Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-06-2022, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Should we still observe the sabbath?

I am a little rusty on the subject. I received a phone call today from someone that we must observe a Saturday sabbath. It disappointed him when I informed him that I didn’t feel that it is any longer necessary to keep any day as a Sabbath. Instead, we are to enter His rest, by the infilling of the Holy Ghost.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Re: Should we still observe the sabbath?

I think we should observe a weekly sabbath. People get divided over whether it's Saturday or Sunday being the "real" sabbath, but I personally don't ride those bandwagons. We've always observed Sunday as our sabbath, and that's the day we go to church. When I first started working out of high school, I worked at a little department store that occasionally scheduled me to work Sundays. It wasn't my preference, but I hadn't any choice at the time. I had to work to help my father with my expenses of gas, car maintenance, and my intended preparations to go back to college. I only had said job for around three months, however, and I've been working in banks ever since. The worst you might have with working in banks is being in one of the larger cities that might make you rotate Saturdays.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Harry Morse was a Sabbath keeper. I never could discover the source for this influence in his life.

I am unaware of any other early Oneness California sabbath keeper.

Theologically speaking, there is no basis for believers to obey the sabbath.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:14 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I am a little rusty on the subject. I received a phone call today from someone that we must observe a Saturday sabbath. It disappointed him when I informed him that I didn’t feel that it is any longer necessary to keep any day as a Sabbath. Instead, we are to enter His rest, by the infilling of the Holy Ghost.
When did God say "Don't obey the Fourth Commandment"? Just curious.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-07-2022, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I am not under the law to keep the Ten Commandments. We keep the Sabbath by its fulfillment of entering his rest. The Sabbath was created for us and not the other way around. Trying to make people again sinners because of their choice of which day they are off work and have church seems counterproductive to what Jesus came to do.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

For those who uphold we are still under the Ten Commandments, are we supposed to keep only the Ten Commandments or do we keep the whole Torah? It could become a slippery slope into endless statutes.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:09 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
God's Word never changes, but His principles build upon themselves. So just as Jesus said that "Thou shalt not (commit murder)" became "if you hate your brother, you've committed murder in your heart"; I truly believe that "remember the Sabbath day" has now transitioned to abiding in His rest, via the infilling of His Spirit.

That's not to say that I see anything wrong with a day of rest anyways. The principle is sound, even if I think the intent is different. However, this is why I don't care about the Saturday vs Sunday debate. It's meaningless to me, because the Sabbath is the rest we get from God, not a specific day of the week that we take off.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:44 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I am not under the law to keep the Ten Commandments.
So you can bow down to idols and take the Lord's name in vain without repercussions, then.

Quote:
We keep the Sabbath by its fulfillment of entering his rest.
Where did God ever say that? Where does the Bible say "You obey the Fourth Commandment by "entering his rest"?

Also, if you aren't obligated to obey any of the 10 Commandments, then why do you "keep the Sabbath" (by "entering his rest") to begin with?

Quote:
The Sabbath was created for us and not the other way around.
So that means we can ignore it? The woman was made for the man so the man can ignore the woman and be a sodomite? The fact the Sabbath was made for man means there isn't (and thus never was) any actual obligation to obey God's commandment regarding it? This makes no sense.

Quote:
Trying to make people again sinners because of their choice of which day they are off work and have church seems counterproductive to what Jesus came to do.
Pointing out sin and calling for repentance is "trying to make people sinners" and "counterproductive to what Jesus came to do"? What strange religion is this?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Last edited by Esaias; 07-07-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:46 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
However, this is why I don't care about the Saturday vs Sunday debate. It's meaningless to me, because the Sabbath is the rest we get from God, not a specific day of the week that we take off.
Exodus 20:10 KJV
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

According to the Bible, what is the Sabbath? (Ans. It is "the seventh day".)

Old 07-07-2022, 09:59 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

What is sin?

1 John 3:4 KJV
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Should Christians transgress the law of God?

Romans 6:1-2 KJV
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? [2] God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Does being "under grace" and not "under law" mean Christians can transgress God's law with impunity?

Romans 6:15-16 KJV
What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. [16] Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Does the new covenant cause people to forget about the commandments of God?

Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV
For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: [9] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. [10] For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

How does one know if they truly have a saving relationship with Jesus Christ?

1 John 2:1-5 KJV
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: [2] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. [3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. [5] But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.