Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Banned

Re: What to expect?

Well, according to you, no; and that is all that matters. I note that there is no marriage ceremony in Scripture? As long as you two consider yourselves married--heck, I'm pretty sure that whether you consider yourselves married or not--God considers you married. (when you 'marry,' hello--right?)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post

Well, according to you, no; and that is all that matters. I note that there is no marriage ceremony in Scripture? As long as you two consider yourselves married--heck, I'm pretty sure that whether you consider yourselves married or not--God considers you married. (when you 'marry,' hello--right?)
Ya know, that is how we've always seen it. We have been faithful & loving & respectful more so than most married couples we know, and for more years than most our age. I think it boils down to this: Everyday I feel the call to make an effort & so does she, not filing the papers with the courts keeps us always working at a better life for both of us & we never assume that anything is certain, or for granted.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Marriage isn't just about some piece of paper or your legal couple status with the government. It's about the vows. It's about declaring, once and for all, that this is the one you want to spend your life with. The paperwork, and even the ceremony itself, are mere formalities. More for those attending than for the couple.

Genesis 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Matthew 19:5
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Mark 10:7
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

They're all saying the same thing, that husband and wife become one in the spirit. I understand your point, and have heard that before, but I have to respectfully disagree with it. The ceremony is important insofar as it's a way to publicly declare your commitment to each other.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

I would like to add, not that I've had time to read into everything yet, but that this helped a Great Deal as to what to expect...

I think anyone new to an Apostolic Church should read this link over, as it didn't answer all my questions but many!

http://miraclesinaction.weebly.com/a...ble-study.html

This finally made some sense as I was battling Acts 4 w/ Acts 2... over the speaking in tongues... Not saying I've read enough yet, but gaining a much clearer picture

"John the Baptist's Disciples Acts 19:1-6

And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.(KJV)

The apostle Paul met some of John the Baptist's disciples in Ephesus. When he found that they had not heard about the Holy Ghost, he asked them how they had been baptized. When he found that they had been baptized by John the Baptist, and not in the name of Jesus, he reminded them that John had told his converts that they were to believe on one who would come after him; that is, on Jesus Christ. After Paul had explained this, John's disciples accepted this deeper truth that was revealed to them and wanted to be rebaptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. After being baptized, they received the Holy Ghost when Paul prayed for them. Again, the sign that they had received the Holy Ghost was that they spoke with tongues."

Still slightly confused about Acts 4:29 as I understood one could also show evidence of the Holy Spirit by speaking Boldly of God, not only in tongues.... but....
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMisfits View Post
...Still slightly confused about Acts 4:29 as I understood one could also show evidence of the Holy Spirit by speaking Boldly of God, not only in tongues.... but....
Ah, well, join the crowd we are debating that now, and the concept seems to hinge upon ones understanding of baptized (...in the Holy Spirit) which some have a much more..."literal," we'll say, def of than others.

All one need do, really, is come to believe that "...with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues" must be added on to the end of Acts 2:38 (and nevermind about any reservations you might have about adding to Scripture) and you'll be fine. Tra-la.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Ah, well, join the crowd we are debating that now, and the concept seems to hinge upon ones understanding of baptized (...in the Holy Spirit) which some have a much more..."literal," we'll say, def of than others.

All one need do, really, is come to believe that "...with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues" must be added on to the end of Acts 2:38 (and nevermind about any reservations you might have about adding to Scripture) and you'll be fine. Tra-la.
Maybe....

The whole thing comes down to 70/30 from what I have had time to research so far, weighing in on tongues.

After putting much thought into it, personally I'm also about 70/30. As I was "baptized" in a baptist church when I was 12, and it didn't seem to change anything, didn't feel anything, but then I was young and had less a clue about it then I do know (so I was basically following suit.)

I'm not one knowledgable enough in scripture to say who's right or wrong, but I can say this Apostolic Church, and what they say, and how they say it, and the presence in the air, makes the time I spent in the baptist church I grew up in seem completely pointless.

Do I want to be saved, be filled? Very much so, but I feel no matter what is preached that it cannot be that simple. (nothing good comes easy) I do not feel "everyone" can be saved. I believe there is true evil in this world that cannot be reversed.

Now, I do feel that if I can learn enough, work hard enough, and change enough of who I am and what makes up my reality then yes, then I feel there will be a future point when I can truly be saved....
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 AM
On the road less traveled

Hi Newbie, welcome to the forum. Have been not posting much lately, as I am still grieving the loss of Sis. Cindy. I see that she posted on your thread.

But, as I just read through this thread today, I wanted to share with you that your questions and searching reveal that you desire a closer relationship with the Lord. The best way I know to find the answers you are looking for, is to take time to simply immerse yourself into the Word of God, and ask the Lord as you read for His Spirit to open your eyes to see and understand.

For me, the thing that has drawn me closest to Him was when I began reading and studying the Word of God, one book at a time, just not a scripture or two, and studying out the meanings of the words using a concordance, and praying and asking the Lord for His wisdom to teach me things I did not understand. By no means have I "arrived", but I believe that the Bible is a book of Life, that reveals more and more to you, the more you read it. It is alive, new, and serves fresh manna every day to the heart that is hungry.

I will be praying that the Lord Jesus will answer many of the questions you have in your heart, and that this will in turn will lead you into a closer relationship with Him.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

For the 3rd attempt to reply here... "Tokens expired, go back and refresh.."

Thanks for the nice words Kept'

I am very sorry for your loss, and I didn't know Cindy, but it is evident that almost all of AFF did, and there is a lot of love here for her. May these coming days bring you peace...

I agree on the reading, just have no time it seems...

Since a week ago, I have seen how overly complicated my life is, and although I've been burning the brakes off trying to slow it down to allow such time, this place still seems like a run-a-way train....

Oddly enough I've been wondering where I can pull such time from, and then found myself spending an hour the other day on facebook, (which we just decided to join 2 weeks ago.)

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to stop corruption flow and the lack of time with my family, rather than just facing the facts and getting RID of what is causing this!

So we've decided to rid FB (yes it is evil in the end), I'm going to cut the cable line post modem to the cabin, I've already rid the living room tv & revamping to make it a family room instead.... plan to time schedule the router access... more to come....

After leaving the Menno's, our life & family has been in limbo, and while we were down-&-out the corruption snuck right in, but somehow I never saw it, or turned a blind eye to most of it....

So, considering that I don't derail this train, and the brakes don't give way, I should be opening up some good quality time to put to good efforts, such as getting back into reading the word...

Peace be with you Kept'