Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
the ultracon

For 3 days, where was Jesus' soul?

Strange question, yes. Tonight at home freindship group someone said they were asked this question.

Did Jesus descend into hell while his body lie in the tomb. They said it had to do with Christ getting the keys to death hell and the grave.

What say our noted bible scholars of AFF?

What are the scriptual references to this?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: For 3 days, where was Jesus' soul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
Strange question, yes. Tonight at home freindship group someone said they were asked this question.

Did Jesus descend into hell while his body lie in the tomb. They said it had to do with Christ getting the keys to death hell and the grave.

Hell is not the same place as the Lake O` Fire in Revelation. It is the place of the grave and all righteous men went there...David. Abraham. Moses...

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post

Good question!!! I was always told that He descended into the pits of Hell during that time. But I've never seen scripture for it. I'm going to be watching this thread for some answers Thanks for asking!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
the ultracon

Seems like I recall a scritpure about him visiting souls in prison. I have not got my concordance out yet.

Thought I'd get some differing views her first. Thanx Prax & Margie
Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Hell is not the same place as the Lake O` Fire in Revelation. It is the place of the grave and all righteous men went there...David. Abraham. Moses...
Prax, I'm not disagreeing with you - nor am I agreeing. Only because I've never heard this before. Can you please give Scripture and help me understand?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

1 Peter 3:18-20 (KJV)
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: [19] By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; [20] Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Matthew 12:40 (KJV)
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Prax, I'm not disagreeing with you - nor am I agreeing. Only because I've never heard this before. Can you please give Scripture and help me understand?
ISBE
The English word, from a Teutonic root meaning “to hide” or “cover,” had originally the significance of the world of the dead generally, and in this sense is used by Chaucer, Spenser, etc., and in the Creed (“He descended into hell”); compare the English Revised Version Preface. Now the word has come to mean almost exclusively the place of punishment of the lost or finally impenitent; the place of torment of the wicked.

In the King James Version of the Scriptures, it is the rendering adopted in many places in the Old Testament for the Hebrew word she'ōl (in 31 out of 65 occurrences of that word it is so translated), and in all places, save one (1Co_15:55) in the New Testament, for the Greek word Hades (this word occurs 11 times; in 10 of these it is translated “hell”; 1Co_15:55 reads “grave,” with “hell” in the margin). In these cases the word has its older general meaning, though in Luk_16:23 (parable of Rich Man and Lazarus) it is specially connected with a place of “torment,” in contrast with the “Abraham's bosom” to which Lazarus is taken (Luk_16:22).

Easton
Hell
Derived from the Saxon helan, to cover; hence the covered or the invisible place. In Scripture there are three words so rendered:-

(1.) Sheol, occurring in the Old Testament sixty-five times. This word sheol is derived from a root-word meaning “to ask,” “demand;” hence insatiableness (Pro_30:15, Pro_30:16). It is rendered “grave” thirty-one times (Gen_37:35; Gen_42:38; Gen_44:29, Gen_44:31; 1Sa_2:6, etc.). The Revisers have retained this rendering in the historical books with the original word in the margin, while in the poetical books they have reversed this rule.
In thirty-one cases in the Authorized Version this word is rendered “hell,” the place of disembodied spirits. The inhabitants of sheol are “the congregation of the dead” (Pro_21:16). It is (a) the abode of the wicked (Num_16:33; Job_24:19; Psa_9:17; Psa_31:17, etc.); (b) of the good (Psa_16:10; Psa_30:3; Psa_49:15; Psa_86:13, etc.).

Sheol is described as deep (Job_11:8), dark (Job_10:21, Job_10:22), with bars (Job_17:16). The dead “go down” to it (Num_16:30, Num_16:33; Eze_31:15, Eze_31:16, Eze_31:17).

(2.) The Greek word Hades of the New Testament has the same scope of signification as sheol of the Old Testament. It is a prison (1Pe_3:19), with gates and bars and locks (Mat_16:18; Rev_1:18), and it is downward (Mat_11:23; Luk_10:15).

The righteous and the wicked are separated. The blessed dead are in that part of Hades called paradise (Luk_23:43). They are also said to be in Abraham's bosom (Luk_16:22).

(3.) Gehenna, in most of its occurrences in the Greek New Testament, designates the place of the lost (Mat_23:33). The fearful nature of their condition there is described in various figurative expressions (Mat_8:12; Mat_13:42; Mat_22:13; Mat_25:30; Luk_16:24, etc.). (See HINNOM.)

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Not Prax, but I believe he is referring to the fact there are three different words in scripture that the KJV translates as hell.

Sheol, hades, and gehenna. All three have a different meaning.

But scripture teaches that death and hell will be cast into the lake of fire.

Rev. 19:20 (KJV)
And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Rev. 20:10 (KJV)
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Rev. 20:14-15 (KJV)
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. [15] And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Rev. 21:8 (KJV)
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChTatum View Post
Not Prax, but I believe he is referring to the fact there are three different words in scripture that the KJV translates as hell.

Sheol, hades, and gehenna. All three have a different meaning.

But scripture teaches that death and hell will be cast into the lake of fire.

Rev. 19:20 (KJV)
And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Rev. 20:10 (KJV)
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Rev. 20:14-15 (KJV)
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. [15] And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Rev. 21:8 (KJV)
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Exactly....the problem is is that HELL is not a greek or hebrew word. The KJV translators used it to cover three different greek and even hebrew words and church tradition turned Hell into the lake of fire

Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Boy! We certainly simplify things for our Sunday School kids, don't we!!

I'd never heard of any of this before. Interesting. I'm not sure I've digested it all yet. I need to read through it several more times.