Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-13-2020, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

Re: Self control

One of the hallmark scriptures that was quoted in my home as I was growing up, was Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
What we deem as good or bad God has in his control and it will all work out if we just stay the course. Jesus taught his disciples not to worry over things that our out of our control. If you can not change it don't worry about it.

One of the hardest things I have found is for someone to let God have control even of the things that they cannot control themselves. Problem is it causes one to worry over things and bring on more stress in their lives that is unnecessary.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

I far from perfect but this is what I do daily:

* Pray daily to have victory that day:
Matthew 6:13
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
Psalms 119:11
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.

* Quote the scripture to myself when temptation comes:
Matthew 4:4
But He answered and said, “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ”
Joshua 1:8
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

* Be filled with the Spirit:
Ephesians 5:18-20
And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Galatians 5:16,22-23

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh....
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Does it work? Yes. Am I always without mistakes? No. Have I gotten better at staying in the ways of righteousness and holiness over time (years)? Definitely yes!!

I already did the singing and was already being filled with the Spirit during Church and group praying, and home praying, but it wasn’t enough to overcome. I was always falling back too often. Something was still missing. The two things that actually made a tremendous improvement was the morning prayer asking specifically for help to stay the course that day, and the quoting the scripture throughout the day to myself when faced with temptation.

When I do corporate and personal worship and be filled of the Spirit, and keep the scripture in my heart during the day, and pray intentionally for victory that day, I am walking in the Spirit.

You need to be honest to yourself and start memorizing scriptures that you know are going to hit you on your weakness, though.

Last edited by coksiw; 10-13-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
I far from perfect but this is what I do daily:

* Pray daily to have victory that day:
Matthew 6:13
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
Psalms 119:11
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.

* Quote the scripture to myself when temptation comes:
Matthew 4:4
But He answered and said, “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ”
Joshua 1:8
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

* Be filled with the Spirit:
Ephesians 5:18-20
And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Galatians 5:16,22-23

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh....
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Does it work? Yes. Am I always without mistakes? No. Have I gotten better at staying in the ways of righteousness and holiness over time (years)? Definitely yes!!

I already did the singing and was already being filled with the Spirit during Church and group praying, and home praying, but it wasn’t enough to overcome. I was always falling back too often. Something was still missing. The two things that actually made a tremendous improvement was the morning prayer asking specifically for help to stay the course that day, and the quoting the scripture throughout the day to myself when faced with temptation.

When I do corporate and personal worship and be filled of the Spirit, and keep the scripture in my heart during the day, and pray intentionally for victory that day, I am walking in the Spirit.

You need to be honest to yourself and start memorizing scriptures that you know are going to hit you on your weakness, though.

This is a great post

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 10-17-2020, 03:57 PM
Master ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post

I’ll think on, and pray and ask my Lord about exactly that.
Thanks.

May be related to being burnt out on commonly working long hours(11-14) every day and some Saturdays for months....I’m thinkin anyway.
You know, God made provision for that... it's called the Sabbath... Just sayin'...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 10-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
You know, God made provision for that... it's called the Sabbath... Just sayin'...
You caught that
Old 10-17-2020, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loran adkins View Post
One of the hallmark scriptures that was quoted in my home as I was growing up, was Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
What we deem as good or bad God has in his control and it will all work out if we just stay the course. Jesus taught his disciples not to worry over things that our out of our control. If you can not change it don't worry about it.

One of the hardest things I have found is for someone to let God have control even of the things that they cannot control themselves. Problem is it causes one to worry over things and bring on more stress in their lives that is unnecessary.
Excellent post.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:37 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Quote:
Old 10-18-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
You caught that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post

Do the three of you meet with your church on Saturday or Sunday?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 10-18-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:28 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Do the three of you meet with your church on Saturday or Sunday?
My church meets on Sunday.
I set apart Saturday as a day of rest, prayer, and bible study..
Yesterday my Sister and I walked through the neighborhood praying for our neighbors.

Last edited by Amanah; 10-18-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
My church meets on Sunday.
I set apart Saturday as a day of rest, prayer, and bible study..
Yesterday my Sister and I walked through the neighborhood praying for our neighbors.
Be careful not to walk too far. You’ll break the sabbath day law.

How far is a sabbath day journey?