Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: The 'Saved Backslider' Blog

I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
1 Corinthians:5:9

Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
1 Corinthians:5:10

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
1 Corinthians:5:11

Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
2 Thessalonians:3:6

And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
2 Thessalonians:3:14

Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
2 Thessalonians:3:15

So how do we obey these verses, then?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud View Post
Absolutely this, my brother. In my own life, I have made it a point to not focus on what the offender has done wrong, but rather where we go from here. It is quite rare to find one who doesn't already know they are in the wrong, so pointing it out can only serve to put them on the defensive. As long as they aren't asking me to condone what they are doing, I try to be as friendly and available as possible.
When they are with me they know full well what I stand for, and discussion always ends up on Christ. Shunning them is what they expect, and for me to do that to someone they got to be totally blown up.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:53 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

Serious question, how do we put these instructions into practice? We are supposed to do this, right? So how do we do it?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-13-2019, 11:00 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Serious question, how do we put these instructions into practice? We are supposed to do this, right? So how do we do it?
All summed up in 2 Thessalonians:3:15. 1 Corinthians:5:10-11 are people who are totally blown out, they aren't going to hang out with you or I. People who seek me out still call me brother, the crew in 1 Corinthians:5:10-11 are done, as the dinner dishes.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
There was a young woman who was raised in church and had lots of friends on Facebook. She backslid and posted pics of herself and friends having drinks and posting other things that were unacceptable.

Prior Pastor had to comment from pulpit "when people make posts depicting their backslid lifestyle, don't like their posts on Facebook please."

We are living in an environment where nothing is private and people don't know how to deal with it. Worldly lifestyles are flaunted without shame.

So to answer the question, to start off with, don't like their posts on Facebook.

Last edited by Amanah; 09-13-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
There was a young woman who was raised in church and had lots of friends on Facebook. She backslid and posted pics of herself and friends having drinks and posting other things that were unacceptable.

Prior Pastor had to comment from pulpit "when people make posts depicting their backslid lifestyle, don't like their posts on Facebook please."

We are living in an environment where nothing is private and people don't know how to deal with it. Worldly lifestyles are flaunted without shame.

So to answer the question, to start off with, don't like their posts on Facebook.
Young people are a totally different subject. It isn't like me backsliding and blowing off Truth. Young people "teenagers" are "different." You got some mature ones, who totally understand what is going on in church. Then you have posers who had never caught on to what is going on, and take that into adulthood. Young people who have never known anything outside our movement, and then get to a place where they are out and about on their own, outside of the authority of the father's house. Can either go in either direction. I don't ever place them on the pay no mind list, no matter how blown out they get. I will always be there to be able to be available.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:35 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Young people are a totally different subject. It isn't like me backsliding and blowing off Truth. Young people "teenagers" are "different." You got some mature ones, who totally understand what is going on in church. Then you have posers who had never caught on to what is going on, and take that into adulthood. Young people who have never known anything outside our movement, and then get to a place where they are out and about on their own, outside of the authority of the father's house. Can either go in either direction. I don't ever place them on the pay no mind list, no matter how blown out they get. I will always be there to be able to be available.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

These texts seem pretty clear to me. If someone is a "brother", and living consistently in the works of the flesh without repentance, avoid them. Let separation work the cure. Be available to restore the erring when they are penitent. In other words, don't burn the bridge. Still yet, withdraw and avoid. Don't keep company with those that are considered "brethren" but living in unrepented sin. They show up for Sunday service and bring their "live-in" with them, be kind, shake their hand and be civil, but don't go eat with them after service. Don't seek them out during the week. Let the Word preached and the separation they feel from the body work the cure in them. Also, be the first to meet them at the altar when godly sorrow produces repentance. When you try to make them feel like they are a part of the church, they presume they have no need for godly sorrow.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Certainly I Corinthians 5:9-11 and Galatians 6:1 are not at odds with each other. A balance of the two SHOULD produce an atmosphere of restoration for those who truly desire to be restored. Also, an atmosphere that will not be tolerable to those who want to be coddled in their sin.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
These texts seem pretty clear to me. If someone is a "brother", and living consistently in the works of the flesh without repentance, avoid them. Let separation work the cure. Be available to restore the erring when they are penitent. In other words, don't burn the bridge. Still yet, withdraw and avoid. Don't keep company with those that are considered "brethren" but living in unrepented sin. They show up for Sunday service and bring their "live-in" with them, be kind, shake their hand and be civil, but don't go eat with them after service. Don't seek them out during the week. Let the Word preached and the separation they feel from the body work the cure in them. Also, be the first to meet them at the altar when godly sorrow produces repentance. When you try to make them feel like they are a part of the church, they presume they have no need for godly sorrow.
Sounds like good practical advice.

So, where is the line drawn between "unrepent consistent works of the flesh" and "we understand some minor points differently about how to obey the Scripture"?