Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Sister Alvear

Re: Apostolic Assembly News-surprising footage

praying for the souls that are hurting...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Blessed and Highly Favored

There has been a lot of wrong and corrupt things going on in the AA for many years. What is happening is that back in the day no one questioned the pastor or those in authority. Their word was worth gold. Hispanics (I'm hispanic) , they tend to be very prideful and stubborn. So when pastors or anybody with authority in the church said something, it was correct. No one questioned anything. Even back then shady things were going on but few knew about. So it was almost easy to get away with doing wrong.

It all has changed. The AA has a new generation of people that are more educated, who question things that do not seem right, etc. This is something the GB or AA do not know how to handle. They have been caught with their hand in the cookie jar. We live in the age of the internet and nothing is private. What do we do when we need to find out something? Most likely Google it AND THERE IT IS, just like that. In this case the GB is coming up with excuses why they are removing pastors. And they are not done. Anyone who crossed that line with GB are getting the boot. Men of God who worked hard and dedicated their lives to their church and the AA.

I read in a blog that one of the GB members had ordered his business cards before the elections. So you know the elections had been fixed. Another thing that I found out to be quite interesting is that a majority of the pastors who were excommunicated are from Texas. I also read the the AA headquaters are moving to Texas. Hmmm, maybe some of the GB members will take over the pastorships in Texas. Close to the new headquaters.

As I watched those videos, it really hurt me because I loved being a part of the AA at one time. All these pastors that got the boot were men of integrity. I enjoyed when Bro. Baldemar Rodriguez preached even if it was mostly in spanish. You felt the annointing. No, he may not be perfect, but he loves God and loves the people of God. My prayers are with all of them. Not only did the GB hurt the pastors, they have hurt their members, and so many in AA. Indeed we are living in the last days.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
*~*Jeanette*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
SisJean7 welcome to AFF In Jesus Name.I trust no believers lose out over this situation.
Thanks Scott!... I have been a member of this forum for a while but had never posted, just read. I felt the need to reply here since it is something affecting my family. Pastor Torres is a great man of God, no doubt about that. I know their church will continue on no matter what happens. My family has shown their support and will continue to do so. I don't attend his church any more for other reasons but I was a member there for 6 years. His church is where my family and I were saved. It still holds a special place in my heart. I currently attend a local UPC church and have been there for the past 4 years. I visit the Apostolic church from time to time for special occasions. Pastor Torres and his father were my first pastors. I pray that no matter what, Pastor Abel Torres continues to lead the people of his church as he has thus far. God bless them all.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Blessed and Highly Favored

I sent an encouraging email to Pastor Baldemar Rodriguez yesterday. He responded back today. He said that he has been receiving emails and calls from so many to encourage him and his new church. They are meeting every Sunday @ 2 at another church. I'm so excited for them because God is going to do something big for them. After the storm comes the blessings.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:38 PM
*~*Jeanette*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm05 View Post
I sent an encouraging email to Pastor Baldemar Rodriguez yesterday. He responded back today. He said that he has been receiving emails and calls from so many to encourage him and his new church. They are meeting every Sunday @ 2 at another church. I'm so excited for them because God is going to do something big for them. After the storm comes the blessings.
That is great to hear. I emailed Bro. Avila but have not received a response. It was just a few words of encouragement. I know the Lord is with them. They are currently meeting at the Promiseland Theatre (Kenneth Phillip's church, in Austin, Tx.)
Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Dan, talked with my sister last night who is still in the AA and she gave me some insight as to the inner workings of this dilemma.

At the General Convention in 06, several names were nominated for positions by the general electorate. These names were then carried directly to an "evaluating committee" for their approval before coming back to the floor for a final vote.

The "evaluating committee" decided they did not want these men in those positions and shot down the voice of the people. This was legal according the by-laws of the AA. This committee has existed for years and my personal family has felt the wrath of this committee. This committee is appointed by the General Board and not voted on by the people.

These men who were removed and chose to sue the AA, knew the rules to the game and had participated in them for years, Bro. Rodriguez being the Supt. for 16 years himself.

These men were trying to force change from without the Organization, hoping the courts would force the AA to remove this committee. This did not happen because the courts are not interested in church politics. They only enforce the originating by-laws. What the AA did was legal according to their by-laws, but highly unethical.

According to insiders, there isn't any real checks and balances and changing the by-laws would have to come from the General Board, the people have no say. My sister did not know of any internal venue by which change could come from. This is why these men sued, attempting to force change.

I don't agree with the lawsuits, these men knew the game they were in and if they did not agree should have removed their names from consideration.

Once the AA won the suit, they sought to remove those pastor's who did not agree with their policies. This of course was vengeful and vindictive. Hope this helps shed some light on the matter.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysharp View Post
Dan, talked with my sister last night who is still in the AA and she gave me some insight as to the inner workings of this dilemma.

At the General Convention in 06, several names were nominated for positions by the general electorate. These names were then carried directly to an "evaluating committee" for their approval before coming back to the floor for a final vote.

