Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaDon View Post
No... I expected that, since I was questioning the scriptural merits of certain statements he made, that he would provide other passages of scriptures in support thereof. Are we not admonished to establish ALL truths by the mouth of two or more witnesses? And are not those "witnesses" to be the words of other holy men of olden times who wrote as they were inspired of God?

Insofar as references to the writings of non-apostolic writers, I have no arguments against such, for even I consult them for references purposes ONLY, not to substantiate the scriptural merits of my fundamental beliefs.

Insofar as Morey's writings are concerned, I deemed it quite offensive that a fellow apostolic would even suggest that I consider anything this man might have to say, for in the video I viewed wherein he spoke of the UPCI, he called it a cult. If I am to heed and obey our Lord's commandment to "judge righteous judgment," then I can only deem Morey to be nothing more than a "false prophet," and I choose to avoid such, and would never willingly allow any of my fundamental beliefs of biblical doctrines to be based upon anything which he might assert as truth.

I was converted to the oneness apostolic pentecostal faith after more than 48 years of association with the likes of Morey, and this is yet another reason that I found it offensive for Bro Segraves to suggest that I consult with Morey's writings to ascertain biblical truth.

The thing I found to be scripturally unsound within Bro Segraves writings concerned matters of eschatology, and seeing that this is not the topic of this thread, I did not consider it appropriate to mention its specifics.

I hope that this will enable you to better comprehend the remarks of my previous post.
You still have not provided what it was Segraves was wrong on in the book of Hebrews. Maybe if you feel it does not belong here, start a new thread. Id like to see the verse in question
Old 04-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Brother Treece's works are available through Advance Ministries.That is the only place I see them offered.I have somewhere in my stack of collected things not only his view of textural criticism but an overview of the Pauline Epistles which was very good.The La Dist might have them archived.
I do not agree with all of his views but God bless him for getting out of the box.I have to wonder though why not more indepth study guides are not offered by Oneness people.It would be a blessing.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouvere View Post
Brother Treece's works are available through Advance Ministries.That is the only place I see them offered.I have somewhere in my stack of collected things not only his view of textural criticism but an overview of the Pauline Epistles which was very good.The La Dist might have them archived.
I do not agree with all of his views but God bless him for getting out of the box.I have to wonder though why not more indepth study guides are not offered by Oneness people.It would be a blessing.
I wonder that too. It would be nice if we offered more indepth study and training for Oneness Pentecostals.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:46 AM
HappyPastor2

Seagraves not a KJVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
You got a link? Kinda weird that a bunch of professors are endorsing any text on a website....

I have an email discussion with him years ago and I think he no longer endorses that book you are reading because through continuing studies he has changed on some positions....however I don't know that such a change includes NOT supporting the TR. He did tell me that his preferred bible was the NKJV over the KJV as far as TR based translations go
I know for certain that Brother Seagraves' position has changed with regard to the KJV. Brother J.R. Ensey recently wrote "This Book We Call the Bible." It too downplays the "KJV only" belief that is fairly common in our ranks and gives a great overview (possibly the best I've seen) of translations. It's an excellent read. By the way, if anyone is looking for a great English translation in more modern English - you might try the ESV (English Standard Version). It seems to retain the granduer of the KJV, is highly readable, and seems to be faithfully translated from texts the KJV only crowd would still favour. I still preach primarily from the KJV but refer to the ESV often.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPastor2 View Post
I know for certain that Brother Seagraves' position has changed with regard to the KJV. Brother J.R. Ensey recently wrote "This Book We Call the Bible." It too downplays the "KJV only" belief that is fairly common in our ranks and gives a great overview (possibly the best I've seen) of translations. It's an excellent read. By the way, if anyone is looking for a great English translation in more modern English - you might try the ESV (English Standard Version). It seems to retain the granduer of the KJV, is highly readable, and seems to be faithfully translated from texts the KJV only crowd would still favour. I still preach primarily from the KJV but refer to the ESV often.
I have the ESV in my E-sword....is it public domain?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

I am taking Greek classes from Dr.Klein who is a Jewish born again Oneness teacher.He teaches free online biblical Hebrew and Greek classes.He is about to start teaching out of an Apostolic Church in Kentucky along with Dr.Bernie Wade and others.I would rather look at the text myself and read it and do the grammer and see what it is saying.That is the best way to study,also you can see the definitions from a oneness viewpoint instead of one that translates it according to another understanding.To me that is the best blessing.There are things we can see in original manuscripts that those without revelation of who God is cannot see.God is so good.I am so glad I know who He is.Its only by grace that I do.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPastor2 View Post

I just bought a couple of ESV versions after reading a great article by Mark Driscol, the famous Seattle Pastor who gets himself in hot water for his outspokeness in a city that embraces a PC view only.

Here is the article:

http://www.marshillchurch.org/content/esv
Old 04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouvere View Post
I am taking Greek classes from Dr.Klein who is a Jewish born again Oneness teacher.He teaches free online biblical Hebrew and Greek classes.He is about to start teaching out of an Apostolic Church in Kentucky along with Dr.Bernie Wade and others.I would rather look at the text myself and read it and do the grammer and see what it is saying.That is the best way to study,also you can see the definitions from a oneness viewpoint instead of one that translates it according to another understanding.To me that is the best blessing.There are things we can see in original manuscripts that those without revelation of who God is cannot see.God is so good.I am so glad I know who He is.Its only by grace that I do.
I've taught myself a little amount of greek, but not near as much as I would like. I can recognize some characters so that I can look at a greek text and notice certain words like articles etc etc. I've thought about taking some greek at one of the local schools. We have a Lutheran college nearby, but I bet it's pretty expensive.

With E-sword you can get several greek texts including the TR with strongs numbering
Old 04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
HappyPastor2

Quote:
I have the ESV in my E-sword....is it public domain?
I have it on e-sword also. I don't think that I paid an access fee. Maybe so.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I've taught myself a little amount of greek, but not near as much as I would like. I can recognize some characters so that I can look at a greek text and notice certain words like articles etc etc. I've thought about taking some greek at one of the local schools. We have a Lutheran college nearby, but I bet it's pretty expensive.

With E-sword you can get several greek texts including the TR with strongs numbering
Do you have DSL? Are you willing to buy books and study? There is a group that is going to begin in the evening.