Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Hispanic Pentecostalism

I've been on some YouTube kick lately, and especially Pentecostal stuff on YouTube. I found this video;
"The deceiving of my people" Pentecostalism among hispanics
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kkbQNF7nEpg

I LOVED the music in the background (it's the Hispanic in me)...

What say we? Do we look like this? Do Hispanic Apostolics look like some of these Hispanic trinitarian Pentecostals? Is it ok to look/act like this? Does this display a lack of the fruit of the Spirit of self-control? If Bro. Dan Alicea and/or any other Hispanic Pentecostals, or those who have been around the Hispanic Pentecostal/Apostolic could give their perspective, I think it'd be really interesting to read.

The man who made this video was raised trinity Pentecost, and is now a Calvinistic-Reformed believer (like so many who have left Pentecost, strangely).

My own experience with this sort of thing is limited. When I went to Spanish church, it was Free Methodist, we got a little crazy, but nothing like the Pentecostals... I have Hispanic trinitarian Pentecostal family in Florida and Texas, though, and I have heard of some of their experiences.

GOD BLESS!
Bro. Alex
Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Re: Hispanic Pentecostalism

Brother, am I correct to assume that you have never experienced anything like what they are experiencing in this video?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Brother, am I correct to assume that you have never experienced anything like what they are experiencing in this video?
I have experienced mass hysteria like this. Have I ever experience mass hysteria in a Hispanic Pentecostal church? No. Although I have been to some crazy Misionera churches, and Methodist churches like I mentioned.
But what say you, brother? Is this right behavior, regardless of whether this is Hispanic or white church?

GOD BLESS!
Bro. Alex
Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sept5SavedTeen View Post
I have experienced mass hysteria like this. Have I ever experience mass hysteria in a Hispanic Pentecostal church? No. Although I have been to some crazy Misionera churches, and Methodist churches like I mentioned.
But what say you, brother? Is this right behavior, regardless of whether this is Hispanic or white church?

GOD BLESS!
Bro. Alex
Mass hysteria? It seems your mind is made up, Brother. I don't have a problem with what I saw in the video. In fact, I used to spin around like a top and I can promise you it wasn't mass hysteria. My family has its roots in a Spanish Pentecostal Church of God, and they used (notice used) to worship that way, so, when I encountered that kind of worship in apostolic churches it didn't shock or surprise me.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 AM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

Loved the music!!!! Well, here is the deal, when I get to Heaven, after much reverent thanks to my Lord for everything He did for me, I plan on making these Latinos in the clip look like they are on Decaf...That's why I don't mind at times practicing down here!!!! Alex, if ya don't like it, do NOT plan on standing next to me!!!!

BTW, I'm Latino not Hispanic....I don't like to be called any thing with the word PANIC in it, he he he
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Jellybean!

God created man to express emotions. People go to sporting events and get very excited when their team scores points. They dance with passion. (We see this example several times in the OT.) Every man expresses it differently.

Some are much more boisterous, vocal, and physical about it.

Some like to worship quietly; controlled and serene. Others will put their entire beings into it.

I don't see how you can label one right, and one wrong.

I happen to be one of the boisterous ones...I'm with the Monkey...don't stand next to me!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

I think a lot of this is just learned behavior. We see others do it so we think we have to do this to be spiritual or feel God. I have no problem with worship but some of the stuff in this video just looks like hysteria. People get caught up in the moment and it is a part of the culture of their church.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Jellybean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
I think a lot of this is just learned behavior. We see others do it so we think we have to do this to be spiritual or feel God. I have no problem with worship but some of the stuff in this video just looks like hysteria. People get caught up in the moment and it is a part of the culture of their church.
I think you're partly right about this, as it seems different churches in different areas have some people that look like thier movements are similar.

But I don't think that negates human emotions. I guess it wells up in some people differently than in others.

Of course it would depend on what's 'socially acceptable behavior' in a specific church/culture. The leader will set the tone for this.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mrs View Post
I think you're partly right about this, as it seems different churches in different areas have some people that look like thier movements are similar.

But I don't think that negates human emotions. I guess it wells up in some people differently than in others.

Of course it would depend on what's 'socially acceptable behavior' in a specific church/culture. The leader will set the tone for this.
Right, I have seen very emotionally reserved people hit the floor or dance when the Holy Ghost moved on them. I am sure that we might not realize how we look when we are emotional as well.

I think that many times folks just follow the leader. I know in our old church the elder pastors thought they had to act a certain way to feel the Holy Ghost. Almost like getting out of the flesh. This was past down to the congregation until those members were mature enough in their walk with God to realize that they didn't always have to act a certain way in order to have a move of the Holy Ghost.

I have shouted and herked and jerked but it was never God that was moving me it was just me trying to get close to God. I had been taught that you have to start shouting in the flesh but you will end in the spirit. So I tried it. I so wanted a move of God in my life that I would act a certain way to find it. When nothing happened I quit acting like that, simple as that.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Mass hysteria? It seems your mind is made up, Brother. I don't have a problem with what I saw in the video. In fact, I used to spin around like a top and I can promise you it wasn't mass hysteria. My family has its roots in a Spanish Pentecostal Church of God, and they used (notice used) to worship that way, so, when I encountered that kind of worship in apostolic churches it didn't shock or surprise me.
Good point, brother, sorry, I should not have given my opinion so soon in the discussion. I can't find a better term to try to look at the worship practices in a critical way, outside of "mass hysteria" though.

My main question, though, is this; Does it look like self-control is lost by the people in this video? Should we EVER lose the fruit of the spirit of self-control? I go to an Apostolic assembly where we clap, dance and shout and whatnot, but I would definately say we are more cautious than most Apostolic assemblies in our worship experience- some say that's good some say that's bad.

I am going to bring up this discussion at Sunday dinner/study if I am able, and I was figuring I'd look for some other takes on my question from a wider range of people, here on AFF.

GOD BLESS!
Bro. Alex