift card. Save that for diapers, etc.! She didn't put the bumper pads on the bed, from the set, because she thinks it's dangerous. She did get the breathable bumper pads.

This was her husband's dresser when he was a little boy - too cute that they are going to use it for his little boy!

Putting the baby next to their bed at the beginning, of course. Do not look at the half-naked man above the bed!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Cute, cute. And I love the dresser!