Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Re: Looking for info about Mark Hanby or Verbal Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroad View Post
Have we forgotten what the Bible says in Proverbs about a just man falling 7 times and rises up again etc. I kept reading the post about the fallen Mark Hanby. Who are we to judge. We ALL have sinned and come short. Even if our sin in gossip it is SIN. Which SIN is called for us to be fallen???Just saying. O by the way the last I heard, he is preaching the word!!!
Who now embraces the heretical false gospel of inclusion, propagated by Carlton Pearson (most notably). The same Carlton Pearson who now says homosexual couples are ok with God.

http://apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=14564
Old 05-30-2012, 04:51 PM
God's Son

You know there are people who believe MH would not have done what he did if he stayed with the upc. I'm sure you heard that often.
I've heard a couple of MH messages online. He was teaching so I didn't get the full impact of his oratory skills. His material is hard to find online. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I am very aware of the entire MH situation and if by mothership you mean the UPC org your statement makes no sense.

I will not rehash MH's moral failures here but they had nothing to do with any organization. They were the failures of a man who at some point became a shell of his former self as his considerable charisma and speaking ability took over.

I think from an early age he knew the power of his oratory skill and it must have been a constant battle to remain submitted in every way to the Lord. He could move an audience like no other preacher I have ever heard. In my opinion he was the most powerful oneness pentecostal preacher of the 20th century (at least the most powerful I have ever heard).

At its peak his church, Truth Church, in Ft. Worth was an amazing place. I can remember going to see their TV program taped around 1978 when he had his program on CBN and also had a small Bible College. Hundreds of people were in the prayer room before service and when you walked in the air was electric.

I remember people talking back then about how you could not have a service with TV cameras going (just about every church has them now for video recording) but even stopping several times to redo things for mistakes (they were taping three 30 minute shows the service I was in) the congregation maintained an attitude of praise and worship. I believe the excitement of bringing the Jesus name message to thousands who had never had a chance to hear it before highly motivated the congregatoin.

Of course keep in mind this was before the 500 channel universe we have today. Back then being on CBN insured a much larger viewing audience than being on a religious network today. You were only competing with a handful of local and cable stations in your time slot.

The night I was there I was with the son of a visiting preacher who was a guest speaker so we were ushered into MH's office before service where he was very kind to a 19 year old Bible College student. He invited us to his ranch the next today to spend time with his son which we did.

I think MH was the best chance Oneness Pentecost had of an amazing breakthrough preacher who could have introduced Jesus name baptism to a large number of people. Since MH's fall we have seen this same pattern of failure among many successful preachers featured on mass media. Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, the guy in Colorado, etc, etc. While I still think mass media is a good way to reach people it is clear the same talents and personality traits that make a person a good media preacher also makes them susceptible to failure. As my pastor said a few months ago "human beings were not designed to be worshipped". That is why so many celebrities who seem to have it all (money, fame, adoration) are drug addicts or alcoholics.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1a View Post
You know there are people who believe MH would not have done what he did if he stayed with the upc. I'm sure you heard that often.
I've heard a couple of MH messages online. He was teaching so I didn't get the full impact of his oratory skills. His material is hard to find online. Any suggestions?
You might try to listen to some of his sermons from the mid to late 70's for an idea of what he was like in his prime.

Of course my idea of a great sermon has evolved over the years and if I heard those same sermons today I might not be as impressed as I was back then.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1a View Post
Here http://www.faithbuilder.us/
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I do not mean to judge...
I used the same qoute in a conversation with my brother about a popular preacher in our org. at that tme. He told me that I shouldn't be judging.I told him I meant that if the big guys fall what will happen to the little guy.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Elder Bean preached for an pastored Black folks when it was not popular in the deep South.
What is a "pastored Black folks"?
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
That Elder Epley! ....... You have to admire that prodigious memory of his.
Hello friend, long time no hear!!!
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
What is a "pastored Black folks"?
Brother, I think what Bro. Epley was saying was that "Bro. Bean preached for, and pastored black folk" when it was not popular to do so, in the south.

Falla39
Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Just read up on Joe Duke. All I can say is wow. If you are living in sin, why even attend one of the services he is preaching if you don't want to come out of sin?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyFire View Post
Just read up on Joe Duke. All I can say is wow. If you are living in sin, why even attend one of the services he is preaching if you don't want to come out of sin?
Is this the same or related to the one that was around hayward, CA?