The "evaluating committee" decided they did not want these men in those positions and shot down the voice of the people. This was legal according the by-laws of the AA. This committee has existed for years and my personal family has felt the wrath of this committee. This committee is appointed by the General Board and not voted on by the people.

These men who were removed and chose to sue the AA, knew the rules to the game and had participated in them for years, Bro. Rodriguez being the Supt. for 16 years himself.

These men were trying to force change from without the Organization, hoping the courts would force the AA to remove this committee. This did not happen because the courts are not interested in church politics. They only enforce the originating by-laws. What the AA did was legal according to their by-laws, but highly unethical.

According to insiders, there isn't any real checks and balances and changing the by-laws would have to come from the General Board, the people have no say. My sister did not know of any internal venue by which change could come from. This is why these men sued, attempting to force change.

I don't agree with the lawsuits, these men knew the game they were in and if they did not agree should have removed their names from consideration.

Once the AA won the suit, they sought to remove those pastor's who did not agree with their policies. This of course was vengeful and vindictive. Hope this helps shed some light on the matter.
My pastor and several others in my church were in the AA previously. I heard somewhat what was posted here .... but with a key difference.

From what I've heard from several of these former AA members, the problem was not that the committee just acted arbitrarily and tossed anyone they didn't want. The problem was the committee didn't state the reasons for removing several from consideration. The reason wasn't due to grudges, favors or anything ... the reason were these men were just plain not qualified or didn't pass the rules set in place.

Unfortunately these men felt they should sue, which is somewhat arrogant ... someone suing because they weren't chosen for a position they felt they should be in, and turns out they weren't qualified per the rules to be in the position.

About the the AA removing these men ... it's sad and I hate to hear all of the pain and emotions this is causing. However, how could the AA continue to fellowship or allow these men to remain in the organization. And why would these men want to be in an organization whose General Board they just took to court?

Perhaps it could have been done another way ... but I think the AA is doing the best thing, for the organization and for these men, by removing them from the organization.

Also, these Pastors knew what they signed on to when they joined the AA. They knew the GB has control over their churches and could move in to take them whenever needed. Why suddenly is this an issue? They should have worked to make changes long before complaining about it now and definitely before suing others in the church.

JMHO
Old 07-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

I have a AA Evangelist preaching for me this week and he said he does agree the AA was in the wrong in their 06 Convention...

He compared some of the Bishops to "mafiosos"

said it's dangerous to speak out because they'll take your church away..
Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_resolve View Post
My pastor and several others in my church were in the AA previously. I heard somewhat what was posted here .... but with a key difference.

From what I've heard from several of these former AA members, the problem was not that the committee just acted arbitrarily and tossed anyone they didn't want. The problem was the committee didn't state the reasons for removing several from consideration. The reason wasn't due to grudges, favors or anything ... the reason were these men were just plain not qualified or didn't pass the rules set in place.

Unfortunately these men felt they should sue, which is somewhat arrogant ... someone suing because they weren't chosen for a position they felt they should be in, and turns out they weren't qualified per the rules to be in the position.

About the the AA removing these men ... it's sad and I hate to hear all of the pain and emotions this is causing. However, how could the AA continue to fellowship or allow these men to remain in the organization. And why would these men want to be in an organization whose General Board they just took to court?

Perhaps it could have been done another way ... but I think the AA is doing the best thing, for the organization and for these men, by removing them from the organization.

Also, these Pastors knew what they signed on to when they joined the AA. They knew the GB has control over their churches and could move in to take them whenever needed. Why suddenly is this an issue? They should have worked to make changes long before complaining about it now and definitely before suing others in the church.

JMHO
While I do agree with you in principle, some of these men who got the "boot" were long time (40year) members. Bro. Baldimar being the General Supt. for 16 years. Not qualified would be an understatement.

My sister did say the reason was not given or made public...which led to more speculation. Bro. Solomon from Co. is a fine man. These men would have been an asset to any position they held.

Growing up in the AA, I can tell you there is a "mafioso" mindset and "inner circle". Penetrating that can be dangerous to your ministry in the AA.

Not to mention their stand against women. The "muchismo" spirit is alive and well!
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Pot Stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorA View Post
I have a AA Evangelist preaching for me this week and he said he does agree the AA was in the wrong in their 06 Convention...

He compared some of the Bishops to "mafiosos"

said it's dangerous to speak out because they'll take your church away..
Yea, I've heard that this is the way they have their church structure
set up.

I was talking to a relative about this the other day. It's hard to
know what is the right govermental set up. I've seen horror stories
with every system and setup.

I've seen independant churches where the pastor goes into
some nutty doctrine and the people have no church authority
to fall back on. They lose everything too.

Then you have what you described and that can be fatal too.
church boards can be good but they can be a disaster too.
sometimes wealthy families start controlling the church with
their money instead of letting a Man of God find direction.
the wealthy families control the pastor and the church. Then
on the otherhand, you have pastors that have no board and
become dictators