Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:48 PM
It's not easy being me.

Combatting Church Gossip

Mildred, the church gossip, and self-appointed monitor of the church's morals, kept sticking her nose in to other people's business. Several members did not approve of her extra curricular activities, but feared her enough to maintain their silence.

She made a mistake, however, when she accused Frank, a new member, of being an alcoholic after she saw his old pickup parked in front of the town's only bar one afternoon. She emphatically told Frank (and several others) that everyone seeing it there would know what he was doing.

Frank, a man of few words, stared at her for a moment and just turned and walked away. He didn't explain, defend, or deny... he said nothing.

Later that evening, Frank quietly parked his pickup in front of Mildred's house...walked home...and left it there all night!!!

You gotta love Frank!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseeads View Post
Mildred, the church gossip, and self-appointed monitor of the church's morals, kept sticking her nose in to other people's business. Several members did not approve of her extra curricular activities, but feared her enough to maintain their silence.

She made a mistake, however, when she accused Frank, a new member, of being an alcoholic after she saw his old pickup parked in front of the town's only bar one afternoon. She emphatically told Frank (and several others) that everyone seeing it there would know what he was doing.

Frank, a man of few words, stared at her for a moment and just turned and walked away. He didn't explain, defend, or deny... he said nothing.

Later that evening, Frank quietly parked his pickup in front of Mildred's house...walked home...and left it there all night!!!

You gotta love Frank!
Ya gotta love Frank is right!!

And there you have it...the sin of assumption....

We may think we know, when if truth be told, we do not.

We may think we have all the facts, when if pressed for details, we find we do not.

Appearances can be quite deceiving...the way it appears to be may not be what it is at all...need we ask 'Mildred'?!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Don't ask.

I was sitting at my desk at the church office, doing the bookkeeping, and talking with a friend sitting on the other side. Let's call her "Mildred". Somehow the topic of gossip came up, and Mildred said, "yeah, it can be a real problem for some people. [slight pause] Do you have a problem with gossip?"

In a flash of inspiration, I lowered my voice, leaned forward, and said "No, but do you know who does?" She took that bait. She leaned forward, eyes wide open, and said, "No, who?"
Old 06-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:

You gotta love Frank!
Hey Seth! This is great! Definitely a *copy and paste*.

When I read it I couldn't help but think how that it sounds exactly like something Maple Leaf would write -- or post.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 06-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
I was sitting at my desk at the church office, doing the bookkeeping, and talking with a friend sitting on the other side. Let's call her "Mildred". Somehow the topic of gossip came up, and Mildred said, "yeah, it can be a real problem for some people. [slight pause] Do you have a problem with gossip?"

In a flash of inspiration, I lowered my voice, leaned forward, and said "No, but do you know who does?" She took that bait. She leaned forward, eyes wide open, and said, "No, who?"
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 06-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post

Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:

You gotta love Frank!
This is good!

How about this one:

There were three ministers of different faiths who grew up together and were very good friends, who lived in a very small town. One minister was a Lutheran, the other a Baptist, the other an Apostolic. They were camping and decided to "open up" about things concerning themselves and a weakness that they had. The Lutheran said that he had a problem with drinking an excessive amount of the sacrement wine. The other two ministers pondered on that for a moment, then the Baptist stated that he had a problem with taking extra money from the church account. The Apostolic preacher just set there, for what seemed to be twenty or so minutes, swaying back and forth thinking intently on what he should share with the others. Finally, the baptist preacher spoke up and said, "well, we've been waiting, what confession do you have?"To which, the Apostolic preacher said " Well, I have this little problem with gossip, and I can't wait to get back home and share this interesting news"
Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
This is good!

How about this one:

There were three ministers of different faiths who grew up together and were very good friends, who lived in a very small town. One minister was a Lutheran, the other a Baptist, the other an Apostolic. They were camping and decided to "open up" about things concerning themselves and a weakness that they had. The Lutheran said that he had a problem with drinking an excessive amount of the sacrement wine. The other two ministers pondered on that for a moment, then the Baptist stated that he had a problem with taking extra money from the church account. The Apostolic preacher just set there, for what seemed to be twenty or so minutes, swaying back and forth thinking intently on what he should share with the others. Finally, the baptist preacher spoke up and said, "well, we've been waiting, what confession do you have?"To which, the Apostolic preacher said " Well, I have this little problem with gossip, and I can't wait to get back home and share this interesting news"
*bump* Come on guys, I spent time typing this out, at least comment on it.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
*bump* Come on guys, I spent time typing this out, at least comment on it.
It is obvious that you are centered on self!!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
It is obvious that you are centered on self!!
LOL! No I'm not!!! I was just wondering if I wasn't the only one that thought my joke was funny.