Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

What's Most Important-- Doctrine or Holiness?

What do you think is more important?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Re: What's Most Important-- Doctrine or Holiness?

1 John 4:7-8
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

If you don't have this with along with doctrine or holiness, you've missed the whole point.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:00 PM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by derAlte View Post
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

If you don't have this with along with doctrine or holiness, you've missed the whole point.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Doctrine is the teaching of Jesus. It tells us what to believe and do. Holiness is our separation unto Jesus.

Dont try to make it without both.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

This is where the "Well I'm against anything those guys over there do so I'm gonna be a contrarian when it comes to ANYTHING they believe." mindset shows itself.

I've seen people make fun of Charismatics by saying all they believe you need is love and all they wanna preach about is love.

This is usually preached in a highly derisive manner where it's a understood point that "we are nothing like them and we need to be separate" do it's gotten where if we go back to the Book and point out that maybe...just maybe, that something that IS listed in scripture and not only listed but listed as fruit or PROOF that the Spirit is living and working in a believer, may be a wee bit more important than let's say, a outer standard from the 50's....well that's just hogwash from a charismatic hooligan that's as just as sinful as a Bible School PreacherBoy™ fornicating with a music Major...jk.

We don't actually focus on things like that, we'd rather say,"Sinful as two boys kissing" cause it's easier to address strawman violations than actually things that are actually going on.

Yes, that was a loooong sentence typed as a paragraph so let me save you the strenuous effort of pointing that out while ignoring the substance of my post.

All that to ask this, do you believe your outward Holiness trumps the need for development of the Fruit of the Spirit?

Can what we wear or what we don't wear and what we grow or cut justify the lack of or negate the need for focus on teaching FOTS and discipleship that encourages it's growth?
Old 06-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derAlte View Post

Thank you smart person for posting.

It is nice to see nice people post.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

They are both equally important. Must not have one without the other. I would also say holiness is a biblical doctrine so its really not quite right to separate as if its one or the other.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

You can't have holiness without doctrine. It takes doctrine to have true holiness. As Jesus is the doctrine, and that's His Spirit the Holy Spirit that makes you Holy.

True holiness is impossible apart from walking in the doctrine of Jesus Christ. But holiness is not just what's on the outside, it has to come from within, and then becomes seen on the outside. Just because I wear a white button up shirt, some slacks, and I shave doesn't make me holy. Holiness comes from the Spirit of Holiness, that effects the outward man and the way I dress. Not because I dressed a certain way, now I am holy.

Outward standards before a inward transformation of the Holy Ghost, is no different then putting a cart in front of a horse...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCml...GfzdAfhWLzbz1A
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name channel where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE to my channel!!

Last edited by 1ofthechosen; 06-11-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Falling in line it seems, but I'd say the two go together. Doctrine leads to holiness.
The wonderful thing about praying is that you leave a world of not being able to do something, and enter God's realm where everything is possible. He specializes in the impossible. Nothing is too great for His almighty power. Nothing is too small for his love.
(Corrie ten Boom)