Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

T. Wynn Drost fired!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O1P-WypQ6U&sns=em
Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Re: T. Wynn Drost fired!

Dear Friends of the Global Missions cause:

It is with a heavy heart I communicate with you a concise overview of what has taken place with the missionary appointment of Brother T. W. Drost. On several occasions, the Global Missions Board (GMB) and/or Global Missions administration has dealt with Brother Drost and have endeavored to be understanding, longsuffering, patient, and merciful.

Over the past fifteen months we have been dealing with a volatile situation in our work in Mexico. We initially received correspondence from several high-level leaders of the UPC of Mexico (IPUM) stating there were problems in the work there. This was communicated to Global Missions as well as our General Superintendent, Brother David Bernard. Although the work in Mexico is considered to be nationalized, the United Pentecostal Church International continues to offer insight, wisdom, and support as needed and requested.

Global Missions and the General Superintendent attempted to work through this with Brother T.W. Drost. After discussion with Brother Bernard about the importance of his legacy and in an effort to avoid disunity and division in the church, Brother Drost decided to resign as Bishop President of the IPUM and communicated this in writing to the church in Mexico. The Global Missions Board supported Brother Drost’s decision to resign and communicated this to him in October of 2011, felt this was in the best interest of the work in Mexico.

Brother T.W. Drost changed his mind about resigning. We asked Brother Drost to meet the GMB in February of 2012 but due to passport issues, he could not travel outside of Mexico. Therefore, the GMB sent a committee to Mexico to meet with him and hear his side of why he did not fulfill the directive of the board. In this meeting, Brother Drost stated emphatically, “I will not obey a directive from the Global Missions Board. I answer to God. My calling is from God. You cannot tell me what to do with my life and my ministry.” Regrettably, this attitude had been manifested and documented on previous occasions.

Upon receiving this report from the committee, the Global Missions Board voted unanimously to withdraw the missionary appointment of Brother T.W. Drost. Brother Drost attempted to appeal to the Ministerial Appeals Council. However, our decision had nothing to do with his ministerial license; therefore it was not within their jurisdiction, so the matter was referred back to us.

Brother Drost appealed to his Regional Director and the General Director and was given an audience with the entire GMB in August of 2012. There he promised the board that he would return to Mexico and resign immediately as Bishop Superintendent, per his letter and the GMB directive. The GMB voted unanimously to uphold their decision regarding Brother Drost’s missionary appointment and to observe the situation in Mexico. To date, Brother Drost has not resigned as promised.

In March 2012, a considerable portion of leadership left IPUM.

In consultation with Brother Bernard, a unity conference has been proposed in order to bring the work back together. The brethren that departed have agreed to the unity conference. However, we have not received an answer from Brother Drost and/or IPUM regarding their acceptance.

Our sincere hope and prayer was that this would all be resolved and the church could move forward. That is the reason we have not communicated concerning this before now. Now that Brother Drost has addressed this publicly we are compelled to clarify our perspective. Brother T. W. Drost lost his missionary appointment due to insubordination to the GMB and being in direct violation to the agreed upon terms of his missionary appointment.

Sincerely,

Bruce A. Howell
General Director of Global Missions

BAH/btl
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Wow.

I suppose that is the letter that was sent out to all the other missionaries????

What was their [GMB] reason for asking him to resign in the first place? And if they don't actually have jurisdiction, and were simply "suggesting" that he resign, how DOES that constitute insubordination??????

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road

Last edited by MissBrattified; 11-15-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

If someone is guilty they take credentials. Drost has his credentials just
Lost his missionary appointment.. Politics has hung the most prominent upci missionary.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Administrator

I watched the entire video. Does anybody know what the disagreement or opinion he expressed that was deemed "insubordination" and caused the UPCI Missions department to terminate him?

I also have to say I thought it was very petty for the Global Missions to demand that this missionary sell a six or eight year old car with 160,000 miles and send them the money as well as the same for household appliances that were similarly old.

If we are reduced to seeking restitution for almost 10 year old vehicles and appliances something is wrong. Even if the reason for termination is legitimate I would have expected some graciousness and consideration for over 40 years of service.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"

Last edited by CC1; 11-15-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

The upci of Guatemala, El Salvador,Mexico and one other nation I can't recall all grew under Drost. When he went to Mexico there were 2k constituents, now there are 100k.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I watched the entire video. Does anybody know what the disagreement or opinion he expressed that was deemed "insubordination" and caused the UPCI Missions department to terminate him?

I also have to say I thought it was very petty for the Global Missions to demand that this missionary sell a six or eight year old car with 160,000 miles and send them the money as well as the same for household appliances that were similarly old.

