Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
My salvation is based on my repentance, baptism in Jesus name, and the infilling of the precious spirit of God. My uncut hair is only obedience to the authority over me when applicable.

Blessings, Rhoni

P.S. I have scripture for the obedience...but you know that one don't you?
I do agree with you Sis. Rhoni. I quoted your statement but wasn't directing my comment at you.

I don't believe the Holy Hair thing myself. My whole point was about the passage in Corin. from which this debate is derived. And I still maintain that the opposing side has not a scriptured come back.

bless ya right back

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Hello AFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouvere View Post
Anytime anyone is doing something special just for God he honors it.
The hair is a hassle hey but if the heart is right and its done for a dedication
to Gods word.Long hair is a sacrifice on the part of a woman.That sacrifice given to God is what brings annointing into the womans life.Its not the power of the hair but the power of committment.Big difference.A person may have long hair and never have cut it but not have the Holy Ghost and the hair will not take her to heaven.Its a result of a life given over.A result of a sacrifice given to God in the depths of prayer and consecration.I don't doubt the presence of God filled the room if this was the case.That would infact make it indeed beautiful.Its not that you don't cut your hair.Its why you don't cut it.
If you do it out of law because someone said you can't then forget the annointing.If you do it because you feel long hair pleases God and you have decided to never cut it again as a worship and dedication to Jesus then you have the right spirit.Its not just hair because hair in itself has no power.Its the dedication and consecration that goes on in the life of a Spirit Filled Woman who says,"Jesus I dedicate this area of my life to you."
Maybe that is where people are getting off teaching wierdie stuff.They have begun to teach law instead of allowing for dedication and consecration.
Great post!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Hello AFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlets View Post
I do agree with you Sis. Ronni. I quoted your statement but wasn't directing my comment at you.

I don't believe the Holy Hair thing myself. My whole point was about the passage in Corin. from which this debate is derived. And I still maintain that the opposing side has not a Scriptures come back.

bless ya right back
Emotional topic indeed.

If many of the holiness standards were viewed as consecrations; maybe there would be more respect from both sides of the fence.

Many standards are like vows or fas-tings unto Jesus and I am sure he is blessed and blesses those that do.

And kudos to those that do!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOPER View Post
Emotional topic indeed.

If many of the holiness standards were viewed as consecrations; maybe there would be more respect from both sides of the fence.

Many standards are like vows or fas-tings unto Jesus and I am sure he is blessed and blesses those that do.

And kudos to those that do!
good point cropper

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 05-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

*sigh*

While I don't believe that having uncut hair is our ticket to all-power-with-God, I do hesitate to deny someone else's experience.

What I believe is that obedience and submission to God results in power and favor with God, and of course men can do that as well as women. Unfortunately when the power of God shows up, some women assume (because of what they've been taught) that the power is there because of their long hair (which could be in indirect source, depending on what you believe, and your submission to God accordingly).

The point being: Whether the woman is wrong about a point of doctrine or not does not mean that she is wrong about the power of God being in the room. She could be misdiagnosing the reason.

I've seen God show up and heal folks and fill people with the Holy Ghost and do all sorts of wonderful things in churches where the doctrine was WAY off. *shrug* Ask Him why.

I feel very uncomfortable analyzing, critiquing, questioning or denying someone else's experience with the power of God. I'd much rather discuss this topic from a more generic point of view. There are a lot of faithful, godly, powerful, anointed women who wear their hair long simply because they believe its the right thing to do in obedience to God, and I do believe that submission and that consecration does translate into favor and blessing from God in many cases. I just don't think it has to do with hair in particular so much as a consecrated life in general, and men are just as capable as women of devoting their lives in such a manner.

I don't think we can say that because we believe the doctrine may be erroneous that the experience must be false, and her account is scary or creepy...I think that is a huge overreaction. To me, that would be like discounting every powerful experience held by any trinitarian as false, simply because their doctrine is erroneous. I believe many people, right or wrong, have had powerful, meaningful, even miraculous experiences with God, that defy reason, and defy the boundaries we place on what is possible. How the person perceives and interprets that experience is impossible to predict.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
I was in a crowd of 67,000 people that witnessed a miracle, the Music City Miracle!! Everyone was shockamooing! The Titans had beaten the Bills!
What an ending ... saw it live on TV ....made me shockamoo.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
I read this on someone's EC page.

Someone please tell me this doctrine isn't being preached all over the UPC still today.
This impacted this lady why besmirch her??? Some have traded their glory for that which has no glory just like Jeremiah said.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
My Family!

A good chocolate dessert can make me feel this way!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckstadt View Post
It is a way for some trapped ladies to feel as if they are doing the right thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in a crowd once of some 50,000 plus peole. In September 1992.

An event happened where it was exciting, and felt to me like any pressence of the Holy Ghost I have ever felt.

The problem being I was at County Stadium in Milwaukee.

Robin Yount had just collected his 3000th hit and the crowd went wild.

Not everything felt in the human experience is the power of God.

It's the excitement of the moment.....
Are you saying these folks did not know the difference in the HG and emotion felt at a ball game? And I was called a blasphemer for doubting Trinitarians?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
*sigh*

While I don't believe that having uncut hair is our ticket to all-power-with-God, I do hesitate to deny someone else's experience.

What I believe is that obedience and submission to God results in power and favor with God, and of course men can do that as well as women. Unfortunately when the power of God shows up, some women assume (because of what they've been taught) that the power is there because of their long hair (which could be in indirect source, depending on what you believe, and your submission to God accordingly).

The point being: Whether the woman is wrong about a point of doctrine or not does not mean that she is wrong about the power of God being in the room. She could be misdiagnosing the reason.

I've seen God show up and heal folks and fill people with the Holy Ghost and do all sorts of wonderful things in churches where the doctrine was WAY off. *shrug* Ask Him why.

I feel very uncomfortable analyzing, critiquing, questioning or denying someone else's experience with the power of God. I'd much rather discuss this topic from a more generic point of view. There are a lot of faithful, godly, powerful, anointed women who wear their hair long simply because they believe its the right thing to do in obedience to God, and I do believe that submission and that consecration does translate into favor and blessing from God in many cases. I just don't think it has to do with hair in particular so much as a consecrated life in general, and men are just as capable as women of devoting their lives in such a manner.

I don't think we can say that because we believe the doctrine may be erroneous that the experience must be false, and her account is scary or creepy...I think that is a huge overreaction. To me, that would be like discounting every powerful experience held by any trinitarian as false, simply because their doctrine is erroneous. I believe many people, right or wrong, have had powerful, meaningful, even miraculous experiences with God, that defy reason, and defy the boundaries we place on what is possible. How the person perceives and interprets that experience is impossible to predict.
Good post overall Abigail.

Misdiagnosing the reason indeed! The power of God could have been present but the understanding of why -- if it's being attributed to hair length is way off.

The way you believe about something can affect how you interpret what is happening around you.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Closed Thread