Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-21-2022, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Re: How to reach a Mormon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
Reminds me of a situation many years ago, where a guy from school was invited to join us at church. He was a faithful Catholic, and went to mass regularly with his mother, but he enjoyed spending time with us. He went to several services, and even went with us to family camp one year.

At one point he came close to getting the Holy Ghost, all while still attending Catholic services. At some point he was informed that if he continued to attend services with us, he would not only be excommunicated, but would be cut off from his only living family, his mother. Sadly, but not unsurprisingly, he chose to abandon going with us and went back to being a good Catholic. I pray that some seed of faith was planted in his heart, but I don't know where he is these days (I think I last heard he moved to Commiefornia).
This reminds me of an elderly couple we once had coming to our church. They had been faithful Baptists their entire lives, and they had raised their family as such. When the father and mother started coming to our church (when they were in their 70s), the father ultimately saw the realization of Jesus Name and he and his wife were baptized. His wife suffered from dementia so I am unsure just how much she was able to understand with her memory sliding.

It all stopped when their family starting coming against them strong. The father started pushing back from revelations that God had given him and within months they had drifted back to their Baptist church they had been going to for over 50 years. The mother has passed now and the last I heard, the father wasn't doing too well.

My pastors still enjoy a healthy relationship with this gentleman and hear from and visit him often. His family now pretty much tends to him full-time, and any chance of him coming back to church with us seems slim. They're those "you don't have to live like that" group of people, and they're only going to take him to their home church.

It's a sad situation.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Last edited by Bro Flame; 09-21-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:19 AM
New User

How does someone come close to getting the Holy Ghost?
Old 09-21-2022, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
How does someone come close to getting the Holy Ghost?
People seeking the Holy Ghost and perhaps they have stammering lips, but yet the tongues don't quite come. You can feel and see the Holy Ghost moving all over them, but it just doesn't quite get edified.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:51 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
People seeking the Holy Ghost and perhaps they have stammering lips, but yet the tongues don't quite come. You can feel and see the Holy Ghost moving all over them, but it just doesn't quite get edified.
The quivering lips you see in Pentecostal churches is not what you will find in Isaiah 28:11.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
Reminds me of a situation many years ago, where a guy from school was invited to join us at church. He was a faithful Catholic, and went to mass regularly with his mother, but he enjoyed spending time with us. He went to several services, and even went with us to family camp one year.

At one point he came close to getting the Holy Ghost, all while still attending Catholic services. At some point he was informed that if he continued to attend services with us, he would not only be excommunicated, but would be cut off from his only living family, his mother. Sadly, but not unsurprisingly, he chose to abandon going with us and went back to being a good Catholic. I pray that some seed of faith was planted in his heart, but I don't know where he is these days (I think I last heard he moved to Commiefornia).
That's sad.

A Pastor friend of mine was telling me a story that happened in Ashland, WI. He was a Youth leader at the time, he described to me an awful situation that is similar to yours, yet maybe a little more forward with their intentions.

A young man from the Indian reservations was coming to Youth meetings they had on a regular basis. He was going to church, it took a little bit for the young man to start getting into it, (pardon the expression). This young man had 100% approval from his parents to attend youth meetings, church services etc... it only came to a head when the young started to be affected by the meeting/s he was attending. As soon as he started praying at the alter, he wanted to be filled with the Holy Ghost, he asked to be baptized. His parents caught word, and they kept him away from the church. The Youth Pastor called as a follow up, and the Mother told him, I would rather have my son on drugs, than in church!