If we are reduced to seeking restitution for almost 10 year old vehicles and appliances something is wrong. Even if the reason for termination is legitimate I would have expected some graciousness and consideration for over 40 years of service.
big ten four, i know the family well,his mom is still doing well ,i think in her late 80's early 90's,i used to hang with his brothers and we played to together as kids.his family and parents preached for my dad back in the day. we will never know what the PROBLEMS are i guess.Great family ! PS i suspect he wont be intimidated

Last edited by canam; 11-15-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charity View Post
The upci of Guatemala, El Salvador,Mexico and one other nation I can't recall all grew under Drost. When he went to Mexico there were 2k constituents, now there are 100k.
That is really a sidebar, and regardless of years of service, it would be a mistake to attribute this to one person. God gives the increase.

If Bro. Drost is going to take this public (as he obviously has), he needs to make clear why he was asked to resign in the first place. The GMB is not being forthcoming with this information, so why isn't Bro. Drost? Was it an arbitrary decision, the reasons of which he is still unclear? Or was he given the reasons and doesn't want to share them?

I do agree with CC1; the car/appliance stuff seems petty.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road

Last edited by MissBrattified; 11-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

DKB posted this

Since the situation in Mexico has become a matter of much speculation, I will make a few comments. First, everything has been fully handled by the Global Missions Board and reported to the General Board, covering a time period of more than one year. Thus, we have over 125 elected elders who have been dealing with the situation in direct fulfillment of their delegated responsibilities. It doesn't mean they are infallible, but it does mean that we must respect their decisions. Even after the latest GMB action, there was a right to appeal to the General Board, but the minister did not avail himself of that option.

Second, it is not possible for boards to divulge confidential matters. We don't want to cause speculation, and we don't want to harm reputations. We are at a disadvantage when someone chooses to go public with their side of the story, because we can't tell the whole story. The GMB has issued a letter of explanation, which is posted on WS and which tries to answer questions while respecting the dignity and confidentiality of the process, including the reputations of ministers.

Third, as general superintendent I have been personally working with the situation from 2010 until now, and roots of the problem go back before my tenure. I personally attended the General Conference in Mexico in 2011 and have first-hand observations as well as direct communications with many ministers. I have tried to be a mediator and facilitator, acting in good faith. There were many serious questions and concerns raised about our missionary, who was also the superintendent of Mexico. It doesn't mean that all the concerns or allegations were accurate, but it does mean there were very serious issues that needed to be addressed. In response, in personal conversation with me he announced that the solution would be for him to resign voluntarily. I agreed that it was the best for the unity of the work. He announced this decision in writing to the ministers of Mexico. The wording of his announcement left some concern about whether he intended to ask for a vote of confidence or a reelection. I discussed his intentions personally with him a second time. He reiterated his decision and issued a second communication to the ministers of Mexico announcing that his decision to resign was "irrevocable." He called a special conference to elect his successor.

At that point, the Global Missions Board instructed him to make his resignation effectively immediately, so that the National Board of Mexico would guide the process of electing the successor instead of having him preside over the election conference. In response, he rescinded his decision to resign, and he gave two reasons: first, he didn't think the GMB should have any right to instruct him, and second, the church would split unless he remained superintendent. In retrospect, his actions could lead one to question whether he ever truly intended to resign or not.

Because his new decision opened all the questions again, the National Board conducted a partial investigation of some questions and proceeded to remove him from office, per their constitution. He challenged his removal and called for a special conference, over which he presided. He did not allow evidence concerning the underlying questions but limited discussion strictly to whether the ministers thought the National Board had the right to remove him. By a very narrow margin, if memory serves, something like 106-99, the ministers voted that the National Board could not remove him, so he retained his office.

As a result, the church has split basically 50-50, with most of the leaders leaving the UPC of Mexico, including the vice president, secretary, treasurer, legal representative, and the majority of the National Board. His decision to cancel his resignation caused the very thing he said was trying to prevent, the very thing that GM and I had worked so hard to prevent.

From my perspective, he did not submit to his authority as a missionary, which is the GMB, and he did not submit to his authority as a national leader, which is the National Board. Moreover, he did not keep his commitment to his general superintendent and did not even consult his general superintendent when he unilaterally changed the plan that they had mutually discussed. At least, he had the ethical and organizational responsibility to discuss his new plan with his general superintendent (or GM director) before changing what they had agreed.

Finally, the GMB has worked very hard not to make this decision final. Even now, as general superintendent of the UPCI and as chair of the Global Council (which consists of all national churches of the UPCI), I have issued a call for a unity conference. The leaders who left have agreed to attend the unity conference. The leader in question has not responded. Apparently his response is to state his opinions on You Tube and by email.

Regardless of the underlying questions and concerns, at some point there has to be submission to leadership and there has to be a sincere effort to restore unity. Public attacks and debate don't seem likely to produce such an outcome. It's like the story of dividing the baby. At some point, it is best to concede one's rights than to fight to the disunity of the body. Having said that, I have striven to protect everyone's rights, including that of the minister, while keep the focus on what is best for the body.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post

big ten four, i know the family well,his mom is still doing well ,i think in her late 80's early 90's,i used to hang with his brothers and we played to together as kids.his family and parents preached for my dad back in the day. we will never know what the PROBLEMS are i guess.Great family !