Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Water Baptism.....Just What Is It For?

Would like to see what some of you theologians think water baptism represents. ALL you other folks can answer as well.

I have always understood water baptism in the simplest terms I could find. It is a burial. Jesus after dying, was buried. We, after dying at repentance, bury the old sinful man. We are buried with Christ by faith, and are to resurrect with him to new life (Holy Ghost baptism).
Old 02-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

It is a waste of time a religious ritual that does absolutely NOTHING for the soul of man. No salvation in it!!! It is a work of vanity!!!!
The Quakers were right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Ronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
It is a waste of time a religious ritual that does absolutely NOTHING for the soul of man. No salvation in it!!! It is a work of vanity!!!!

If you say so...
Old 02-25-2007, 01:41 PM
samp

Why even ask this question on an apostolic forum?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samp View Post
Why even ask this question on an apostolic forum?
Because there seems to be many that have differing views as to what water baptism is done for.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:45 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
Would like to see what some of you theologians think water baptism represents. ALL you other folks can answer as well.

I have always understood water baptism in the simplest terms I could find. It is a burial. Jesus after dying, was buried. We, after dying at repentance, bury the old sinful man. We are buried with Christ by faith, and are to resurrect with him to new life (Holy Ghost baptism).
Repentence represents the Death of Christ.
Baptism the Burial.
Infilling the resurrection.

"Baptism doth now also save us"! Save from what?

Death eternal.

I know my robe of Righteousness is going to fit me, I have tried it on at the gates of Hell!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:45 PM
samp

Are there a lot of paedobaptists on this forum?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post

It represents his buriel
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

It's a spiritual circumcision (how I don't know) and putting off the body of the sings of the flesh
Col 2:11 in whom also you are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ,
Col 2:12 buried with Him in baptism, in whom also you were raised through the faith of the working of God, raising Him from the dead.

Baptism also was a form of initiation as a follower of master. The master baptized his students and they became his deciples. Thus John's disciples were baptized unto John's baptism but when they became followers of Christ they were rebaptized unto Christ's baptism

Act 19:1 And it happened in the time Apollos was at Corinth, Paul was passing through the higher parts to Ephesus. And finding certain disciples,
Act 19:2 he said to them, Have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed? And they said to him, We did not so much as hear whether the Holy Spirit is.
Act 19:3 And he said to them, Then to what were you baptized? And they said, To John's baptism.
Act 19:4 And Paul said, John truly baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe into Him coming after him, that is, into Jesus Christ.
Act 19:5 And hearing, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Except a man be born again of Water and Spirit, he can't enter the Kingdom of God.

Acts 10:46-48

For they heard them speak with tounges, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we.

And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.

This is a strong part of salvation.

Unlike the Heaven and hell issue of cutting of hair that many subscribe as being salvational.

Peter the man who had the Keys to the Kingdom.

The man who stood at the day of Pentecost. (Why we call ourselves Pentecostal).

And said, Repent and be Bapized "Everyone" of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Without remission of sins there is no capacity for Redemption.

No sin will glory in the pressence of God.

There is no salvation with out remission of sins.

1 Peter 3:21 Peter speaking once again, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us.

Romans 6:4 We are buried by baptism into death.

Into death... Hello you get into death by the key that Peter proclaimed. Baptism. The other keys being Repentance and the infilling.

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
See having faith in God or the sinners prayer..(Find that in Scripture) is not the faith alone by which we are saved.

It is faith in "The operation of God" Operation being Effectual Working.

The working of God being as discribed in Colosians 2:12 and Romans 6:4.

You need to be dead to Sin (Baptism) and have faith in the operation of God, who hath raised (Infilling) him from the dead (Baptism).

Being raised from the dead by the quickening of the Holy Spirit.

Baptism is essential to the new birth experience....Period..

Nathan Eckstadt
Old 02-25-2007, 02:35 PM
hammondb3klingon1

I agree with Pastor Epley. Non essential . I am sitting here in the church waiting on the spirit. Quakers rock!!