Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

***NAYC Young Minister's Session***

From the 90&9 Article found HERE

Quote:
More from the young minister’s session…. “The Apostolic Advantage” with Stan Gleason

“When you cast in your lot in this Apostolic lifestyle, all of Heaven will back you.”

[He told a strange story about a dog that was really an alligator… I didn’t get that one…]

Bro. Gleeson retold of a sermon by Bro. Stanley Chambers called “Will the Church Withstand the Onslaught of History”. Bro. Chambers preached the message 40 years ago… In it he said that no religious organization has lasted 60 years with out changing doctrine, losing passion, or lessening standards.

Bro. Gleeson said we are now at the 60 year mark. Our decisions will impact the future of the Apostolic movement.

“TF Tenny is a national treasure – not a museum piece – but a living breathing Apostolic mentor. We need to hang on to every word our elders say and realize how precious they are.”

“Until you learn to respect elders you will never be respected. The only way to get over the things that God wants you to be over is when you get under what God wants you to get under.”

“In the next ten years we will bury the TF Tenny Generation – the generation that I consider to be the second generation of the UPCI…. Elders are alarmed because the young generation isn’t stepping up to cast their lot with the organization…. TW Barnes said the next great revival will is in a revelation of the Mighty God in Christ. It’s a bad time to back up from the Truth.”

“We don’t build our churches on marketing or ads, we build them on conviction!”
Someone asked if a minister would make a public statement on Res. 4 during NAYC. I think SG did here . . . though I wasn't there and am relying only on this blog. If my observations, based on the blog, are wrong, so be it.

Note this session was for young ministers . . . which could include young voting ministers.

Quote:
Bro. Gleeson retold of a sermon by Bro. Stanley Chambers called “Will the Church Withstand the Onslaught of History”. Bro. Chambers preached the message 40 years ago… In it he said that no religious organization has lasted 60 years with out changing doctrine, losing passion, or lessening standards.
Quote:
Bro. Gleeson said we are now at the 60 year mark. Our decisions will impact the future of the Apostolic movement.
Quote:
“In the next ten years we will bury the TF Tenny Generation – the generation that I consider to be the second generation of the UPCI…. Elders are alarmed because the young generation isn’t stepping up to cast their lot with the organization…. TW Barnes said the next great revival will is in a revelation of the Mighty God in Christ. It’s a bad time to back up from the Truth.
So much stuff in these statements . . .

Quote:
In it he said that no religious organization has lasted 60 years with out changing doctrine, losing passion, or lessening standards.
In other words . . . don't change anything! If you allow Res. 4 or other things, it means you are either changing doctrine or lessening standards - and to do that means you will become like the other religious organizations.

Quote:
It's a true statement. Though it's always been a true statement. Decisions and actions always impact the future. So why the emphasis on the 60-year mark unless to intimidate and strike fear into the young ministers who want change. It's like saying, "those who are wanting to change things, the whole movement will live or die based on your decisions."
Quote:
“In the next ten years we will bury the TF Tenny Generation – the generation that I consider to be the second generation of the UPCI…. Elders are alarmed because the young generation isn’t stepping up to cast their lot with the organization….
Is HQ in panic mode because of the seeming lack of interest in young ministers getting licensed with the UPC? With due respect to SG . . . the reason is because the young generation is becoming dissatisfied with the politics and outright refusal to make needed changes in the church.

I say the last statement is untrue . . . it's not that the Elders are alarmed because no one's stepping up. The young generation IS stepping up and casting lots - just as the older generation has.

No, the reason the Elders are alarmed is because their vise-grip hold is loosening. The younger generation isn't satisfied with things the way they've been.

They just don't want the politics.

They want HQ to stay in StL and out of the local church business.

They want to be able to reach out to their friends in various ways without being labeled liberal or charasmatic.

They're tired of being a part of a stale organization whose only real change in the past 15 years was to kick out anyone who didn't adhere to a specific set of rules.

Quote:
It’s a bad time to back up from the Truth.
Another subtle hint to keep things the same and not rock the boat.

Here's my favorite quote . . . nothing subtle about this one at all!

Quote:
“We don’t build our churches on marketing or ads, we build them on conviction!”
In other words . . . Res. 4. That was a loud and clear note to pro-ad young ministers in attendance that standards, not ads, are what builds churches.

Very interesting . . .
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Pride of the Neighborhood

I know Stan Gleason, just talked to him today at a coffee shop and I would be very surprised if he is not for the passage of Res. 4.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
I know Stan Gleason, just talked to him today at a coffee shop and I would be very surprised if he is not for the passage of Res. 4.
Then why make a statement that many could feel is a statement against Res. 4?

Of course, as you put in the other thread, the church isn't built on ads or conviction . . . it's built on the rock.

It just seemed, when combined with the other statements, like a statement against Res. 4.

I'd like to get the cd or dvd of the message.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:

Ditto

It is a mistake to assume these comments were pro or con anything in regards to a comming vote.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 08-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_resolve View Post
Then why make a statement that many could feel is a statement against Res. 4?

Of course, as you put in the other thread, the church isn't built on ads or conviction . . . it's built on the rock.

It just seemed, when combined with the other statements, like a statement against Res. 4.

I'd like to get the cd or dvd of the message.
It may be like saying... Nothing can rock the church... advertising will not change the message.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Thanks DB & SH for the posts. It appears I'm off on the Res. 4 overtones.

I still believe the Elders are worried about more than just the younger generation stepping up. I mean, just from the reports of this NAYC and from personally being at past one's . . . the young generation IS stepping up - though perhaps not in the way the Elders would like them to.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Maybe it's called Politics... ....
Old 08-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Pride of the Neighborhood

Keep 'em guessin'

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Deacon, I would have to agree with you. I, in no way can say for sure how Brother gleason stands on res. 4 for sure. However, I heard him preach a message at Mississippi camp just a few weeks ago that would lead me to think he would be in favor of it.

He talked about the need of us being relevant to our culture. He even used the Amish community as an example. It was a wonderful message that I thought took a lot of boldness to preach in what some consider to be a more conservitive district.

Doctrine makes a wonderful servant but a horrible master!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 PM
God's Son

Sounds like I was right. NAYC is years behind the times and shows no signs of catching up.

It's a shame politics invaded youth events. Pro or con opinions about the res. has nothing to do with issues kids are facing. Kids are facing tougher issues than television advertising. A youth event is no place to make a political statement.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV