Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Re: Apostoic worship??

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Nowhere have I seen or heard of someone actually swinging from a ceiling fan as you mentioned. You mentioned three things in the OP: run, dance and swing from the ceiling fan. Only two of those actually happen in churches - running and dancing. Both are scriptural from both Old and New Testament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MawMaw View Post
I think he was using a figure of speech guys.

Not that we need to be reminded, but there are plenty outside of Pentecost who have the same questions he has with some of the things that happen in our church services.

One thing that gets me is the phenomenon when a lot of people are speaking in tongues at the same time as they praise and worship the Lord. I am just unsure how to present scripture that justifies this action to those who criticize Pentecostals from the outside.

Even more problematic for me is when the preacher or whoever happens to be holding the mic speaks in tongues right into the mic as either a way to praise and worship the Lord and to bring strong emphasis to something that is said or happening in that moment.

Admittedly, I am the last person that wants to be a part of a dead church-- where the Gifts of the Spirit are not manifested, where people are not praising and worshipping the Lord in a Biblically demonstrative manner.

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 07-31-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBandy View Post
Yea I worship! Worship is a lifestyle, not a dance you do on Sunday night because you feel good or the music is right.
You described worship as prostration, falling prone before God. I asked if that is what you do in church and you indicated it is NOT what you do.

So, just to be clear, when you go to church, do you fall prone on your face for the duration of the worship portion? Or whenever a call to worship is given?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
You described worship as prostration, falling prone before God. I asked if that is what you do in church and you indicated it is NOT what you do.

So, just to be clear, when you go to church, do you fall prone on your face for the duration of the worship portion? Or whenever a call to worship is given?
For clarity please read my comment about Exodus 34. And more on my thread topic, please show me an example of the apostles running, jumping, dancing etc etc
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Do you think there is something wrong when a person is not "in the Spirit" but are running, leaping, twirling out sheer, fleshly excitement over what the Lord can do in that moment or what He is about to do very soon?

Does a person have to be, "in the Spirit" for any of our praise and worship to be legitimate in the sight of God?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
I believe in demonstrative worship. Running the aisles, dancing, jumping, shouting, rolling on the floor...everything that has been predominate in Apostolic circles.

HOWEVER!

Many in Pentecostal circles have made an idol out of music and have become "worshippers of the beat" rather than worshippers of God. In my humble opinion, we should be spending more time on our faces in deep travailing prayer than we should blasting loud music through the sanctuary. I would love to see a shift in Pentecost where prayer and preaching take the front seat and music takes a back seat. I believe this is the Apostolic pattern.
This is right on. I witnessed a few apostolic mosh pits at youth conventions to the loud growl of vocals, drums and bass.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBandy View Post
For clarity please read my comment about Exodus 34. And more on my thread topic, please show me an example of the apostles running, jumping, dancing etc etc
Your comment provides no data on what YOU do for "worship". Are you saying you do what Moses did, in response to a call to worship?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I think he was using a figure of speech guys.

Not that we need to be reminded, but there are plenty outside of Pentecost who have the same questions he has with some of the things that happen in our church services.

One thing that gets me is the phenomenon when a lot of people are speaking in tongues at the same time as they praise and worship the Lord. I am just unsure as to present scripture that justifies this action to those who criticize Pentecostals from the outside.

Even more problematic for me is when the preacher or whoever happens to be holding the mic speaks in tongues right into the mic as either a way to praise and worship the Lord and to bring strong emphasis to something that is said or happening in that moment.

Admittedly, I am the last person that wants to be a part of a dead church-- where the Gifts of the Spirit are not manifested, where people are not praising and worshipping the Lord in a Biblically demonstrative manner.
This reflects back on a lot of years with me as well. Good point.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
If you think typical UPC services are "wild" then I can only say you need to get out more often.
Do you have video of your wild meetings? I would like to see.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Do you have video of your wild meetings? I would like to see.
No video, sorry. Only audio.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Your comment provides no data on what YOU do for "worship". Are you saying you do what Moses did, in response to a call to worship?
Yes.