Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Re: When the RSV became ANATHEMA: Useless UPCI tri

yet we love the kjv, which historically was a combination translation, or one man called it a transliteration, not a literal translation, i can still remember hearing countries preachers saying "if it was good enough for Peter and Paul, it is good enough for me,", i laugh,dt
Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
Many more than simply the UPC dislike the Reviled Substandard Perversion.
I used to have (maybe still have) a book by Peter Ruckman in which he reviled anything but the KJV. He is certainly not Pentecostal.

I remember when I was out delivering some VHS tapes a few years ago to different churches in the area inviting pastors to a meeting of Transformation Cincinnati, which is a cross-denominational organization promoting unity and cooperation among the churches in the Greater Cincinnati area. One of the churches I had on my list was a Baptist Church. When I found it on a small back road there was nobody there so I left the tape and information in a mail box or somewhere where it would be quickly found. I noticed that on the outside of the church they had a sign that they used only the 1611 King James Version of the Bible. They probably burned the VHS tape and cursed Transformation Cincinnati and me for the invitation.

If I remember correctly, the first issue of the KJV back in 1611 had a typo where the word "not" was left out of the commandment that said, "thou shalt not commit adultery." The KJV only people probably don't use that earliest edition.

I have a reproduction of a 16ll KJV. Here is how John 3:16 reads:
"For God so loued ye world, that he gaue his only begotten Sonne: that whosoeuer beleeueth in him should not perish, but haue everlasting life."
I like the KJV but I prefer the ones with the more modern spelling. Also, the old 1611 version does not use the letter "J" because it was not in common use yet at that time in the English language. And, it uses "u" some times for "v" and some words were spelled differently back then like "Sonne" for "Son" and "lyon" for "lion" and "Actes"for "Acts." Some times instead of an "s" it uses something that looks like "f".

Another thing included in my 1611 KJV has that the strict fundamentalists would not like is the Apocrypha. And at Hebrews 11:35 where it speaks of others who "were tortured, not accepting deliuerance, that they might obtaine a better resurrection" it has a cross reference to 2 Maccabees 7:7 where that story is told. 2 Maccabees is included (along with some other Apocryphal books) and in chapter 7 it tells about a woman and her 7 sons who were tortured and killed because they would not eat "swines flesh." One by one each son was offered the chance to eat the meat and when he refused he was tortured to death in front of his mother and remaining brothers and finally the mother was killed last. It is reported of the second son: "So when the first was dead, after this maner, they brought the second to make him a mocking stocke: and when they had pulled off the skin of his head with the haire, they asked him, Wilt thou eate before thou bee punished throughout euery member of thy body? But hee answered in his owne language, and said, No. Wherefore hee also receiued the next torment in order as the former did. And when hee was at the last gaspe, hee said, Thou like a fury takest vs out of this present life, but the king of the shall raise vs vp, who haue died for his lawes, vnto euerlasting life. After him was the third made a mocking stocke, and when he was required, he put out his tongue, and that right soone, holding forth his hands manfully, And he said couragiously, These I had from heauen, and for his lawes I despise them, and from him I hope to receiue them againe.

That may be difficult to read with the extra "e"s on the ends of some words and the "u" and "v" not consistent. With the first son they had cut out his tongue and cut off his hands. That's why the third one stuck out his tongue and extended his hands. He gave them a testimony of how he would receive a new tongue and hands at the resurrection.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Registered Member

I don't dislike all versions outside of KJV. Personally I prefer the KJV, but that's because I like the language and I do feel it carries the spirit and meaning of the verses just fine. I do use other versions as illustrations and to give further explanation of verses.

There are just some versions I do not like at all. I'm not a fan of RSV and I really dislike the NIV.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 AM
*sigh*

My bible was good enough for King James, and it's good enough fer me bless gawd.

Actually I do like a couple of other version, but the RSV and NIV aren't among them.

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the World
It's all over, fat lady done sang...
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Atkinson View Post
My bible was good enough for King James, and it's good enough fer me bless gawd.

Actually I do like a couple of other version, but the RSV and NIV aren't among them.
Well ... considerin' the nature of some of his extramarital liasons ... he shoulda done some mo' readin'.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

Why care what the UPCI's position is on such matters? And what is UPCI compared to the Kingdom of God? The system is what it is. You cannot put new wine in old wine skins.
Revelation 18:4
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
The only thing more "worldly" than Hollywood is Religion.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

I love the stand that the translators of the KJV are considered to be Holy Ghost inspired men of God...they WERE (and I beleive that) but keep in mind who they were....

Historical fact (they worked for King James in England) tells us that they were Trintarian baptized men of a Catholic/Anglican background. Many OP would say that made them UNSAVED and NOT CAPABLE of having the Holy Ghost. How could they be the translators of the ONLY bible the correctly reflects God's word??

I dont beleive this, but this logic always eluded me, and I've never gotten a good answer to it.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding of bible translation among many (most?) people. I love hearing people say that the later translations "took thing out" of the KJV, or "changed" the KJV. Translators of a bible version DON'T LOOK at an older English version to decide what to keep and remove, they translate the original text (in Hebrew and Greek) using what they consider to be the most reliable ancient manuscripts available, and they compare as many different manuscripts as they can find.

A bible that simply "rephrases" an English version is a paraphrase. These can be useful in understanding ideas, but don"t claim to be textually accurate translations. "The Message" is a paraphrase and is useful for some things, but doesn't claim to be word for word. I have heard my pastor many time refer to the KJV, RSV, NIV, and "The Message" all as translations

Last edited by snicker1986; 02-23-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAII View Post
Well ... considerin' the nature of some of his extramarital liasons ... he shoulda done some mo' readin'.
Maybe he had trouble with all the "thee's and thou's"...

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the World
It's all over, fat lady done sang...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Go Dodgers!

Does someone have to be saved to be inspired of the Holy Ghost?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Does someone have to be saved to be inspired of the Holy Ghost?
Most OP seem to think so. I beleive the Holy Ghost can (and does) prick us and lead us to him and to salvation. It's hard to imagine that the HG would inspire someone so throroughly as to consume years of their life trying accurately pass the Word on (as the ONLY source of the Word) for the next 500 years, and yet that person NOT be infilled of the Holy Ghost, and NOT be saved.

According to revisionist history touted by some, there have been thousands of oneness people throughout the last 2000 years who jsut didnt leave a record. If these people were the only one who for 1700 years HAD the Holy Ghost and salvation, why would God use bound for hell Catholics??

Doesnt make sense to me